Shooting death of armed 20-year-old UMass student after mental health incident with police prompts protest

Even if this is classified as a mental health event, I can assure you there isn't an EMT or Paramedic in the state that would engaged in conversation this guy if he had a weapon. The police NEED to be there. At any moment his self harm could have turned violent towards an innocent civilian or EMS personnel. Everyone that works in the field knows scene safety comes before anything. Shit, I won't even ride in the back by myself with anyone who has claimed to have been SA anymore. There's too many horror stories out there.

From the $43k+ narrative from his GFM:
He was shot and killed by Cambridge police officers on January 4th in broad daylight. .
Broad daylight, that was cold blooded. Didn't have the courtesy to wait until it was dark out.

Here's the only video on the matter I've seen so far. Inconclusive, but I'd throw it out there that it appears he was running from like 4 officers at the time, not towards them. But who knows if he doubled back later.

seriously. the guy is cutting himself, he's a danger to no one. Cops show up, suddenly he a danger to THEM, and they shoot him
Let’s play this through. I’m not saying you are wrong, just a mental exercise.

If you saw a guy in jump out a window and start cutting himself with glass and a machete, would you

A. Ignore it and go about your day

B. Call police

C. Try and intervene yourself

My initial instinct is to call the cops. I want to help the guy, but he’s obviously batshit crazy and armed so I’m not going near him unless I know him personally.

I think calling the cops was the right decision because it’s reasonable to think the guy is also a danger to others in the area. If he hacked up some kid walking by, I’d feel horrible about not trying to do something.

Aside from a few full retard cases, all of these mental police “Victims “ would have been fine if they didn’t attack the police. Also, the fact that he chose to attack the police (who everyone k owns are armed) lends certainty to the thought that he posed a danger to the public.

Unless he only went after the cops so they would shoot him, but I wouldn’t gamble my life on it.

Work a day with mentally unstable people and then you'll know. I do it daily , in a setting where they are all violent either to themselves or others. It's challenging, especially mentally. There is no easy solution when they act out , some situations can be de-esculated quickly , but very seldomly.

seriously. the guy is cutting himself, he's a danger to no one. Cops show up, suddenly he a danger to THEM, and they shoot him
Lol... i mean put yourself in their shoes... unstable person cutting themselves with a big ass knife. Im sure they couldve done something different elsewhere but being keyed up after an introduction like that is a valid response

Here's the only video on the matter I've seen so far. Inconclusive, but I'd throw it out there that it appears he was running from like 4 officers at the time, not towards them. But who knows if he doubled back later.

Until I see more, I'll just say, running away is the same as running towards with a weapon. If you don't engage, you lose containment, you lose the perimeter. As someone else said, he might have been cutting himself at the moment, but it's not a stretch to cut someone else. Blades are terrifying, the amount of damage you can inflict in a short time is something to behold.

Anyone keep track on how many of these parent calls to help their kid/young person. Turns into why did you shoot my kid/young person?

Is it more effective with dish detergent on it?
After reading venomousgrin's post, it is made by pepperball, so it probably is soaked in pepper spray, and as StevieP alluded to in his post, the sponge round wont be lethal if you shoot them in the eye with it.

Back
Top Bottom