• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooter's Outpost/Reily's

thinking about heading up there tomorrow late morning, wondering if it's worth the drive. specifically I am looking for a holster for my SR40. someone recommended the Crossbreed to me, but I don't carry concealed yet (still getting comfortable with it) so I just need something to use to and from the range. the Blackhawk seems decent enough but am open to reasonably priced alternatives. the few shops near me haven't had anything that fits a full .40 in the style I like. the shops suggested Hooksett, but I don't know how big their "accessories" selection is and their site is terrible.

also, I'm toying with the idea of buying a MSR - do they have a selection of MA compliant rifles or is it hit or miss?

lastly, is either of these shops better than the other?

I like em both for different reasons. Shooters normally has some MA compliant rifles, but Rileys I normally go there for ammo, and to look at their handgun selection, which I feel they have a wider variety. I'm heading up to both tonight since they open til 8/9, respectively

Shooters won't do an out of state transfer on handguns. Though this shouldn't be an issue with rifles.

I frequent both shops and am happy with both so far.

Gun shops are generally not a good place to buy a holster. You'll have much better luck online.

ETA: Shooters had a bunch of Sig M400 MA legal AR-15 clones last time I was up there... I think they were $1075.

-Mike

Which is better? Go to both and you decide, they are a few miles apart on the same street.

Also, beware of the holiday weekend traffic, the traffic going up will be heavy earlier with people getting out of work early for the long weekend. Weather is going to suck up there though.

Traffic this Friday is not going to be fun.

If you're making the drive up to Hooksett, take the scenic route; there are easily a half-dozen other local gun shops you can stop at on your way back (Wicked Weaponry, etc). Also don't forget to stop at R&R Wholesale for cheap ammo cans, and of course White Birch Brewing and Bert's Better Beers, both in Hooksett.

Lastly, is either of these shops better than the other?
They're so near each other, the only reason to stop at one and not the other would be because Riley's parking lot is full.

Gun shops are generally not a good place to buy a holster. You'll have much better luck online.

Thanks, Mike. Why is that, lower profit margins? Seems counter-intuitive.

If you're making the drive up to Hooksett, take the scenic route; there are easily a half-dozen other local gun shops you can stop at on your way back (Wicked Weaponry, etc). Also don't forget to stop at R&R Wholesale for cheap ammo cans

Thanks. What is the scenic route? I only know going up 93. Though to the larger point, traffic tomorrow may force me to wait...

I find that shooters has better prices on ammo and reloading equipment. Also less of the "limit per customer"

As of today Shooters doesn't have any primers. Riley's has quite a stock of it (500 per customer)

If you're making the drive up to Hooksett, take the scenic route; there are easily a half-dozen other local gun shops you can stop at on your way back (Wicked Weaponry, etc). Also don't forget to stop at R&R Wholesale for cheap ammo cans, and of course White Birch Brewing and Bert's Better Beers, both in Hooksett.

They're so near each other, the only reason to stop at one and not the other would be because Riley's parking lot is full.

Reilly's is great

as is White Birch--free samples. Maybe after Reilly's ;)

then there's the smoke shop down the road, which I quit cigars but that's what I call the...

NH ATF run!!!

SO is too "new" for me. Too much stuff I can get elsewhere. I like used guns, and holster bins. Its a brand new store, stocked up by distributors so it needs time to mature. Staff is friendly, ammo is available, the things some other stores sorely lack. I'd like to see more varied lubes/accessories/cleaning products. Still waiting to find a store with Slip2000 on the shelves...
I'm more comfortable in Riley's, it reminds me more of the stores I visited as a kid with my dad (1980s). I'd rather buy a 20 year old 870 Wingmaster than a brand new polymer/potmetal abortion, something hard to find at the "new" shops.

Thanks. What is the scenic route? I only know going up 93. Though to the larger point, traffic tomorrow may force me to wait...
Instead of getting back on the highway, swing over to Wicked Weaponry (114 Londonderry Turnpike). South from there you can find Acme Armament and Al's Gun & Reel in Londonderry.

Thanks, Mike. Why is that, lower profit margins? Seems counter-intuitive.

Too capital intensive to stock a lot of holsters (lots of money tied up in holsters that you won't get back easily) and even if that isn't an issue, it wastes a crapload of floorspace for stuff that can be used to sell stuff that appeals to a far wider audience. Gun shops carry one or two brands of cheap holsters that have a high margin and that's about it, typically. It's usually crap like uncle mikes and Blackhawk, maybe Fobus or some other junk vendor. Another thing to remember, that we don't often think about- believe it or not, only a small portion of gun owners even carry on a regular basis, so holsters as a generality are only going to appeal to the Concealed Carry/armed security guard/LEO subset of buyers, which is relatively small portion of the gun buying public.

-Mike

Last edited:
Huh?

"so I just need something to use to and from the range"

You want him to go out and spend $60+ for that?

C'mon. You see Fobus and get all uppity but fail to consider the context.

ETA: My original suggestion was Comp-Tac, but they don't make a paddle holster for the SR40.
ETA2: The same folks that think Fobus is completely undesirable, regardless of circumstance, are the same people that think that a 22LR EDC is worse than carrying nothing. It's the internet.

Last edited:
Too capital intensive to stock a lot of holsters (lots of money tied up in holsters that you won't get back easily) and even if that isn't an issue, it wastes a crapload of floorspace for stuff that can be used to sell stuff that appeals to a far wider audience. Gun shops carry one or two brands of cheap holsters that have a high margin and that's about it, typically. It's usually crap like uncle mikes and Blackhawk, maybe Fobus or some other junk vendor. Another thing to remember, that we don't often think about- believe it or not, only a small portion of gun owners even carry on a regular basis, so holsters as a generality are only going to appeal to the Concealed Carry/armed security guard/LEO subset of buyers, which is relatively small portion of the gun buying public.

-Mike
Thanks Mike, feel like I just got great advice. Have found it difficult to find anything that I like in the long run. Won't name names on products, but you mentioned a couple.

Huh?

"so I just need something to use to and from the range"

You want him to go out and spend $60+ for that?

C'mon. You see Fobus and get all uppity but fail to consider the context.

ETA: My original suggestion was Comp-Tac, but they don't make a paddle holster for the SR40.
ETA2: The same folks that think Fobus is completely undesirable, regardless of circumstance, are the same people that think that a 22LR EDC is worse than carrying nothing. It's the internet.

Or buy a gun from Springfield Armory. Problem solved. [wink]

I've never been to SO but have heard excellent reviews. Riley's has good ammo prices/bulk and good firearm selection. But they're Romney sluts. Personal choice alone, I'd go to SO.

Not to hijack the thread for my own selfish needs or anything [smile], but anyone who has been to either this weekend, did they have any AR15 lowers in stock? Need one to complete my build and it would be a good excuse to take a trip up there.

As others have said, both are awesome and for different reasons.

SO does have a very "new" and polished feel. Its devoid of real character but they carry some awesome product. I dont know if 2/3 of the downstairs devoted to 5.11 tactical stuff was the greatest/most profitable move for them but I guess time will tell, maybe they have a good arrangement with the company that is mutually beneficial. Nowhere near is intimate, the long guns are in the open but on racks that keep them locked in place. No fondling without asking, I guess no stealing right out of the cases is an added benefit for the handguns too ;). Ive never really been looking for accessory type stuff specifically but they do seem lower on the cleaning supplies, etc. Could just not be noticing though, like I said, never been in there after that kind of stuff.

I give a slight edge to Rileys only for personal preference (mostly). Its a nice, old school feel but with all the modern guns you could ever want. Nice selection of long guns packed in rows into a relatively small corner 2 high and you can handle whatever you want without asking. More likely to have bulk ammo and probably a bit heavier on some accessories. I like the intimate, crowded feeling vs the wide open, almost warehouse like SO but again, this is not a "functional" thing just my own opinions. Both stores are 100% worth the visit and beat anything you could ever hope to find in MA by miles. If you are the "mind stuck within 15 miles of Boston" type, you are in for quite the shock!

Agreed. Exactly.

Put me down under "Both great in their own ways" and "Check out the other shops - also *BEER!*" crowds.

Rileys also has an LE shop out back with a huge selection of holsters, mag holders an the like. SO, in addition to the 5.11 stuff downstairs also has what looks to be a full line of Blackhawk stuff upstairs (I am just fine with my Serpa BTW - but I do wish I could get the rig I want for my GP-100 for less than about $300...).

Hit the smaller shops on the way in, then fill in the blank spaces on your list from Rileys and SO, hit up White Birch when you are done, jump on 93 south home to enjoy your growlers at home in a timely fashion - traffic with be *FREAKING INSANE* Northbound, but SB will be fine, so doing the small shops first:

1) Gives some of your money to the little(er) guy (maybe)
2) Assures you cover all your bases in terms of finding oddball/non-Tacticool/less prevalent stuff first, then if you need to go the 5.11/Blackhawk/Safariland route you know you have checked a bunch of places first.
3) Keeps you off 93N on a holiday Friday.

Only real issue is that the LE shop closes at 16:30 or 17:00 on Friday, and I wouldn't be surprised if they close even earlier this friday.

Expect both of them to be mobbed after about noonish or so, SO won't be awful since they ahve a lot more space, Rileys will be a madhouse, especially as the day goes on.

I've never been to SO but have heard excellent reviews. Riley's has good ammo prices/bulk and good firearm selection. But they're Romney sluts. Personal choice alone, I'd go to SO.

Haha, OK, fine! [grin]

Shooter's Outpost is newer. The building is amazing, and they have a good selection of 5.11 clothes. They also have a good reloading section, and a great staff that's friendly and know their stuff. A good selection of accessories. A decent selection of firearms and ammo at average pricing and availability (With, usually, a jem or two). I go here for firearms and 5.11 stuff.

Riley's is a tiny little shop that feels really cramped, but they have a generally good variety of all kinds of products. They have good prices and availability and their staff is hit or miss (Some are awesome, other hate having to talk to you and aren't afraid to let you know). I go here for cheap bulk ammo.

HOWEVER, online is the best place to shop for accessories and where I get all of them. From slings, holsters to lights and optics. You have all the variety, at very low prices (and free 2-day shipping with amazon prime). I usually get holsters a decent amount cheaper with free shipping, and I google them beforehand to make sure they work and fit good.

Not necessarily. Dr. Paul visited Riley's back in 2007. Notice RP's driver took a left out of Riley's in record time. [wink]

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to Riley's today, 2 hour+ drive. My first thoughts were amazement and envy when I saw the sheer size and inventory of the place. An entire section of EBRs that you are free to handle including ARs, AKs, and FALs. Shotguns and bolt guns out the ass, an entire separate section for handguns. Then I saw the suppressor case and huge reloading section. However my excitement soon turned to disappointment and anger when I learned AR15 lower receivers must be NICS'd as pistols, meaning I couldn't buy one being an out of state resident, effectively making my 2 hour one way trip completely worthless. (my fault entirely for not researching this) Picked up some 5.56 at under 50 cents a round at least, then went home. Didn't even bother stopping at shooters outpost.

I really can't wait to buy a DPMS lower for 200 in a shithole FUDD MA gun store now, or I can order one and wait a week and pay a FFL fee. Anyone who thinks "MA gun laws aren't that bad" needs to take a trip up to NH and get their head checked.

"MA gun laws aren't that bad" needs to take a trip up to NH and get their head checked.

NH doesn't have a "Riley's must sell AR lowers as pistol only" law. That's a store policy stemming from CYA against the recent change in *federal* ATF policy about clarifying build intent for lower receivers.

Back
Top Bottom