• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting and transporting AR-15 into MA

I'll put it this way.
The legislature and police in this state want people to stop owning and shooting firearms.
They want it to be a frustrating, cost and time prohibitive thing to do.
With so many laws on the books that even they have no idea of what they are and how to interpret them correctly as they were intended when written.
The police put up so many road blocks that the people just up and quit trying.
Welcome to what freedom is in this state.
Be glad you left and break off the rear view mirror!

You cant expect the average MA cop on the side of the road to know what FOPA is or for the average prosecutor or judge in MA to care about it. Keep it locked up and tucked away and keep your mouth shut or leave it home.
FOPA allows you to drive-thru without stopping in MA for anything other than gas, quick bite to eat and a bathroom break. Coming to a shoot in MA is not covered by FOPA.

In spite of that MGL C. 140 S. 129C(p) exempts visitors bringing in low capacity (only) long guns and ammo for same for any reason. Just don't expect many cops to know about this exemption.

FOPA allows you to drive-thru without stopping in MA for anything other than gas, quick bite to eat and a bathroom break. Coming to a shoot in MA is not covered by FOPA.

In spite of that MGL C. 140 S. 129C(p) exempts visitors bringing in low capacity (only) long guns and ammo for same for any reason. Just don't expect many cops to know about this exemption.
Might be a good idea for an out-of-state resident to download and print a hard copy of that law and keep it in the long gun case along with the weapon.

Thanks for the citation. I should print this out and keep it in my car for when I come down to shoot flintlocks in Mass. The same exemption that covers black powder rifles, shotguns and ammo covers and "conventional" rifles, shotguns and ammo. As you said, I wouldn't expect cops to know this either and I believe I would have an easier time talking my way out of any problems with a flintlock muzzle loader versus a modern .22 rifle with a box of 22LR cartridges.

"(p) Carrying or possession by residents or nonresidents of so-called black powder rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor as described in such paragraphs (A) and (B) of the third paragraph of section 121, and the carrying or possession of conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside."

I relocated to Southern NH from MA. First order of business was to purchase a AR.

I have been a longtime member of a popular shooting range in Woburn and would like to continue to shoot there while I wait for Pelham F&G to review my application.

I have applied for a MA non-resident LTC about a month and a half ago...waiting...

Once I get my MA non-resident LTC, can I bring my modern AR15 into Ma with a 10rd mag to go pew pew or am I breaking the law bringing a banned (according to Ma) rifle into the bay state to shoot at my club?
Since you like shooting in wouborn so much , can I assume you might be shooting XTC?
If not there is zero reason to come back to MASS . I will say PLEASE do it for the rest of us and stay in free land!

Also note does a ma LTC allow you to come and go with long guns?

Back
Top Bottom