• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting at Denver high school?

I'd be shocked if they were.

If the school broadcast my kid's disciplinary measures to the entire student body and their parents, I'd be ripshit. And so would most any other parent. That's a quick and easy way for schools to get sued.

I've got no clue how Denver Public does its discipline, so I can't say how uncommon this kind of measure would be. But it does seem silly.
Sure but that’s kind of my point. The kid’s so far gone that they have to do this but…then what, do it secretly to protect the sensitive nature of his childhood innocence or something?

He’s already known, in fact, even as a teenager, to historically be an armed and violent criminal. At what point does his right to privacy no longer outweigh the other 99% of those students’ right to life? Or their trust that the adults around them actually have their best interest and safety in mind.

The parents should’ve been notified even if it’s a basic redacted threat assessment warning that doesn’t mention the kids name or whatever.

Sure but that’s kind of my point. The kid’s so far gone that they have to do this but…then what, do it secretly to protect the sensitive nature of his childhood innocence or something?

He’s already known, in fact, even as a teenager, to historically be an armed and violent criminal. At what point does his right to privacy no longer outweigh the other 99% of those students’ right to life? Or their trust that the adults around them actually have their best interest and safety in mind.

The parents should’ve been notified even if it’s a basic redacted threat assessment warning that doesn’t mention the kids name or whatever.

Here's what we don't know, though: how frequently is this kind of "special treatment" applied?

There are nearly 3,000 students at East. Let's say 1% of them are on the hook for hand-searches in the morning (and there's SO MUCH we don't know: was this an "every morning" thing? Was it indefinite, or was it meant as a short-term punishment? Was there due process for him? Who did the searches? What were their qualifications? And on and on...). That's 30 students.

So the school puts out (let's say) a daily email to the parents, listing all 30 names.

What possible meaning could that have for those parents? What could they now do for their students that they couldn't do before? What purpose does it serve? I'm honestly curious why you think that would be useful. Does a parent now say, "Oh, Johnny Smith is getting hand-searched; junior? Don't hang out with Johnny Smith!" You really think Junior doesn't already know Smith's in dutch? Every student in that school would have known who was getting special attention before classes.

Or would the parents keep Junior out of school entirely as long as Smith's getting searched? How does that work? Especially since there are 30 (or 13, or three, or whatever) different kids getting searched every day? Do you keep Junior out indefinitely?

These are things schools need to weigh against the risk of a lawsuit. It's not as simple as it seems.

Last edited:
Here's what we don't know, though: how frequently is this kind of "special treatment" applied?

There are nearly 3,000 students at East. Let's say 1% of them are on the hook for hand-searches in the morning (and there's SO MUCH we don't know: was this an "every morning" thing? Was it indefinite, or was it meant as a short-term punishment? Was there due process for him? Who did the searches? What were their qualifications? And on and on...). That's 30 students.

So the school puts out (let's say) a daily email to the parents, listing all 30 names.

What possible meaning could that have for those parents? What could they now do for their students that they couldn't do before? What purpose does it serve? I'm honestly curious why you think that would be useful. Does a parent now say, "Oh, Johnny Smith is getting hand-searched; junior? Don't hang out with Johnny Smith!" You really think Junior doesn't already know Smith's in dutch? Every student in that school would have known who was getting special attention before classes.

Or would the parents keep Junior out of school entirely as long as Smith's getting searched? How does that work? Especially since there are 30 (or 13, or three, or whatever) different kids getting searched every day? Do you keep Junior out indefinitely?

These are things schools need to weigh against the risk of a lawsuit. It's not as simple as it seems.
10% of 3000 is 300 not 30.
Just saying.

Kid is known to bring weapons to school, since when was expulsion taken off the table?

Or do they not do that any longer?

You can find out, but you'd need to take a little dive into Colorado law to figure out how it works there.

There are many things short of expulsion schools can usually do, but they're all based on state law and they need to be careful not to run afoul of all the various federal court decisions that treat education as a 4A right. Meaning, it's supposed to be very hard to deprive someone of it.

Fair enough, those are legitimate questions and legal concerns that can and should be looked at further for those involved.

It’s kind of a moot point I guess since we’re already past him shooting people. +1 maybe their security procedure was a success since only the teachers took a couple rounds before he got inside. Win win if you look at it that way. No kids got shot and this idiot will do at least 6 hard months of probation for shooting those teachers.

But, when all is said and done f*** ya the parents should always be notified of any legitimate concerns or threats at their school, more so these days when schools across the country have lost so much credibility and trust from lying to and hiding so much already from those same parents.

So it will be interesting to see if anyone sues the school or not for failing to properly notify the actual parents of these kids like they should’ve.

There's schools in New Orleans with metal detectors at the doors. I'm sure the kids are quick enough to learn other doors open, but metal detectors and see through backpacks.

This is the 'Left's' answer:

I'm not seeing the part where young Austin is the one that fired a weapon.
A few hours after the shooting at East High School in Denver, the Denver Police Department tweeted a photo of the suspect and identified him as 17-year-old Austin Lyle. The student was connected to a 2005 red Volvo XC90 with a Colorado license plate. Lyle is wanted for attempted homicide, police said.

A few hours after the shooting at East High School in Denver, the Denver Police Department tweeted a photo of the suspect and identified him as 17-year-old Austin Lyle. The student was connected to a 2005 red Volvo XC90 with a Colorado license plate. Lyle is wanted for attempted homicide, police said.

I'm not disputing the kids is scum. But even that didn't say what the kid DID, just why they say they want him.

Yes, he's Freddie Krueger incarnate, but the article is a word version of that crazy math they're forcing on kids. You "feel" the answer, you don't calculate it.

There's schools in New Orleans with metal detectors at the doors. I'm sure the kids are quick enough to learn other doors open, but metal detectors and see through backpacks.

This is the 'Left's' answer:

Author In 2007 worked for DA Kamala Harris's narcotics Div....lol

Now heading in Prez Cornpops Dept Of Woke Education

Like 'Ole' Kamala she knows how to turn on a dime....carpetbagger

I'm not disputing the kids is scum. But even that didn't say what the kid DID, just why they say they want him.

Yes, he's Freddie Krueger incarnate, but the article is a word version of that crazy math they're forcing on kids. You "feel" the answer, you don't calculate it.
I mean, he's wanted for attempted murder, he's also on a iep that includes being patted down for weapons every morning.

Clearly, he brought a gun to school and started shooting. The details of how or why might be scant, bit there is no other logical conclusion with the details. It doesn't matter if he tried to shoot staff ot kids, it's very clear he is the trigger man. If he wasn't the trigger man it would be difficult to obtain a warrant for his arrest for attempted murder.

If he did not begin shooting it would not be attempted murder. If he defended himself from a teacher it could go either way but the iep that stipulates the weapons pat down would be a heavy indication that this isn't self defense.

I honestly don't know what convoluted logic train you are on about that doesn't involve a conspiracy theory.

What scenario do you have that explains how a troubled kid that has a special plan to be frisked for guns every day before school ends up in a administrative room at school with two staffers and gunfire, followed by his fleeing the scene and getting a warrant issued for his arrest for attempted murder?

The two shot guys were:

"Dean of Culture Eric Sinclair and Jerald Mason, a restorative practice coordinator in the dean’s office".
I'm sure the Diversity Inclusion and Equity (DIE) representatives will be embarrassed once they realize the folly of their ways.

I mean, he's wanted for attempted murder, he's also on a iep that includes being patted down for weapons every morning.

Clearly, he brought a gun to school and started shooting. The details of how or why might be scant, bit there is no other logical conclusion with the details. It doesn't matter if he tried to shoot staff ot kids, it's very clear he is the trigger man. If he wasn't the trigger man it would be difficult to obtain a warrant for his arrest for attempted murder.

If he did not begin shooting it would not be attempted murder. If he defended himself from a teacher it could go either way but the iep that stipulates the weapons pat down would be a heavy indication that this isn't self defense.

I honestly don't know what convoluted logic train you are on about that doesn't involve a conspiracy theory.

What scenario do you have that explains how a troubled kid that has a special plan to be frisked for guns every day before school ends up in a administrative room at school with two staffers and gunfire, followed by his fleeing the scene and getting a warrant issued for his arrest for attempted murder?

So that's what I mean. There ARE no clear facts in the article I read.

This is just as possible based on the facts stated in the article: Austin was sent a message that he would be attacked at school today. He sought to defend himself and brought a gun. (He's not too bright). He's patted down in the principal's office and the gun is found and removed. The teacher fumbled the process of unloading the gun and accidentally discharges it. Austin, in a panic, runs away. Police are called in and because none of this would have happened if Austin hadn't been armed, he is deemed responsible for the shot even though the gun was in someone else's hand. The manhunt is on, but he really didn't do any violent act.

Yes, every word of that paragraph I made up. The article said almost nothing about what actually happened.

It's like describing a hurricane by saying it was really windy and rainy, instead of saying that "Category 5 Hurricane Debby is expected to do damage to Dallas Friday morning, bringing with it, winds up to 130mph and flooding in coastal regions" or however they warn about hurricanes.

And btw, I'm confident that Austin is going to spend many years of his life behind bars, whether for this or something else. But the writer of the article should be doing hard time right next to him, for Crimes Against Literacy.

So that's what I mean. There ARE no clear facts in the article I read.

This is just as possible based on the facts stated in the article: Austin was sent a message that he would be attacked at school today. He sought to defend himself and brought a gun. (He's not too bright). He's patted down in the principal's office and the gun is found and removed. The teacher fumbled the process of unloading the gun and accidentally discharges it. Austin, in a panic, runs away. Police are called in and because none of this would have happened if Austin hadn't been armed, he is deemed responsible for the shot even though the gun was in someone else's hand. The manhunt is on, but he really didn't do any violent act.

Yes, every word of that paragraph I made up. The article said almost nothing about what actually happened.

It's like describing a hurricane by saying it was really windy and rainy, instead of saying that "Category 5 Hurricane Debby is expected to do damage to Dallas Friday morning, bringing with it, winds up to 130mph and flooding in coastal regions" or however they warn about hurricanes.

And btw, I'm confident that Austin is going to spend many years of his life behind bars, whether for this or something else. But the writer of the article should be doing hard time right next to him, for Crimes Against Literacy.
You haven't answered why the warrant is for attempted murder and not a weapons violation.

With all the possibilities for the police and a judge to pick for a charge, it went straight for attempted murder. Not assault with a deadly weapon, not a weapons charge, not even a conspiracy charge- straight up intentional attempted murder.

I'm sure the Diversity Inclusion and Equity (DIE) representatives will be embarrassed once they realize the folly of their ways.

I’ll take that as sarcasm.

It will be blamed on inevitable failures due to structural racism and inherited intergenerational trauma residual to slavery. Denver will fund more soft-target policies.

This sounds like one of those off-color “it’s a damn shame” jokes: It’s a damn shame - another school shooting and the DEI staff survived their wounds.

You can find out, but you'd need to take a little dive into Colorado law to figure out how it works there.

There are many things short of expulsion schools can usually do, but they're all based on state law and they need to be careful not to run afoul of all the various federal court decisions that treat education as a 4A right. Meaning, it's supposed to be very hard to deprive someone of it.
I understand what you are saying, but the little POS can also get all the education he wants at taxpayers expense in a state penitentiary.

I’ll take that as sarcasm.

It will be blamed on inevitable failures due to structural racism and inherited intergenerational trauma residual to slavery. Denver will fund more soft-target policies.

This sounds like one of those off-color “it’s a damn shame” jokes: It’s a damn shame - another school shooting and the DEI staff survived their wounds.
No, I'm totally serious. 100%. How dare you. Getting shot is a small part of the price of reparations that all Americans need to pay for our shameful history of meritocracy. The fact that there are cultures that fail to thrive, even under endless support from tax paying Americans, is proof that we still have a long ways to go in overcoming our bigotry of judging people by the content of their character instead of focusing on making the consequences for actions diverse and inclusive for those that refuse the oppression of believing their rights end where the rights of others begin. ✊ 🏳️‍🌈 ⚒️

You haven't answered why the warrant is for attempted murder and not a weapons violation.

With all the possibilities for the police and a judge to pick for a charge, it went straight for attempted murder. Not assault with a deadly weapon, not a weapons charge, not even a conspiracy charge- straight up intentional attempted murder.

I haven't answered ANY question and nobody else can either, based on the article I read, anyway. The data does not exist in the article.

No, I'm totally serious. 100%. How dare you. Getting shot is a small part of the price of reparations that all Americans need to pay for our shameful history of meritocracy. The fact that there are cultures that fail to thrive, even under endless support from tax paying Americans, is proof that we still have a long ways to go in overcoming our bigotry of judging people by the content of their character instead of focusing on making the consequences for actions diverse and inclusive for those that refuse the oppression of believing their rights end where the rights of others begin. ✊ 🏳️‍🌈 ⚒️
You could probably get a job as a DEIdeology consultant - you got the lingo down! 😉

Back
Top Bottom