• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

shooting coyotes in back yard

Farmers and ranchers have plenty of good reasons that most city folk consider to be no reason at all.

What seems like nothing to you is a huge deal to someone who makes his living off the land.

I learned a few things living so many years in Kansas.

ETA: Down there ranchers will kill any yote in sight. It's not a matter of if they have caused problems for him. It's a matter of when. Same goes for prairie dogs.

I agree with you there, if you're keeping live stock out west, then smoke 'em if you got 'em.

But he said he didn't have any live stock, and didn't mention any attacks or what not, so I didn't think it was necessary to shoot them.

This whole idea about being quiet when you eliminate the problem Coyote is all wrong . What you want to do is take out your loudest gun in your inventory (S&W 500) and fire one single round into the unsuspecting Yote. Then quickly run into your front yard and gaze up at the sky with an extremely shocked look on your face. When your neighbors show up tell them that a air force jet just flew by at low altitude and produced a sonic boom. With only the single shot they will never know what happened.

This whole idea about being quiet when you eliminate the problem Coyote is all wrong . What you want to do is take out your loudest gun in your inventory (S&W 500) and fire one single round into the unsuspecting Yote. Then quickly run into your front yard and gaze up at the sky with an extremely shocked look on your face. When your neighbors show up tell them that a air force jet just flew by at low altitude and produced a sonic boom. With only the single shot they will never know what happened.

[rofl] Minus the dead coyote.

They any good to eat?

09132a.jpg

+1

when you can't use a firearm...

treble_hook_150wide_shadow.jpg

+

TBoneSteak1.jpg

Hang it about 3 ft. off the ground off of a tree branch when your dog and your kid are inside. Do it at night when the dog is inside. Works every time.

My dad used to do this back home in the midwest when the neighbors would start calling him about shooting, etc. when the grandkids/etc were coming around town. Just make sure to remember to take it down in the morning... it doesn't always work every night and you don't want the pup to get tangled with it.

He didn't use as big of a treble hook, but you get the idea.

It depends on where you are in Whitman. My dad popped a raccoon in the basement with a .410, and took down a possum in the back yard with a .22 and no one even noticed.

I'd be willing to bet you could throw a few .22's downrange before anyone even knew they just heard gun shots.

Although I don't condone breaking the law, I agree.[grin]

No kidding? You'd be willing to bet his LTC/FID, etc? Cool!

I would be willing to bet his LTC.[smile] My LTC is a whole different story.

To the OP, If the Coyotes are bothering you, and you can't kill them legally set some traps and have Animal control come and re-locate them.

I would, I just don't like shooting animals for no reason.

You obviously are not very familiar with yotes as they are not animals. They are giant rats who kill the deer population.

Around these parts we shoot them any chance we can. Even by spotlight after January 1 [smile]

I have all anti gun neighbors and I don't hesitate to rid my self of any pesty raccoon possums or woodchucks, though I do have chickens which gives me some justifications.

Legal? Not sure if neighbors would even call police, but curious to laws surrounding this.

If you have livestock you're free to shoot any coyote or even a neighbors dog that threatens the stock.

If you don't have livestock your best bet is to simply call the local PD, tell them the coyotes are being a nuisance, and ask what your options are. Their answer may depend on what type of neighborhood you live in, how close the neighbors are, etc.

Also, although the traps some have mentioned may work, you could end up getting in far more trouble using the traps than you would if you shot them. Of course that depends on the nature of the trap itself.

The water Idea works well, 55 gallon drum works great for skunks plus you dont get any of the smell.

You could always buy A chicken, when the Coyote comes around, kill it in defense, and have a nice Chicken dinner to celebrate. OR a turkey, with Thanksgiving right around the corner saves a bit of the Store rush!

You could always buy A chicken, when the Coyote comes around, kill it in defense, and have a nice Chicken dinner to celebrate. OR a turkey, with Thanksgiving right around the corner saves a bit of the Store rush!

This gives me an idea.

Chicken bait rentals. Call for rates:

-hourly
-daily
-full weekend.

* No banjo-hillbilly sh*t allowed.

This gives me an idea.

Chicken bait rentals. Call for rates:

-hourly
-daily
-full weekend.

* No banjo-hillbilly sh*t allowed.

Funny I actually have "bait" that wanders my yard...most of my birds live in the coop with a couple roosters, but as the birds reproduce once any chicks develop into roosters those roosters get moved outside the coop. So we have a pack of roosters (with an "escaped" hen or two) that wander the yard (neighbors yards too). I refer to them as bait, whenever something comes to harrass my critters this pack of roosters puts up a good fight, and work well to distract whatever is around from going after the "real" livestock...This "pack" of roosters is actually quite friendly, but yes we loose a member or two of the pack every so often (I can't be home every minute to hear thier alert)...

What about the Gamo? I've taken dime size holes out the back of chipmunk skull @ 30yards. Do you think I could take one out with a head shot? I seen a coydog this morning, but was to far from the house. I hear them every full moon, 100yrds from the house.

Back
Top Bottom