Shooter's Outpost/Reily's

Use to deal with Riley's regularly (almost 10k spent in one year alone, large safe purchase) Unfortunately, Riley's store and philosophy has changed for the worse. I now avoid them and their long 1 hour customer service waits.

They are gouging on ammo and not all dealers are. Someone I know saw Riley's pulling out a partial pallet full of .223 and pealed off the ammo price sticker to reveal the old sticker at half the price. This occurred a few days after Riley's claimed not have any such ammo in stock. The original price sticker leads me to believe Riley's had pulled the ammo off the floor, let it sit and then brought it out later with the new gouging price. In fact, my buddy asked the person pulling out the pallet and they would not answer him about stockpiling it - said he couldn't talk about it! Current ammo prices at Riley's are generally inflated more than at many other dealers, who if you are patient with and know, will generally get you some ammo at close to pre-panic prices.

A year ago (well before the latest panic) Riley's would not even give a discount for cash, at least to match their credit card fee savings, on a $1200 rifle that isn't overly unique. Strickly msrp.

We all know about the ammo shortage (guns, though, are building up inventory again) but in my experiences Riley's has become a gouger and very shortsighted. True, long-term educated shooters, like myself will not be going back or paying his ridiculous prices Hopefully, Rileys will go out of business in the long run when only the true shooters are left and the new uneducated panic buyers are gone and overextended on their credit cards.

I would recommend using Shooter's Outpost, instead, 5 minutes down the road, unless you are absolutely desperate for an item (if so you are probably one of the uneducated first time panic buyers). For the most part, Shooter's is not gouging, much better for stock, service, and no one hour waits. My brother and I placed our $3000 Dillon 650 reloading order with Shooter's and I purchased in December a Springfield Armory M1A from them as well. We have been very happy with price and service - their staff is much more knowlegable about reloading than at Riley's - speak to Chris Mullen at Shooters for proof We will continue to use Shooters and avoid Riley's for the above reasons. Riley's already lost almost $6000 in purchases from my brother and I, and in the long run, losing customers like us will hopefully hurt them and cause them to shape up or close!

I was at Riley's last week, Hornady bullets for 13 cents a head, federal 223 for 42 cents a round and every size primer in stock 40 per thousand. I didn't see any gouging.

Weird. I've been regularly going to both Riley's and Shooters for the past 2 months now. Riley's has always been slightly cheaper than Shooters on everything I've bought. 5.56, 9mm and .22lr.

I like both, for different reasons. There is more attitude at Riley's for sure though.

eird. I've been regularly going to both Riley's and Shooters for the past 2 months now. Riley's has always been slightly cheaper than Shooters on everything I've bought. 5.56, 9mm and .22lr.

I like both, for different reasons. There is more attitude at Riley's for sure though.

+1

Weird. I've been regularly going to both Riley's and Shooters for the past 2 months now. Riley's has always been slightly cheaper than Shooters on everything I've bought. 5.56, 9mm and .22lr.

Same experience, though I don't buy 5.56.

I was at both places about a month ago. I didn't think Riley's ammo prices were exorbitantly high then. Two different shops, one old school, Shooters Outpost the new marketing model for the new generation of shooters, each have their strengths and weaknesses IMO.

I appreciate all the replys to my post. I have been doing very little business with Riley's over the past 8 months or so for the reasons I mentioned. Plus as someone mentioned, some of their associates attitude sucked - as if they are doing you the favor by talking to you/taking your money.

From these posts, maybe Riley's has wised up due to competition from Shooter's Outpost. I hope that is the case, because I did not mind dealing with them until about three years ago. A few of the employees even knew me by name and knew I was not there to kick tires.

I was at both places about a month ago. I didn't think Riley's ammo prices were exorbitantly high then. Two different shops, one old school, Shooters Outpost the new marketing model for the new generation of shooters, each have their strengths and weaknesses IMO.

For what it's worth, I'm a new shooter and I prefer Riley's over Shooter's...

Yes, exactly.

I appreciate all the replys to my post. I have not been dealing with Riley's recently and the experiences I mentioned occurred prior to and just after Shooter's opened.

From these replys, maybe Shooter's Outpost has forced Rileys to shape up.

Until around 3 years ago I did not mind dealing with them, though some Riley employees did treat customers like they are doing a favor to take their money/talk to them.

See, I"m one of those people that when you treat me badly, you don't get another chance to take my money.

I'm not the type type that will try to nickle and dime someone, sure, I might haggle a bit but I do understand a business owner needs to make a buck too or he isn't going to be in business. With that said, I had a really crappy experience in Riley,s many years ago, I have only been back in there once with my step-son, I bought nothing. Shooter is "nice", I've been in there for ammo and 5.11 gear but I've bought weapons online, handled transfers thru Adam, currently have 2 things that he's looking for on my behalf plus has a gun on consignment.

The shop north of Shooters can bite me whether they've changed or not

YMMV

Use to deal with Riley's regularly (almost 10k spent in one year alone, large safe purchase) Unfortunately, Riley's store and philosophy has changed for the worse. I now avoid them and their long 1 hour customer service waits.

They are gouging on ammo and not all dealers are. Someone I know saw Riley's pulling out a partial pallet full of .223 and pealed off the ammo price sticker to reveal the old sticker at half the price. This occurred a few days after Riley's claimed not have any such ammo in stock. The original price sticker leads me to believe Riley's had pulled the ammo off the floor, let it sit and then brought it out later with the new gouging price. In fact, my buddy asked the person pulling out the pallet and they would not answer him about stockpiling it - said he couldn't talk about it! Current ammo prices at Riley's are generally inflated more than at many other dealers, who if you are patient with and know, will generally get you some ammo at close to pre-panic prices.

A year ago (well before the latest panic) Riley's would not even give a discount for cash, at least to match their credit card fee savings, on a $1200 rifle that isn't overly unique. Strickly msrp.

We all know about the ammo shortage (guns, though, are building up inventory again) but in my experiences Riley's has become a gouger and very shortsighted. True, long-term educated shooters, like myself will not be going back or paying his ridiculous prices Hopefully, Rileys will go out of business in the long run when only the true shooters are left and the new uneducated panic buyers are gone and overextended on their credit cards.

I would recommend using Shooter's Outpost, instead, 5 minutes down the road, unless you are absolutely desperate for an item (if so you are probably one of the uneducated first time panic buyers). For the most part, Shooter's is not gouging, much better for stock, service, and no one hour waits. My brother and I placed our $3000 Dillon 650 reloading order with Shooter's and I purchased in December a Springfield Armory M1A from them as well. We have been very happy with price and service - their staff is much more knowlegable about reloading than at Riley's - speak to Chris Mullen at Shooters for proof We will continue to use Shooters and avoid Riley's for the above reasons. Riley's already lost almost $6000 in purchases from my brother and I, and in the long run, losing customers like us will hopefully hurt them and cause them to shape up or close!

You have three posts, and all three are in this thread. You sound like someone who is 'butthurt" because someone at Rileys was a little gruff. Which is true, there are a couple of the older guys who are rather rough, but in the past couple months seem to be not as rough. And in many cases, the person on the receiving end of the roughness did deserve it... (that's not an excuse for it BTW, just sayin').

Based on my own experience of hitting up Rileys and Outpost every other week or so since the crazy began in December, and going to Rileys on a regular basis before that you are either full of shit or have a very dumb definition of "price gouging." Like anything over $0.40 a round for 5.56 is "gouging." Since Outpost opened (and even before that), Rileys prices have never ventured into "gouging" territory.

Before December, I regularly saw a 30 cal can (420 rounds) of 62gn 5.56 M855 for $165, After supply dried up in December, they did raise the price to $185, but that is hardly gouging considering no one had supply of ANY 5.56 until about a month or so ago. Even $200 for that same can is not gouging considering manufacturers/distributors have raised prices. Outpost was charging that same $185 for the same can a few weeks back BTW.

I am a self described cheap bastard. I will not pay more than $0.40/round for M193. However, I don't consider even $0.60/round gouging. I also haven't bought hardly any 5.56 in the last 6 months. In fact, I haven't bough much of any caliber in the last 6 months (except .30 carbine, love my M1 carbine). But I always compare prices, I blame my mom for the cheap bastard in me [laugh]. Outpost's pricing has been very similar to Rileys. Some things have been worse (some handgun ammo) and sometimes it has been better. Lately they both have been very close in price.

One thing I have seen is that Rileys has had better selection of bulk ammo than Outpost. Lately Outpost has gotten better on selection of bulk ammo.

If you wanna talk about "gouging" go to Kittery Trading Post. Those guys are hawking a tin of 7.62x54R for like $150 + 5% sales tax! That same tin is $90 at Rileys. I haven't seen it at Outpost lately so I don't know their price.

Last edited:

I really doubt Rileys will go out of business. And $409 for a thousand rounds of 5.56 is hardly gouging.

Basically, competition is good. It it best for us gun owners if Rileys and Outpost stay in business. Not that I believe Jim (Outpost) is one to take advantage of customers, but competition always benefits the customer because it forces the competitors to act in good faith since the customer can always go elsewhere. If there is no competition, you get another Microsoft, and we don't want to see that.

I always stop by both Rileys and Outpost. I also make it a point to hit up Acme Armament in Londonderry if I can and they are open. Usually I only make it out to Hooksett on Thursdays cause Rileys and Outpost are open late (Thursday nights are the best time to go to Rileys and Outpost cause there are more clerks than customers usually.).

Acme Armament is much smaller than Rileys and Outpost but you won't be disappointed. And the owner posts here on NES (As does Jim from Outpost, though he posts less often as he is a super busy man)!

I really doubt Rileys will go out of business. And $409 for a thousand rounds of 5.56 is hardly gouging.

Pretty much. Rileys and Outpost also trade blows on gun pricing too. Outpost has the best pricing on XDm's in the state I think at $590, and the SR22 (pistol) was $50 cheaper than Rileys. But I have seen some rifles at Outpost higher than Rileys.

This is why I shop them both. Whoever has the best price between the two on what I am looking for will get my business. And between the two, you can usually find what you are looking for in stock. While I don't buy ammo at KTP (damn sales tax, plus their prices are higher to begin with), they do have good prices on many rifles and handguns. And since they have an NH FFL, I pay no sales tax on rifles or pistols. I just bought a Browning X-Bolt Hunter from them for $710. Rileys had one but it was close to MSRP. Outpost didn't even have one on the wall.

Like I said, Rileys and Outpost both being open and staying open benefit US, the consumer.

I will say, I dig the cute chicks at the registers at Outpost. So Outpost definitely one ups Rileys in that department [laugh]

Last edited:
Soloman,

No need to be rude, I am neither dumb or full of shit. As I readily admitted in a subsequent post - I have not been dealing with Riley's since Shooters opened. Based on other posts, it appears Rileys has shaped up. I trust my friend's story about the ammo experience he had there. My follow up post (which was accidently posted twice) mentioned this.

Learn to read and reason before throwing out assanine attacks towards me - it might teach you to get along with others as well. And no, I'm not butthurt, but like many others who posted intelligent replies to my post, Riley's had started to take their success and customers for granted. It appears they have started to correct them, due to competition. This is good for all of us

They are gouging on ammo and not all dealers are.

[rofl] That's pure AU right here.

Someone I know saw Riley's pulling out a partial pallet full of .223 and pealed off the ammo price sticker to reveal the old sticker at half the price. This occurred a few days after Riley's claimed not have any such ammo in stock. The original price sticker leads me to believe Riley's had pulled the ammo off the floor, let it sit and then brought it out later with the new gouging price. In fact, my buddy asked the person pulling out the pallet and they would not answer him about stockpiling it - said he couldn't talk about it! Current ammo prices at Riley's are generally inflated more than at many other dealers, who if you are patient with and know, will generally get you some ammo at close to pre-panic prices.

So effectively, what you're telling us is, is that if they were more coy about how they handled their product, you would sleep more soundly after buying it? Or that if, their mid level gouged -them- instead of them gouging you, you would feel better? [laugh] It's OK as long as you can't see it. [laugh]

I don't get what is so hard to understand about a free market. If you don't like a price someone is selling something for, buy it somewhere else. Rileys is still one of the cheaper places in NH to buy bulk ammo from that isn't walmart. Only shooters, collectible, and a couple of other places can get within striking distance of, or beat their prices. My only gripe with them really is that a lot of their staffers are ****ing grumpy, but its easy enough to steer clear of those people whenever possible. If someone is so sensitive that they need a concierge to come up to them at a gun shop, they probably should stay away from Riley's. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
[rofl] That's pure AU right here.

So effectively, what you're telling us is, is that if they were more coy about how they handled their product, you would sleep more soundly after buying it? Or that if, their mid level gouged -them- instead of them gouging you, you would feel better? [laugh] It's OK as long as you can't see it. [laugh]

I don't get what is so hard to understand about a free market. If you don't like a price someone is selling something for, buy it somewhere else. Rileys is still one of the cheaper places in NH to buy bulk ammo from that isn't walmart. Only shooters, collectible, and a couple of other places can get within striking distance of, or beat their prices. My only gripe with them really is that a lot of their staffers are ****ing grumpy, but its easy enough to steer clear of those people whenever possible. If someone is so sensitive that they need a concierge to come up to them at a gun shop, they probably should stay away from Riley's. [alugh]

-Mike
[rofl]

If Walmart actually sold bulk rifle ammo, I'd totally buy it there (cause it would be cheaper).

Bear in mind the OP said he had done very little business since 3 years ago and stopped altogether 8 months ago so he can hardly comment on how Riley's currently conducts business in this chaotic retail environment.

But thank you for registering just to tell us all about though.

Disclaimer: I shop both and could not be happier.

However my excitement soon turned to disappointment and anger when I learned AR15 lower receivers must be NICS'd as pistols, meaning I couldn't buy one being an out of state resident...
Same disappointment here (both at Riley's and SO). Too bad 'cause prices were right and selection at Riley's was pretty good.

That was a mandate by BATFE 2+ years ago. All "frames" are to be transferred as "other" and ONLY by an FFL in the state the buyer lives in!
Which helps explain why the few forged aluminum stripped lowers to be found in MA are twice the price of the ones up in NH.

off the current topic, i made the trek up there last night to check out both and they had a ton of ammo at either store. nothing like ma gun shops, only thing i didnt see was .22 bricks, and the prices seemed just a tick over normal. i only wish i lived closer! found myself a bunch of primers, which were a bit pricy, but not awful. rileys had a 500 primer total limit, shooters let me buy a brick of each. ill be back!

Which helps explain why the few forged aluminum stripped lowers to be found in MA are twice the price of the ones up in NH.

Not looking very hard, apparently, not to mention you can transfer them into MA no problem via numerous dealers. I think I paid under $150 after all was said and done for my lower.

I do see a lot of overpriced lowers down here but the reason for this is obvious. This is sticky price from lowers bought during the height of the panic....

-Mike

Not looking very hard, apparently, not to mention you can transfer them into MA no problem via numerous dealers. I think I paid under $150 after all was said and done for my lower.

I do see a lot of overpriced lowers down here but the reason for this is obvious. This is sticky price from lowers bought during the height of the panic....

-Mike
Well, I will keep looking... but neither Riley's nor SO were willing to do a transfer to a MA FFL.

I really dislike the way SO displays their handguns. I'd rather have them lay flat so you can at least see them clearly. It is a nice shop, but I prefer Rileys for all my reloading needs. Their prices are same as all the online stores, a Dillon 650 for $566, you can't get them cheaper than that.

Back
Top Bottom