Shooting 22lr

peterk123

NES Member
Do you guys shoot a lot of 22lr at the range? I ask because my wife and I are usually good for a few hundreds before we begin shooting anything else. It is fun and inexpensive. We own a semi-auto handgun, revolver, 10/22 and a M&P 15-22 Sport. Some day I will own a lever action 22. Sometimes we shoot paper targets, trying to hit bullseyes. If we can get into the action pit, then it is four steel plates. Feel like a freakin hero using a semi auto on the plates. Good fun.

I rarely ever see others shooting 22s when we are at the range. Such a great round because of low cost and low recoil, so you can really practice your form. Pete

I bought a Ruger MK series so I could shoot more often. plus it is great for teaching with... it just sucks to clean.

The last gun on my Holy Grail is a S&W K-17 I would give my left nut to find the one my Dad had.

The Ruger paid for itself in ammo savings pretty quickly.

I have several .22 lr rifles and semi auto pistols, and THEY always come to the range . Even if I'm only shooting my Marlin Camp 45 my S&W MP 15-22 and my Ruger SR-22 are in my truck box. You never know who will be at the range or what range is too packed to shoot at. Having more than 1 or 2 options makes the drive down to the range all the more beneficial. Also I know and shoot with a few guys who only shoot .22 so if they are there we can shoot in a match on Monday afternoons. I like my .22;s as much as any rifles or handguns and it's a cheaper way to spend a couple afternoons a month just plinking cans on the mid-range, or dropping a mag full of .22's on the cowbell I use for lead 22. Don't get me wrong nothing gets my juices running on all 8 cylinders like throwing 3 or 4 mags on a steel target with my AR, but there are times a .22 is just as rewarding.

Last edited:
22s are great fun and if you stock it deep you can enjoy range trips when shit dries up!

i shoot 22lr more than anything. Some plinking some target shooting. Not as much as i used to though.

As for others running 22s at the clubs.....just look at the amount of empties on the ground and in the bins.

i really like shooting my 1942 Remington 513t at 200 yards with match sights. Its amazing the accuracy some of these old rifles have left when you feed them decent ammo.
I built out a 10/22 into a target rifle that will shoot MOA .....something i said i would never do but its fun to shoot.

My 22LR pistol almost always go to the range with me. It’s a fun plinking gun with cheap ammo that’s readily available.

22 is always in the ammo can ready to go, either 10/22, SW MP15 or Ruger Mk 4!
Fun and easy to blast through! But 9, 223 and 54R are usually in the mix too!

Heading out tomorrow to sight in the 10/22 with new scope

I love shooting 22. Super cheap, No recoil so follow-up shots are very fast. I have a little SR22. I will load 5 Mags and shoot steel on the pistol range. They empty pretty quick.

Great for new shooters to help develop good habits.

When the weather is better and the days are longer I'll run to the range for 30-45 minutes after work but before dinner. I always grab my CZ-452 .22 rifle. And I'll shoot 100 round at whatever. Some lead therapy is good for the soul.

It helps that I live .25 miles from the entrance to the club. But it's such a great way to unwind. And as you point out inexpensive too.

:)

YEP

Nothing better than ringing steel at 100m with a .22 while people are barely hitting the berm with whatever else they brung.

I'd love to have a Henry Goldenboy .22, so I hear you on wanting a lever action. Those look incredibly fun to shoot.

My son's first rifle was a Golden Boy. We love that darn thing, and you are right, it is incredibly fun to shoot! AND it eats anything. I love the capacity and that we can even shoot 22 quiet shorts, right in the back yard.
We have a tradition, every November we set up all of the jack-o-lanterns and pumpkins left over from Halloween, in the back yard, and shoot them from my deck with the Henry. He was almost 8 when I got it for him at Christmas. He is 18 now and we still love it.
His second rifle was a 15-22 and it is also a lot of fun, but there is nothing like the Golden Boy. Everybody loves it, even my wife loves to shoot it.

Short answer, yes and no. Long answer, read on.
I enjoy the .22 and have a tack driver of a 10/22. My wife and I had shot handguns before I got an LTC down here and subsequently joined a range. I got her started on rifles with the aforementioned 10/22 and she loved it. However, as soon as she got her hands on some 5.56 and started smashing clay pigeons with iron sights at 100 yds, she never looked back. It didn’t help that I then introduced her to the PA 1-6X ACSS. I still enjoy the .22, she goes right for the big stuff. I get it. It’s louder, packs more of a punch, and since we’re usually shooting somewhat reactive targets, the .22 just doesn’t measure up. Additionally, we went out Christmas eve morning and everything was sort of iced/snowed over at Hopkinton. The spray of ice/snow mixed with orange pigeons was truly impressive. I just don’t think .22LR would have given her the same sort of giddy/visceral feeling. It is however the only round I currently have more than a 1000 of, so there’s that.

I bought a Ruger SR22 for my wife to learn with years ago and I love shooting it myself, accurate as heck I say. My 11 year old is going to start shooting it in the spring.
Also own a Stainless 10/22 that is also enjoyable.
Usually after 200 Rounds I switch to another caliber. Mag dumps with the preban 10/22 banana mags are fun

Attachments

• EADF5BB7-DAA5-4AFC-89D7-A0AD069561E8.jpeg
    EADF5BB7-DAA5-4AFC-89D7-A0AD069561E8.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 41
  • BD17E7D9-7E08-4BB6-B282-65F268CF20AC.png
    BD17E7D9-7E08-4BB6-B282-65F268CF20AC.png
    215 KB · Views: 41
don't shoot .22 much anymore. 3 guns in .22 and more ammo than i'll ever shoot. maybe i need a 15-22 to rekindle the interest

I always bring at least one .22 to the range each time i go. I just like shooting them and its some extra practice on either the rifle or pistol, depending on what im trying to do at the range.

i really like shooting my 1942 Remington 513t at 200 yards with match sights. Its amazing the accuracy some of these old rifles have left when you feed them decent ammo.
I go two or three times a week with the 513, Redfield sights. I hang a 4" gong at 100 yards and plink offhand. It's very therapeutic.
Or I bring the S&W617 and a dueling tree set at 50 yards and just run the plates back and forth.

If I have to work on accuracy or trigger press, I really like using a .22 and it make it very easy to focus on just that. Its like dry firing but with better feedback

I started shooting with a Colt Woodsman 40+ years ago and still have it and bring it to the range every time. I also have a Charter Arms AR7 22 survival rifle that is fun to shoot. I usually start with the 9mm or .380 then switch to the 22's.

Back
Top Bottom