Shooting 22lr

Just the best IMO. I usually swap between 9mm pistol and 15-22. I plan on upgrading the s&w 15-22 to make it even more special because I enjoy it so much!

I used to shoot a lot of 22 but over the last few years I haven’t shot it much. I’ve got a nice bull barrel 10/22 build that hasn’t been shot since probably 2014...Ruger MKIII hunter since 2016...

I’m trying to change that now that I’ve got a DW 22 revolver. What a fun gun to shoot.

Lately 357 mag 44 mag and 223 have been the go to calibers when I hit the range.

I used to shoot a lot of 22 but over the last few years I haven’t shot it much. I’ve got a nice bull barrel 10/22 build that hasn’t been shot since probably 2014...Ruger MKIII hunter since 2016...

I’m trying to change that now that I’ve got a DW 22 revolver. What a fun gun to shoot.

Lately 357 mag 44 mag and 223 have been the go to calibers when I hit the range.
Our older daughter received a bolt-action heavy-barrelled Savage MK II for her 6th birthday last year. She wanted the 10/22 but I chose the bolt gun so we could concentrate on aimed fire. We started with .22 Shorts, then standard velocity .22LR and finally she is comfortable and accurate with the high-velocity rounds. Next year, she is getting a stainless, heavy-barrelled 10/22 for her 8th birthday. Her younger sister will receive the Savage bolt gun.

I like to imagine I live in a free state and have a suppressor so I shoot Aguila Super Calibris out of my Savage bolt gun. But seriously, this week I plan on ordering the CMMG 22 conversion to shoot 22 out of my SBR. Love me some 22.

Many have said that the SKS, AR15 or other platforms will Rule a SHTF situation, but I say it will be a scoped .22lr rimfire rifle. Good-on-you...

I like to imagine I live in a free state and have a suppressor so I shoot Aguila Super Calibris out of my Savage bolt gun. But seriously, this week I plan on ordering the CMMG 22 conversion to shoot 22 out of my SBR. Love me some 22.
My daughter's Savage .22 bolt-action rifle has a threaded barrel and advertised as suppressor-ready. Purchased it in NH, where suppressor are legal and you just need to obtain the ATF tax stamp. One dealer in MA told me that suppressor-capable rifles were illegal in MA, but could not produce any evidence to support his claim. I just smiled and took little Jill up to Rileys in Hooksett, NH to purchase her first real rifle. That clown's loss was Riley's gain!

In winter my gun that sees the most action is my Smith & Wesson Model 41, 22LR, with an Aimpoint red dot. I shoot on a pistol league. It’s a great way to get out, meet friends, decompress, have some competition and keep up the skills. It’s also super cheap. I don’t have a lot of time so each week and it gives you your shooting fix.

In the summer my Model 41 usually goes with me to the outdoor range. I bring an assortment of calibers but the Model 41 always comes out. Last year I picked up a Henry Silverboy 22 rifle and it is a ton of fun. If you were thinking of getting a Henry just get one. You’ll love it.

Some day I will own a lever action 22.

Only one ???
Those things pop up like weeds around my place.
I have examples from most of the big name and lesser known makers such as Marlin, Winchester, Browning, Henry, Ithaca and Uberti etc.
IMHO, the best deal for the price (on the market right now) is the Henry H001, super smooth action too, but the highest quality one is the Browning BL-22.

Last edited:
Was at the range today and there was a gentleman at the rifle range having a ball a with couple of beautiful old 22s. One was a bolt action, I believe a Mossberg made in 1936. I brought the Mark III but the pistol range was full due to some great weather today. So it was the field course with the bow and a couple hundred rounds out my Henry 357. Nice to be able to get out there and not have to be bundled up. Pete

I have some of my most fun at the club shooting .22lr at the steel at 200 yards. Lucked out with my Marlin 60SS, as it's zeroed at 50, but the drop coincidentally aligns with the reticle where it goes fat, so no clicks neccesary. Usually 12-18" windage compensation, an da round slow enough to see the hits if I miss. Cracks me up, .308 hits the steel, the steel rocks back about 50 degrees and I hear WHAP. 5.56 hits the steel, steel rocks back about half that and I hear thWAck. .22lr hits the steel, got my electronic muffs turned up all the way, the steel sort of shivers, and I hear a "tink". Besides the Marlin, I have a Savage MK2, which doesn't have the range of the Marlin shooting my 3 cent t'bolt, but hits exactly where I aim it at 50 yards. Both guns offer great practice in breath and trigger control, and leave me so relaxed after a session.
We have a .22 league at my club, weeknights in season, which counteracts the guys putting holes through 1" plate lol....

Last edited:
Well, thanks guys. This thread pushed me over the edge and I decided to get a .22 conversion kit for my Beretta 92FS...that, and the fact that I was able to get it for $185 (35% off). For anyone interested, they've since sold out of the 10 round kits, which was the only one I could get, being in MA, but they do still have 15 round kits available. The cost of those would be $208, with the 35% discount (use discount code GIFT35). I'm thinking that this would make a great gun to use for teaching my wife and kids, since it will make for an easier transition from .22 to 9mm, using virtually the same gun.

Frank

Me too but having a hardtime finding a market to unload some . I have many I just dont shoot.
Might have to list on gun broker but trying to avoid shipping.

Can't you still do Gunbroker, but specify "Local Sales Only" meaning Massachusetts only? You will reach many more potential buyers than you would only on HES-Classified alone...

I enjoy shooting my .22s. For many of the same reasons which have already been articulated. They are fun, inexpensive to shoot, and are good training for basic skills.

Can't you still do Gunbroker, but specify "Local Sales Only" meaning Massachusetts only? You will reach many more potential buyers than you would only on HES-Classified alone...
been down that road, you might pick up 5 more lookers... plus I would still need to ship. Dont have the time to travel to far anyway....heck I might even just head to kittery and do a big trade dump?

Me too but having a hardtime finding a market to unload some . I have many I just dont shoot.
Might have to list on gun broker but trying to avoid shipping.
Try armslist as well. Unfortunately I’ve had more luck selling guns on armslist than NES...my DW revolver that’s in the classifieds has already had more activity on Armslist. In fact I’m meeting a buyer this afternoon. Crickets on NES...

Well, thanks guys. This thread pushed me over the edge and I decided to get a .22 conversion kit for my Beretta 92FS...that, and the fact that I was able to get it for $185 (35% off). For anyone interested, they've since sold out of the 10 round kits, which was the only one I could get, being in MA, but they do still have 15 round kits available. The cost of those would be $208, with the 35% discount (use discount code GIFT35). I'm thinking that this would make a great gun to use for teaching my wife and kids, since it will make for an easier transition from .22 to 9mm, using virtually the same gun.

Frank

That is absolutely awesome for a couple of reasons. The first is the obvious, you got a great deal on the conversion kit. It's like getting a new gun for $185 bucks. That is the proverbial "no brainer".
The other great thing is that the 92 in 9mm is one of the softest recoils in a center fire pistol, so when they "step up" to the 9mm, it will be very manageable, and not have much more of a "kick". The 92 is also very accurate, with a great trigger, which helps build confidence in new shooters.
My semi auto 22's prefer Federal Auto Match Grade, and some people swear by CCI, but most 22's don't run well on the really cheap stuff like Thunderbolt .

But you are right, it is a great set up for teaching the wife and kids to shoot. Now you need to start thinking about a rifle.
Congrats.

Love shooting .22. Percent f you are interested in a lever gun, check out the Marlin 39M
Thanks. I will check out that Marlin

OP - No matter what I am planning to shoot, .22's are coming along. I try to buy a .22 model matching each of my centerfire, mounted with the same optics. The Ruger Single Six and Blackhawk .44 Mag almost match, but the .22 grip and frame are a lot smaller

Our older daughter received a bolt-action heavy-barrelled Savage MK II for her 6th birthday last year. She wanted the 10/22 but I chose the bolt gun so we could concentrate on aimed fire. We started with .22 Shorts, then standard velocity .22LR and finally she is comfortable and accurate with the high-velocity rounds. Next year, she is getting a stainless, heavy-barrelled 10/22 for her 8th birthday. Her younger sister will receive the Savage bolt gun.
That is, if your older daughter will give up the Savage. CCI Standard Velocity and CCI Stinger ammo hit the accuracy nodes with mine - Now that I'm getting tiny cloverleaf groups or smaller up to 125 yards, I'm looking for a place to shoot farther.

Took my 13 year old daughter to the range today, shot the Henry lever action .22, Ruger Wrangler & S&W Victory. Hollow point .22LR shooting pumpkins. We had fun.

are the manufacturers even making 22LR right now? I haven't seen any on the shelves in weeks.

I assume so, I’ve seen it in a few different stores/shops and TSUSA gets intermittent shipments. You’ve gotta be quick and or lucky because it moves fast.

I still have a deep seated hate of .22LR but I've gotten into recovery, the G44 goes out almost every range trip. Typically i shoot 100, 150 rounds of it maybe. One of these days i might even get myself a Ruger MKIV.

Back
Top Bottom