Shooters with Glasses

I saw my Ophthalmologist yesterday afternoon and got a copy of my script for the purpose of getting polycarbonate glasses for shooting, with the distance part on the bottom of the lens and the reading/closeup on the top. He warned me this will be very expensive with my prescription. I'm going to be looking into this next week.

Not to sound like a schill for the company, but GreatEyeglasses.com is pretty inexpensive. I'm not sure about bifocals, but I got polycarbonate prescription safety glasses (with side/top shields) in my messed up blind as a bat prescription for something like $35 delivered and I was able to do a Google search for discount codes that netted me another $10 off of that. I'll know in about two weeks how good they are, but for that kind of money it's worth an experiment.

I've worn both my prescription eyeglasses and contacts with vermillion shooting glasses while shooting trap, I prefer the contact/shooting glasses combo....

My boss had the Lasix surgery and went from nearsighted to farsighted, he still wears glasses (to read only). To me that's not worth the cost....

If you get a chance, read one of the Anti-Lasik sites... but take any info they present with a huge grain of salt, as the vast majority of those procedures go fine and there are few odd consequences. The take away I got is that if you've got a weak prescription and good eye sight other than the near/far-sighted issue, the potential side-effects may not be worth it (mostly the low-light issues with halos and prisms). However, if you're wearing -10.5 diopter glasses, the option to have your full field of view in perfect focus is really hard to pass up, regardless if headlight at night have an extra ring around them.

My boss had the Lasix surgery and went from nearsighted to farsighted, he still wears glasses (to read only). To me that's not worth the cost....

I had Lasik about 12 years ago....later on I found I needed reading glasses occasionally but this has nothing to do with Lasik...it has to do with aging eyes. Reading glasses can be had for $5 at Walmart...NBD. I don't have to wear them 95% of the time

If you get a chance, read one of the Anti-Lasik sites... but take any info they present with a huge grain of salt, as the vast majority of those procedures go fine and there are few odd consequences. The take away I got is that if you've got a weak prescription and good eye sight other than the near/far-sighted issue, the potential side-effects may not be worth it (mostly the low-light issues with halos and prisms). However, if you're wearing -10.5 diopter glasses, the option to have your full field of view in perfect focus is really hard to pass up, regardless if headlight at night have an extra ring around them.

I had 20/400 vision in each eye...when I found out my insurance covered Lasik, I jumped at the chance, in fact my wife and I both had it done. I have never regretted it...as I said before, it was life changing...I never had to fear for losing my glasses any longer...Having to wear glasses kept me out of several jobs I really wanted, such as a F&G officer in NH you can't wear glasses and be a CO (at least to be hired as one...you can wear them after the fact if your vision degrades with time). State Police has the same stipulations...

I had issues at first with halos but they went away after a few months...even then, they were minimal.

I've found the glasses I have for reading computer screens to be perfect for shooting. I have a much sharper front sight post than with my regular glasses.

LASIK surgery only corrects distance vision. For those of you who are under 40, your eyes still have enough focusing power to also see at near (14' to 33"). Over 40 presbyopia sets in. So those of you who enjoyed uncorrected vision for years, will be getting your glasses back in order to read and see the front sight on your gun.

Navy Moose - the eyeglass lens configuration you described is not only going to be expensive, but also proabably useless. With your near correction on top, the only thing you'll be able to see is your front sight. The target at 20feet or more will be out of focus. Look into a pair of multifocal eyeglasses

Navy Moose - the eyeglass lens configuration you described is not only going to be expensive, but also proabably useless. With your near correction on top, the only thing you'll be able to see is your front sight. The target at 20feet or more will be out of focus. Look into a pair of multifocal eyeglasses

I currently wear progressives, I would settle for regular lenses with the reading/closeup portion on the top of the lens. I have a set of shooting glasses which protect very nicely. Unfortunately, it is frustrating sometimes having to look through two sets of lenses.

Back
Top Bottom