Shooting 556 through 223 AR

Now, I'll start by saying that I shot hundreds of rounds of 556 through my 223 AR without an issue. It wasn't until recently I stumbled upon some articles. etc about "how dangerous" it is. People seem pretty split on this. Some people swear if you do it, you're going to die a fiery death...while others chuckle at it. Like I said I've done it A LOT without consequence, but now I'm just wondering if I was just lucky, or if it actually IS dangerous. I have 2 ARs one is 223 the other 556, but I only have 556 ammo, so before I get back out there, I'd like to see what some of you guys think.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I own guns, I support 2A and shoot quite a bit off and on but I'm not really an "enthusiast". I know enough to shoot, clean and store what I have but never got into a lot of the technical stuff some people do regarding firearms.

I've done it A LOT without consequence, but now I'm just wondering if I was just lucky, or if it actually IS dangerous. I have 2 ARs one is 223 the other 556, but I only have 556 ammo
What is the exact model of the rifle/barrel barrel on the rifle in .223?

Many barrels stamped as " .223 Remington" are chambered for either

Mostly American Eagle I stocked up on a while back. The 223 is a bushmaster xm15 e2s
Have you run through a chromo? I am will to bet AE is actually loaded to .223 spec. and since you are using a quality rifle and not a PSA or BCA or some other cheapo you would be fine but do so ar your own risk as I am just a rando on the internet

A lot of the coming purse fight was had here, recently:

AE commercial is probably safe.

Mostly American Eagle I stocked up on a while back. The 223 is a bushmaster xm15 e2s
You'll be fine. That AE xm193/xm855 stuff is not loaded to full NATO specs. and the xm15's don't have a particularly tight chamber or anything. I've run plenty of real 5.56 out of .223 marked guns and never had a problem, you'll get some slightly flattened primers in a .223 bolt gun chamber, but nothing scary, it's certainly not dangerous.

Last edited:
A lot of the coming purse fight was had here, recently:

AE commercial is probably safe.
I thought I had deja vu seeing this thread. I'm like didn't we just have a thread about it[laugh]

You'd think if this was actually a problem there would be guns exploding everywhere... or even somewhere. I get the whole tolerances, chamber pressure, etc arguments.... I just doubt that in practice you are gonna blow up a .223 barrel with a 5.56 round.

In the short term you're probably correct

But why provoke the kharma fairy?

NATO/5.56 chamber pressures go up to 62350(?) PSI

223 chamber pressure are in the 54k PSI range

Thats ~20% increase in pressure.......in close proximity to face/eyes/jugular

In the short term you're probably correct

But why provoke the kharma fairy?

NATO/5.56 chamber pressures go up to 62350(?) PSI

223 chamber pressure are in the 54k PSI range

Thats ~20% increase in pressure.......in close proximity to face/eyes/jugular

I’m not advising it, but I again would be pretty shocked to hear about 5.56 blowing up a .223 gun. I’m inclined to think there’s a serious margins of safety engineered in.

Now, I'll start by saying that I shot hundreds of rounds of 556 through my 223 AR without an issue. It wasn't until recently I stumbled upon some articles. etc about "how dangerous" it is. People seem pretty split on this. Some people swear if you do it, you're going to die a fiery death...while others chuckle at it. Like I said I've done it A LOT without consequence, but now I'm just wondering if I was just lucky, or if it actually IS dangerous. I have 2 ARs one is 223 the other 556, but I only have 556 ammo, so before I get back out there, I'd like to see what some of you guys think.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I own guns, I support 2A and shoot quite a bit off and on but I'm not really an "enthusiast". I know enough to shoot, clean and store what I have but never got into a lot of the technical stuff some people do regarding firearms.
Comes down to how the chamber is cut,
I know people who shoot old colts 1/12 twist 223 stamped .....so far only problem was with 77gn and he tried tracers, both jammed the lands and bolt did not lock. Extraction pulled the 77 grain bullet. Tracer came out with rifling marks.

Short of custom chambers , check any commercial 223 barrel/chamber say made in the past 20 years and see how much free bore it has.

I had a Sabre .223 fluted stainless barrel on my first AR and called the manufacturer about shooting 5.56mm in it. They assured me it would eat anything I fed it. Then a few months later they were indicted for selling parts etc. to overseas buyers in violation of some Federal laws.
I would go to shoot thousands of 5.56mm rounds through it. If I only waited a few months, the sale price would have been in the Reptile range.

Directions unclear; penis stuck in rifle and taped up wife. Send help.
If the rifle has a bullet button,
and Less is More,
it could be a win-win.
[shocked]

And with all the manufactures out there worried about law suites how many are still cutting 223 with such a short lead?
The actual solution is the upper is stamped "¿Por Qué No Los Dos?".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom