• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooters Outpost in Hooksett NH Unwilling to Sell Muzzle Device to MA Resident

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just called Shooters Outpost in NH to ask about purchasing a muzzle break to finish my new MA Compliant upper. Travis from their "AR Department" said they couldn't sell me a "loose muzzle device", i.e. otherwise MA compliant (we're not talking about a flash hider, but something generally agreed to as MA OK) bc it wasn't pinned and welded on an upper as it left their store.

When I asked how he'd know I was a resident of MA he said "we check all licenses for all purchases". This sounds like a bizarre set of interpretations of the law (that it would be "constructive intent", which frankly, if it were even a germane concept in this scenario, is my problem, not theirs) and practice--I've never been to a store that looks at my license for a cash purchase of an unregulated gun part. Anyone else run into this (here or elsewhere)?

Travis said "I'll check with my Compliance guy and call you back" (which regardless of what the call back yields, if it comes, I'm thinking twice about giving my patronage to anyone with such a bizarre set of practices (we look at your license when buying unregulated gun parts? What?!).

Am I off here, or is this flat out asinine? I mean I've been in several stores in MA (over the years) that sell them (off the gun), and nobody's closed them down. They just happened to have some variety and I was hoping to go for a nice drive today. It sounds to me like they don't need or want my business is the bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found another dealer who just lost my business.

They're out of their ****ing minds unless Maura issued them special guidance.

So I just received a call back and spoke with Travis again; he said if I wanted to talk to their compliance person (Cliff) tomorrow, that he'd be glad to speak with me to discuss, but that bc it "requires going onto a threaded barrel which is not legal in MA" that they can not knowingly sell it to a MA resident (and look at IDs for ALL purchases). I look forward to hearing Cliff's rationale tomorrow. Bizarre. Unless he was some amazing take of woe with Maura driving up to their store and shoving something in their face, I'm fully in agreement (@ Drix).

I called to ask bc I wanted to know what variety they had and wanted him to understand that I was looking specifically for devices that would generally follow suit with what's MA-acceptable (which so far as I can tell are muzzle breaks and hybrids that are marketed primarily as muzzle breaks)...just trying to save myself disappointment. I'm glad I did ask bc if I drove an hour to buy a piece of metal and unable to take it home, that I would have likely been able to source in a store front in MA if I did it on a Saturday, I'd have been especially pissed.

Dont ****ing bother trying to get Cliff to explain. Instead, just tell him that you will not do business with him because of their stupid rules, and will be telling others not to as well.

I did want to give Cliff an opportunity to explain, but their store policy is enough to show me this place doesn't deserve my dollars (or anyone else's here).

they obviously don't like seeing mass plates in their parking lot, based on the many,many threads posted already. I will never set foot in that place. Drove right by 3 weeks ago, and I'm not in Hooksett often.

Next time don't lead off with "I'm from MA". Whether it's shopping or visiting anywhere. Nothing good comes from it. If pressed at the register, say <NH town>. Pay cash. Leave.

Believe me--I generally never do. It was only in this very limited circumstance where I was trying to use some short hand to convey what I was (and was not) looking for....lesson learned!

You guys are all jokers....first of all if you need something there is this thing called the internet.
If you were going there inperson from MA to buy somthing so insignificant you might want to google "the Internet"

As far as their store policy. Their house their rules.
I just have a feeling if i called or went in there things would have gone differently.
Saying something like MA compliant outside of the state of MA unless your being sarcastic borders on asking the guy if he wants a reacharound... not a very good ice breaker.

Shooter outpost is worth the 2 hour drive if you plan on buying something.Not dealing with them over a muzzle device or their policy regarding said muzzle device, is really only your loss.
Especially since it probibly the best gun store in new england, and it was just a misunderstanding.

That place blows...
I got carded for ammo, they saw my mass lic and then wanted my LTC.... Hey enforce NH law we got enough policing here in mass... I walked out and left the $700 worth of ammo on the counter.

You guys are all jokers....first of all if you need something there is this thing called the internet.
If you were going there inperson from MA to buy somthing so insignificant you might want to google "the Internet"

I just have a feeling if i called or went in there things would have gone differently.
Saying something like MA compliant outside of the state of MA unless your being sarcastic borders on asking the guy if he wants a reacharound... not a very good ice breaker.

Shooter outpost is worth the 2 hour drive if you plan on buying something.Not dealing with them over a muzzle device or their policy regarding said muzzle device, is really only your loss.
Especially since it probibly the best gun store in new england, and it was just a misunderstanding.

Good points but best gun store in New England is a bit of stretch.
One thing is they are putting MA law for policy and do not have MA law correct.
Threaded barrels are not illegal in MA even on ARs.

I wasted a trip visiting SO found their prices where high. On the trip home I found a few small shops with what I wanted for a better price all items did not require any special permit other than being 18 years old at point of sale.

I think gun shops would be better off if they just said "we choose not to sell items to XYX state residents" vs spouting non laws and BS for excuses.

Don't even want to get into the FFL03 BS they laid on my friend...

Last edited:
Both the shops on that street are nice by MA standards.i can appreciate a smaller shop.they're both well staffed and friendly. The price on ammo was cheaper at SO in the calibers i was looking for.....but i ended up not having enough money to grab what i wanted amd forgot my credit card.

Side note....its torture to see the suppressors in every gun shop in NH and not be able to buy 1.

no one said they can't make their rules, and what misunderstanding? I didn't see any resolution or apology yet.

I never said someone said they cant make there own rules. Just stating a fact and th OP is free to have his say with his wallet.....

As far as the misunderstanding... they'll either sell it to him or they won't... and it doesnt warrent an apology or explanation but its a stretch to say they dont like seeing ma plates in their parking lot.

I may just be in love with their sig display being a sig fanboy and all..

I never said someone said they cant make there own rules. Just stating a fact and th OP is free to have his say with his wallet.....

As far as the misunderstanding... they'll either sell it to him or they won't... and it doesnt warrent an apology or explanation but its a stretch to say they dont like seeing ma plates in their parking lot.

I may just be in love with there sig display being a sig fanboy and all..

no, not alone it doesn't, but if you search this forum, this is just one of many bad experiences mass-holes have had there.

1. its your own fault for proudly declaring your MA residence to an out of state gun shop

2. shooters outpost started sucking a while ago. it aint a new thing.

3. muzzle device can be purchaser just about anywhere online. its a piece of metal.

Exactly. Buy one online rather than waste gas/time/effort driving to NH. Done.

no, not alone it doesn't, but if you search this forum, this is just one of many bad experiences mass-holes have had there.

The only one a was aware of was a dispute about a dog that may or may not have been a service dog. Being allowed in the store. Ill search it further though.

WTF is going on up there? A few weeks ago, after the ban, They were openly advertising they would sell any legal item to MA residents.

Has this been a recent development in store policy with them? The last time I was there (3 years ago), I left with a shit ton of ammo...not sure if I had to show ID but I paid with my credit card and didn't have a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

WTF is going on up there? A Few weeks ago,, after the ban, They were openly advertising they would sell any legal item to MA residents.
Few weeks?? A tad longer than that.

I actually Like Jim and his Wife, Always welcoming
me and friends

Last edited:
I prefer spending my money where the staff doesn't blow smoke up my A$$.

Lol, who doesnt. Gun store are notorious for that though.

I dream of someday owning a gunstore called "the loophole firearms"
When i receive a call and a question i want to preface the answer with "hey just to let you know, i dont know anything i didnt read on the Internet." Im not sure it would be good for business but it would be refreshing to hear a gunstore guy admit it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom