Shooting after dark at an unidentified target equals manslaughter charges

Throw the book at that a**h***. Deers aren't worth someone's life. She's in an open field after hunting hours ended.

I walk my dog LATE during season, with the brightest flashlight I can get, on private property in a mostly open field and I'm deathly afraid of getting shot by some idiot poaching. It's closed to hunting but I see a guy or two a year out there. Boils my blood because some dickhead is going to shoot my mother or the owner while trying to snag a deer a dusk or just after.

I hope that women's kin sues for wrongful death.

According to that article and another that I read, the guy used a pistol, after sunset, from 200 yards away. Does that sound weird to anyone else?

According to that article and another that I read, the guy used a pistol, after sunset, from 200 yards away. Does that sound weird to anyone else?

I would guess that it was a Contender in one of the rifle calibers.

He isn't an illegal with 5 previous deportations and drug charges so he will likely get put away for a long time.

Bob

I would guess that it was a Contender in one of the rifle calibers.

He isn't an illegal with 5 previous deportations and drug charges so he will likely get put away for a long time.

Bob
First thing I thought was tc contender.

Other than being about hour late, no. Oh, and shooting the woman too. Contender in 35 Rem. is pretty potent deer medicine, 357 Max, and for the crazies maybe 35 Whelen, although I'd say 200 yds is pushing it, even from a good rest. I'd also have to think that if you are a good enough shot to be ethically taking that kind of shot, you'd be on the ball enough to be cognizant of where the misses were going to end up, never mind picking your spot on what you are 100% percent certain of what you are looking at. On the jury, I'd have to assume though, he hit what he was aiming at.

Full extent of the law, IMHO. Max sentence.

I don't know but it seems like alot more accidents in the news this season. Is it more attention by media or actually above the norm?

I was shooting the breeze with a couple of avid hunters at the club last weekend when I went to triple check my zero on the deer hunting irons the day before the season opened. One is an instructor for the hunter Ed course in NH. He said he's worried about the new younger hunters entering the fold. Says They grew up with "instant gratification" as a mainstay of their existence. Hunting is counter to that mindset......he believes the accidents are going to increase with this younger crowd taking the field because they are straight up IMPATIENT and more apt to take chances with questionable shots.

Not saying I agree with it......but it's food for thought.

I don't know but it seems like alot more accidents in the news this season. Is it more attention by media or actually above the norm?

It's so hard to tell with the media today but it seems like a lot more to me this year as well.

One is an instructor for the hunter Ed course in NH. He said he's worried about the new younger hunters entering the fold. Says They grew up with "instant gratification" as a mainstay of their existence. Hunting is counter to that mindset......he believes the accidents are going to increase with this younger crowd taking the field because they are straight up IMPATIENT and more apt to take chances with questionable shots.

I agree whole heartedly. Lots more "accidents" coming.

Yesterday at Quabbin I set up with an hour to wait before first light. A half hour later I had 4 "hunters" and set up on the ridge to my right 80-100 yards away. I tried to wave them off with my light but they ignored it. So now I'm sitting with 4 shotguns pointed in my direction. I moved giving up a great spot no deer is worth getting shot over.

Bob

I was shooting the breeze with a couple of avid hunters at the club last weekend when I went to triple check my zero on the deer hunting irons the day before the season opened. One is an instructor for the hunter Ed course in NH. He said he's worried about the new younger hunters entering the fold. Says They grew up with "instant gratification" as a mainstay of their existence. Hunting is counter to that mindset......he believes the accidents are going to increase with this younger crowd taking the field because they are straight up IMPATIENT and more apt to take chances with questionable shots.

IDK many kids who are into hunting, but many of those those that do have been raised as hunters from a young age.

The kids who decided "hey, I wanna hunt" from a non hunting family are the dangerous ones. Taking bad shots because they don't know any better, with unrealistic expectations. They'd probably puke the first time they had to dress a deer, if not as soon as they saw it kick and run. (I'm not playing holier than thou, I was never a hunter and would likely lose my lunch multiple times trying to dress a deer.)
That or they're sadists who just want to maim or kill something.

Unless you are a felony ridden illegal alien during broad daylight, killing someone with a hand gun is Ok if you are one of them.

Don't have a clue here, but what happens if you are 100% responsible for another's death in a car crash, that was purely the result of an accident, not OUI, racing, texting etc. just a really stupid mistake?

Don't have a clue here, but what happens if you are 100% responsible for another's death in a car crash, that was purely the result of an accident, not OUI, racing, texting etc. just a really stupid mistake?
It's my understanding that "manslaughter" is the charge brought when negligence is involved in a death....not the Intent to kill another person. So......being an a**h*** in a vehicle and causing an accident theat results in death of another person is manslaughter. Also making a mistake is negligence and can be manslaughter even if not acting crazy behind the wheel. I believe there are levels of manslaughter charges to deal with the intensity of the negligence but not 100% sure on that.

I'm sure there are lawyers on here with much more detail.....but that's my understanding.

Murder.....has to prove intent to kill another
1st degree pre meditated
2nd degree......in the heat of passion

Manslaughter is no intent to kill someone.....but negligence or depraved indifference caused the death of another.

In this case manslaughter is a fitting charge.

Back
Top Bottom