• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

shoot it clean?

knoxy

NES Member
I picked up a yugo SKS off gunbroker a few weeks ago. it's a mix-master and kinda beat but all the parts are there and fully functional. Only rust issue is the bore. I'm guessing some PO shot some corrosive ammo once and never cleaned it. The rifling is all there but the complete bore surface is rough. I've hit it with hoppe's #9, clp, let it soak in pb blaster, scrubbed with a brass brush multiple times after soaking. Patches come out black after a scrubbing but it never clears up.

So should I:
A. keep scrubbing
B. fill it with naval jelly and let it sit for while?
C. just forget about it and shoot it

There was a fairly significant batch of Yugos that came through in the early 2000's that were eroded beyond help, including the gas tubes. These guns generally all leaked by at the gas valve, relegating them to single shots, and would not hold groups any better than 2 feet.

I rebarreled a few of them with Chinese ones. Hope yours will clear out and cycle.

Try electrolisis to clean the barrel..? I have done all of my rough bores over the summer...I have also used some turtle wax chrome polish with some decent results. Applied to a tight fitting bore mop and basically "lap" the barrel....with the electrolisis you will have a clean bore.
Warning : electrolisis may get the barrel so clean that it will look worse. You will remove years and years of copper fouling that has filled the nooks and cranies of the bore.

Electrolisis may get your bore so clean it may not shoot as accurately after finished.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom