• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

shooting coyotes in back yard

I don't know about Mass. but in Maine, as long as your 100yrds from other dwellings (or have permission from), and you have a valid hunting license, you are good to go.

getting permission from the neighbors is the key and make sure you follow local restrictions (our town bans the use of centerfire rifles).

Legal? Not sure if neighbors would even call police, but curious to laws surrounding this.

Are you "just" shooting them or are they causing problems for you (your livestock/etc)?

As others have stated you might have problems with the 500ft from a dwelling issue, but depending on where you are and if they are causing a legit issue you may not encounter any problems...

I have the GAMO varmit hunter, and have had one in my sights more then once. I just don't know if a .177 @ 1200fps could knock one down. That would be a good soultion to your problem. They make an X50 that goes 1700fps with the right ammo, also make it in .22 around 900fps.

09132a.jpg

[laugh]

Nah, not unless they're causing damage or threatening lives.

To each his own, as they say.

they are causing problems, the coyote population has sky rocketed that's why the masswildlife has extended the hunting season for an extra 4 months or so to help bring the population down. They are begging people to kill them and its fun so why not.[smile]

they are causing problems, the coyote population has sky rocketed that's why the masswildlife has extended the hunting season for an extra 4 months or so to help bring the population down. They are begging people to kill them and its fun so why not.[smile]

I know they DO cause problems, but he didn't say that they are causing problems for him, that's why I wasn't advocating him shooting them for no reason.

I have and will hunt coyotes, so don't get me wrong, I have no problem blasting them, just in the right context. [wink]

I would, I just don't like shooting animals for no reason.

Farmers and ranchers have plenty of good reasons that most city folk consider to be no reason at all.

What seems like nothing to you is a huge deal to someone who makes his living off the land.

I learned a few things living so many years in Kansas.

ETA: Down there ranchers will kill any yote in sight. It's not a matter of if they have caused problems for him. It's a matter of when. Same goes for prairie dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I see a coyote or fisher-cat near my chickens, it's on. A neighbor lost a few birds already this month. I'm not taking chances.

In VT they are legal to shoot anytime of the year. Open season.

Of course in MA they are not. That would make sense.

I will tag one anytime I have the chance even in MA if I see them in my backyard. I have good pro 2nd Amendment neighbors. [grin] Not taking the chance of them nailing the family cat or dog. Just dont get caught or you could be in trouble.

Rob

2 small children, 25 lb dog, no live stock

As much of your town is fairly "residental" here's what I would do...

#1. obviously if they ever create an imeadiate threat just shoot it.

Otherwise if they are just a nusance in your yard do this...
One shows up: call PD ask if they can come out for a coyote in your yard (chances are you'll be refered to animal control) keep a record of the call and response either by PD of A.C.O., and repeat each time it occurs (1 call per incident, not 100 calls cause not on shows up) After about the 3rd call 1 of two things will happen. EITHER:
A. the PD or ACO will take care of the problem and you will know what they want you to do in the future should it occur again. (having some knowledge of your town I expect this will be the case)
B. after 3+ times of the PD/ACO not showing up or not really "doing" anything, if you decide to take matters in your own hands, and a neighbor notices and bitches causing the PD shows up FOR YOU, even the worst lawyer out there should be able to get any charges dropped with the "we have PD records to show my client called the PD 4 times in a month about this problem but they did nothing, my client had to take action to protect his family, bla bla bla"...

If I see a coyote or fisher-cat near my chickens, it's on. A neighbor lost a few birds already this month. I'm not taking chances.
I second that...and have never had a neighbor complain, honestly I don't think too many people associate 1 "bang" with gun fire...

Last edited:
Saw a fisher in our backyard back in Feb/March late in the afternoon. I ran out there with my mini 14 and shot at it (1 shot). I discovered it is very difficult to:
A. Sneak up on an animal in snow.
B. Hit a moving target with iron sights.

What I should have done was open my window (2nd floor), grabbed my muffs and my .270WSM model 70 w/ scope and blasted that fisher.

Even though I missed, that fisher has never came back.

Saw a fisher in our backyard back in Feb/March late in the afternoon. I ran out there with my mini 14 and shot at it (1 shot). I discovered it is very difficult to:
A. Sneak up on an animal in snow.
B. Hit a moving target with iron sights.

What I should have done was open my window (2nd floor), grabbed my muffs and my .270WSM model 70 w/ scope and blasted that fisher.

Even though I missed, that fisher has never came back.

I've always found it easier to hit a moving target with irons then with glass. I think a fischer would make a really good hat.

Back
Top Bottom