shooting coyotes in back yard

I wouldn't use any rimfire on coyote, as that is inhumane to this awesome animal. If you intend to keep the pelt, I wouldn't use anything larger than a .223, and most would argue the .17 Remington is the ideal for this. They recently expanded the season, so you have more time to hunt them. If you are really trying, you might even see one when you are out hunting. I think they have a range of about 4 miles. If you want more info, go check out www.coyotegods.com and look at the forums there.

otherwise:
Looking for a coyote rifle

coyote hunters check in here!

.204 VS. .223

Coyotes

Question regarding coyotes

This gives me an idea.

Chicken bait rentals. Call for rates:

-hourly
-daily
-full weekend.

* No banjo-hillbilly sh*t allowed.

It is funny you mentioned bait.

I heard a story of a guy who's wife had a really annoying little yapper dog. Well, during the night season in Maine he would crate up the dog while his wife was sleeping and take him out to sit in the middle of a field. A month and 4 dead yotes before the wife found out what was happening [smile]

I heard a story of a guy who's wife had a really annoying little yapper dog. Well, during the night season in Maine he would crate up the dog while his wife was sleeping and take him out to sit in the middle of a field. A month and 4 dead yotes before the wife found out what was happening [smile]

That's frigging hilarious! [rofl]

Poor bastard wonder how much time he spent in the crate after his wife found out what he was doing?

My 14lb little yapper doesn't seem to realize that the (extremely bold) coyotes that we see near us would whip his little ass. Under street lights in our condo complex they've walked within 10-15 yards, or less, of us. When I've yelled at them and made loud noises (that should scare them off, right!?!) they just look at me funny, walk into a small patch of woods and continue to watch me. Problem? I' live in a condo complex and can't f!@#in" shoot them! Too close to the road, buildings and lame neighbors.

My 14lb little yapper doesn't seem to realize that the (extremely bold) coyotes that we see near us would whip his little ass. Under street lights in our condo complex they've walked within 10-15 yards, or less, of us. When I've yelled at them and made loud noises (that should scare them off, right!?!) they just look at me funny, walk into a small patch of woods and continue to watch me. Problem? I' live in a condo complex and can't f!@#in" shoot them! Too close to the road, buildings and lame neighbors.

09132a.jpg

May I reiterate.

Earlier tonight we had some coyotes in the wooded portion of our backyard. We have about 75ft of usable backyard before the forest takes over, from there maybe another 100ft to the edge of our property line. One of our Jack Russel terriers was outside on his run when we heard the coyotes howling. They were not in our yard but I suspect they were in the wooded part of our property. I figure there were at least two of them based on the howling. About 10 minutes later I stuck my head out my 2nd floor window and could hear at least one running around.

Now I know our Jack would put up a fight, maybe even enough of a fight to keep one coyote at bay, but not two or more.

I thought about grabbing my 270 since our 10/22 is out of commission (needs to be re-zeroed as it is waaay off) but I had better judgment since I don't have a hunting license, it is night and a .270 WSM makes a big BOOM!

If only we had a silenced rifle...

And no, I can't use a compound bow, I'm a computer geek with no strength lol.

......snip
And no, I can't use a compound bow, I'm a computer geek with no strength lol.

I prefer recurves, I'm a little more on tradition but, there are some really nice crossbows to be had for short money. I don't have any now, I did have a pair a number of years ago but have since disposed of them. Very accurate, very powerful. You pretty much have all the experiance to use one if you have a 10/22 and .270 and are a halfway decent rifleman. It would just be a matter of hold over/under for ranging that you'd need to figure out if it's a low end model. Not that I'm condoning night time jacking but, I'm more or less expressing a muse.

From MA DFW Abstracts:

Season: Oct. 7 - Mar. 8, 2010

Coyote & Fox -Hunting hours end at midnight. Artificial lights prohibited. Rifles chambered to take larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire ammunition and pistols and revolvers larger than .38 caliber are prohibited between the hours of 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise (night time). Shotguns are allowed (see Shotgun Ammunition, page 5). Firearms other than shotguns and bows and arrows are prohibited on WMAs stocked with pheasant or quail during the pheasant and quail season. Coyote and Fox must be tagged within four working days of the end of the season.

I prefer recurves, I'm a little more on tradition but, there are some really nice crossbows to be had for short money. I don't have any now, I did have a pair a number of years ago but have since disposed of them. Very accurate, very powerful. You pretty much have all the experiance to use one if you have a 10/22 and .270 and are a halfway decent rifleman. It would just be a matter of hold over/under for ranging that you'd need to figure out if it's a low end model. Not that I'm condoning night time jacking but, I'm more or less expressing a muse.

How about an ar15 with a crossbow upper?

Crosssbows are illegal to hunt with in massachusetts unless your paralyzed....for some reason.

Unless you're being harrassed I wouldn't shoot a coyote. I do carry a handgun as a precaution when I take my dogs (rhodesian ridgebacks) into the woods, but no "nonrabid" coyote would attack a pair of 100lb "lionhounds".

Coyotes are "density breeders". A den will have an alpha male and alpha female. They are the only two that will breed. There could be 5 or 6 other less mature coyotes in the pack but they will not breed... unless something happens to the alphas... Then they could conceivably all breed.

If you wipe out the den, other coyotes will migrate in and repopulate the area within a year or two.

Shooting them is not the answer, unless they are old and sick, rabid or become aggressive toward you or your children. Then unleash everything you have!

Learning to live with them is the better alternative.

Agree with Shemp above. Also, don't shoot them out of season, as that could leave starving pups in the den.

Unless you're being harrassed I wouldn't shoot a coyote. I do carry a handgun as a precaution when I take my dogs (rhodesian ridgebacks) into the woods, but no "nonrabid" coyote would attack a pair of 100lb "lionhounds".

Coyotes are "density breeders". A den will have an alpha male and alpha female. They are the only two that will breed. There could be 5 or 6 other less mature coyotes in the pack but they will not breed... unless something happens to the alphas... Then they could conceivably all breed.

If you wipe out the den, other coyotes will migrate in and repopulate the area within a year or two.

Shooting them is not the answer, unless they are old and sick, rabid or become aggressive toward you or your children. Then unleash everything you have!

Learning to live with them is the better alternative.

You are kidding right? Learn to live in harmony with the coyotes? [rofl]

For what they do to the deer and partridge population in our area they should all be destroyed. Of course that is just my opinion [smile]

You are kidding right? Learn to live in harmony with the coyotes? [rofl]

For what they do to the deer and partridge population in our area they should all be destroyed. Of course that is just my opinion [smile]

That's a different issue. I was addressing coyotes in suburban/rural suburban areas. I have a friend who lives up on West Grand Lake in Maine. He always has a loaded hunting rifle with scope and tripod next to his back door. As soon as the lake ices over he sees coyotes chasing deer onto it... He has quite a collection of skins.

In Maine, the coyote season runs from Jan.1 to Dec. 31 and I would not hesitate to shoot one anytime "in season" for just recreation.

Crosssbows are illegal to hunt with in massachusetts unless your paralyzed....for some reason.

You dont have to be paralyzed , you just need a note from your doctor saying you cant draw back a recurve or compund bow. The form is on MDFW website . I know a few guys with messed up shoulders who use Crossbows.

The right idea.

Legal? Not sure if neighbors would even call police, but curious to laws surrounding this.
To be legal on your end you would need to satisfy all of the above to include: FID Card, valid hunting license, open coyote season, 500 ft from a dwelling (not your own-neighbors), 150ft from a paved road, centerfire no larger than .22, but even if you meet the aforementioned you also have to check town hall for an ordinance prohibiting hunting or discharge of firearms. Environmental Police are very helpful with info as well. The reality is that the coyote population has exploded all over the state. If you were my neighbor I certainly would not call the police, but then again I go out of my way to make sure coyotes dont come around. Ive always found a face full of four shot out of a 12 gauge to ruin a dogs day. Good luck hunting.

To be legal on your end you would need to satisfy all of the above to include: FID Card, valid hunting license, open coyote season, 500 ft from a dwelling (not your own-neighbors), 150ft from a paved road, centerfire no larger than .22, but even if you meet the aforementioned you also have to check town hall for an ordinance prohibiting hunting or discharge of firearms. Environmental Police are very helpful with info as well. The reality is that the coyote population has exploded all over the state. If you were my neighbor I certainly would not call the police, but then again I go out of my way to make sure coyotes dont come around. Ive always found a face full of four shot out of a 12 gauge to ruin a dogs day. Good luck hunting.

The 22 caliber restriction is only at night , shoot them with what ever you want during the day . If i remember correctly all calliber restrictions have been lifted in Mass by Mass Devision of Fisheries and Wildlife. Southeast Mass was the last to be removed about 2 years ago.

The 22 caliber restriction is only at night , shoot them with what ever you want during the day . If i remember correctly all calliber restrictions have been lifted in Mass by Mass Devision of Fisheries and Wildlife. Southeast Mass was the last to be removed about 2 years ago.

Yup, deer hunting is the only exception now.

Back
Top Bottom