• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shoot my first AK this weekend

Dirtypacman

NES Door Greeter
And what fun it was!!!! 7.62x39 is great stuff. I like my AR alot but shooting this bad boy was also a hell of a good time.

Romanian imported parts made in VT
Model SAR-1

I may just have to add one to my collection.

A SAR-1 should be made in Romania (assembled there), and imported by Century Arms, Georgia, VT.

I don't think they ever assembled any there, and that's a good thing, since during the time frame that was imported, Century had some really bad quality control problems. I've got a friend or two that worked there.

Nickle,

Are you sure that CAI didn't assemble them in the US? It was my understanding that they imported the Romanian parts and assembled (with US parts to make it legal) here in the US.

Someday I hope to actually shoot my SAR-1. It's still packed in 5# of cosmoline like CAI shipped it to Frank Ferrante (NH, where I bought it). Once my oil burner gets replaced, there is a good chance that my workbench will "see daylight" and I'll have the space to clean these old guns.

I got a 2001 version of the SAR-1. Had to replace the trigger group because of a real bad slap. Front sight is slightly canted (not too bad) but it's accurate as heck.

A great shooter and a lot of fun. Grabs some attention at the range too. Especially when the upper hand guard starts smoking after some rapid bump firing.!

ak47.jpg

LenS said:
Nickle,

Are you sure that CAI didn't assemble them in the US? It was my understanding that they imported the Romanian parts and assembled (with US parts to make it legal) here in the US.

Someday I hope to actually shoot my SAR-1. It's still packed in 5# of cosmoline like CAI shipped it to Frank Ferrante (NH, where I bought it). Once my oil burner gets replaced, there is a good chance that my workbench will "see daylight" and I'll have the space to clean these old guns.

I'm pretty sure the SAR-1's are imported assembled. I know the WASR's are imported assembled, but Century either changes out a few parts or ships them over for the build.

Oh, on a side note, change your trigger out for a G2 trigger. You won't regret it. TAPCO has them. A SAW pistol grip is nice, too.

The reason for the trigger slap is caused by using a disconnector that is part of the 10 US parts to make them legal. You can remove the disconnector and use a Dremel tool on it. There's a website to show how this is done, But don't have it handy right now. I had a canted gas tube assy. on mine SAR-2, sent it off to Global Trades and they fixed everything OK including the off center front site.

Found it... http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/slapfix.htm

Oh, on a side note, change your trigger out for a G2 trigger. You won't regret it. TAPCO has them.

That's what I did. Worked perfectly and easy to do. Also replace the spring that holds the parts in the receiver with the flat plate that TAPCO has. It will save you MUCH aggrevation when reassembling the receiver parts.

Pilgrim said:
Oh, on a side note, change your trigger out for a G2 trigger. You won't regret it. TAPCO has them.

That's what I did. Worked perfectly and easy to do. Also replace the spring that holds the parts in the receiver with the flat plate that TAPCO has. It will save you MUCH aggrevation when reassembling the receiver parts.

That's the same things I did to my WASR, before I shot it, along with a different gas piston and the SAW grip.

C-pher said:
Maybe I'm a dumb ass, but what's bump firing.

With an AK, from the hip, you hold the front handguard tightly with your left hand, and the only part of your right hand that touches the gun is your finger on the trigger. The back and forth motion of the gun will cause the trigger to be "bumped", thereby similating Full Auto fire. This should only be done with an AK, since they WILL NOT fire unless the breech is locked, and they are about the only gun I know of that will stand up to this.

"You should always be trained on potential enemy weapons."

I think every Battle Rifle owner should have one. Makes you appreciate the AR's accuracy, and keeps you humble about the AR's reliability (the AK is far more reliable, but far less accurate).

Nickle said:
I'm pretty sure the SAR-1's are imported assembled. I know the WASR's are imported assembled, but Century either changes out a few parts or ships them over for the build.

Oh, on a side note, change your trigger out for a G2 trigger. You won't regret it. TAPCO has them. A SAW pistol grip is nice, too.

I was told they shipped parts from Romania and put them together in VT just as the one of the first post stated.

I looked into buying one at A&G in Lowell... better condition then the one I was shooting and it was $369... Im going to wait till after the Marlborough Gun show to decide.

senorFrog said:
Does anyone know if you can get a an AK from http://www.arsenalinc.com here in MASS?

Never heard of the outfit. Their distributor is in MA, but no dealers here (no surprise). If the guns meet the old Fed AWB post-ban requirements, then they are perfectly legal in MA and you can either order one or buy FTF with a FFL in a state where they carry them.

If they are No-Ban configuration, the answer would be NO, they would be illegal here.

Exactly what does "Legally convert to accept hi-cap mags" mean in this case? I can't figure it out.

Thanks
Adam

Adam_MA said:
Exactly what does "Legally convert to accept hi-cap mags" mean in this case? I can't figure it out.

Thanks
Adam

The single stack mags are narrow, compared to high cap's. The parts count is also suspect, in that the single stack gun may be exempt from the expired Federal AWB Ban and the still valid Import Ban. You just change out a few parts (I suggest the hammer, trigger, sear, pistol grip and gas piston) and you can legally open up the mag well, IF your state allows it.

If it's legal for you to do in Mass, and you want to do it, I can get you full details. I've done mine that way.

It must be... Four Seasons advertised the following.

WASR-10 rifles in 7.62x39 are in stock. $339.95

These come with 2 high capacity magazines.

These have been legally converted by Century Arms to accept high capacity magazines.

Arsenal makes top-quality AKs - pricy but nice. They are a US sub of Arsenal in Bulgaria, the state-run manufacturer of AKs for their military. They are also the only source for commercial milled receiver AKs, if you prefer those over stamped. And yes, they make pre-ban, post-ban and single stack guns so they will be available in Mass.

As for converting single-stack to double-stack, that went away with Century bringing in WASR-10s, since they now do that for you. A WASR-10 is a Romanian AK imported as a single-stack that Century then mills out to accept double-stack mags and adds the necessary US parts. The ones available in Mass are the post-ban models w/o flash hider and bayonet lug but are otherwise identical to what we get up here in NH. And for the price you can't beat the deal, even with the Century trigger group. A G2 is much nicer, but if you do the mod to the disconnector the Century will be fine.

The Single Stack I bought was cheaper than the High Cap version, even AFTER I bought the compliance parts. $199 for the gun, $80 in parts (including good trigger and SAW grip), incl 1 mag; versus $299 for the High Cap with crappy trigger.

Pilgrim said:
Jonj,

Did you ever try it? It's harder than it looks. That guy in the video is GOOD!

Nope not yet. Never had anything untill now to try it with. I think my AR would be too heavy. I've seen guys with CETME's do it too.

Back
Top Bottom