• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shoot a .380 from a 9mm? Sure No Problem.

I love my 686 with 4" barrel. And it is great for new shooters. There is very little recoil with 38 special and it builds confidence.

But this is my favorite, and because it is so big and heavy, 44 special is like shooting 22. LOL. 44 mag is a different story...

150145_01_md.jpg

I really only did it out of curiosity.

Shooting .38 out of a .357 or .40 out of a 10 makes sense. Since the substituted rounds are cheaper and more plentiful.

The .380 is less plentiful and more expensive so it really was a "what if".

OK are you all done? Finally then...I am a Vietnam vet who, believe me, has seen his share of blood and guts both deliberately and "accidentally" and doesn't care to see nor read about anymore. Just because we have a right to bear arms doesn't give us the "right" to be conducting irresponsible experiments that may cause injury or even death, and definitely not conducting them on public/club grounds. Anyone who deliberately chambers and fires a round that has not been tested and approved for any firearm is acting irresponsibly and does not deserve this "right" and is inviting and advertising trouble. The range officer where you shoot would definitely NOT approve, nor would any safety course instructor nor any firearms manufacturer. It is those types of individuals who ruin it for everyone else. So please man-up, and for those who cannot, please tell us where you shoot so we can stay clear of you.

This is why we can't have nice things, and why gun clubs have shitty rules.

If people like you were the norm we'd still be shooting blackpowder based centerfire cartridges. And you would have had Elmer Keith put in prison. [rolleyes]

Clark Magnuson would probably give you a heart attack.

Clark Magnuson said:
have shot in a P11: 124 gr FJMFP, 1.168", 11 gr pierced primer 1900
fps [Quickload estimate] 67% overload [This recoil is so severe, 3 shots
hurt my right hand for 4 hours]
Clark

[rofl]

-Mike

Last edited:
He's not the only Nam vet to feel like that. I was having a conversation with one up north that had me resting my chin on my chest. He felt that nobody but military and police should have pistols or rifles. I had to leave him after telling him he was F'ed as I couldn't take the BS any more.

Thanks for your service but you fought for freedom yet are willing to take away the rights of law abiding citizens?? Sorry it doesn't work that way for me.

Shooting 380 out of a 9mm is no big deal. same size bullet,case is a little shorter,2mm and a touch smaller in diameter.

As far as the original topic goes, I've done it by accident once. Nothing exciting happened, except I had a Beretta 92 that had poor accuracy and refused to cycle.... I had put a bunch of ammo on a paper plate and a friend who was shooting 380 had some ammo on the same plate, and I grabbed a few off the wrong side....

"pew". WTF? Gun no cycle. Squib? Can't be... I heard the bullet hit the gong....

-Mike

I shot a .40 through my Glock 21 once by mistake. It got mixed into my bucket of rounds and I didn't notice while loading the magazines.

Made a dull pop and the gun didn't cycle. No other problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why we can't have nice things, and why gun clubs have shitty rules.

If people like you were the norm we'd still be shooting blackpowder based centerfire cartridges. And you would have had Elmer Keith put in prison. [rolleyes]

Clark Magnuson would probably give you a heart attack.

[rofl]

-Mike

Good thing Elmer Keith did not listen to some on NES or we would not have magnum revolvers. Lol!

You are setting a poor example especially to the younger, less experienced, and new shooters on this forum with your "experiences." If you want to take chances on your own then that's definitely up to you and YOUR choices. But to be pedaling your experimental actions and "thoughts" on this forum is simply not good. It is shooters like you who I am afraid to be next to at the range.
Y’all are some stickler by the book MFs. What do u thinking wildcat rounds are. Homemade new cartridges. If it wasn’t for people taking risks to do new experimental things (ie scientists) we wouldn’t be Americans. Whenever the time comes for the patriots of this country to pick a rifle and use it to protect and/or take back our country ammunition may not be very plentiful. People like this that are either dumb enough or brave enough to try things like this is knowledge that hopefully none of us will ever have to use but knowledge it is. I appreciate it.

Y’all are some stickler by the book MFs. What do u thinking wildcat rounds are. Homemade new cartridges. If it wasn’t for people taking risks to do new experimental things (ie scientists) we wouldn’t be Americans. Whenever the time comes for the patriots of this country to pick a rifle and use it to protect and/or take back our country ammunition may not be very plentiful. People like this that are either dumb enough or brave enough to try things like this is knowledge that hopefully none of us will ever have to use but knowledge it is. I appreciate it.
giphy.gif

I borrowed a 9 to try in my 45 and then remembered, I have two balls and any self respecting man should not be seen with a 9....[rofl]

Holy necropost, batman!

FWIW I have shot more .40sw through my Glock 29 than I have 10mm... it's perfectly safe as long as you clean thoroughly before shooting 10mm again. It headspaces off the extractor by design and there aren't really other pistols which offer the same support. I'm talking 1000s of rounds without issue. Why? Because most over the counter 10mm loads these days are essentially the same as conventional factory 40sw (sadly) and the 40sw costs 1/2 the price per box, pre CRE. Of course in that case, the 10mm is literally the parent case for the 40sw so the chamber is perfect.

As for .380 in a 9mm... well I won't be doing that any time soon because not only are the case walls a different shape and diameter, the rim (like the base of the casing) is also 0.02" more narrow and as mentioned the headspacing is achieved off the rim/extractor in that case. It might work "sometimes" but I don't want to see what happens when it doesn't.

You do realize why this is totally different than shooting a .380 out of a 9mm.

The case diameter of a .40 is significantly larger than a 9. A 9mm case will expand to fill the volume. If it stretches and tears, you have a problem.

A .380 case is nominally the same diameter as a 9mm. So the only diameter that does not the same is length. Since the bullet is designed to release the gasses out the front of the case, this isn't a problem.

Again, if you understand the difference between the calibers, you would see that case failure is not an option. Either it works, or the round doesn't go off.

The case is actually BETTER supported than it is in a .380 because the excessive head space causes it to sit deeper in the chamber.

But if it makes anyone feel better I'll include this disclaimer:
Don't try this at home Kids.

If everyone followed your logic, no wildcat cartridges would ever exist.
I have tools that someone even 20 years ago could not have dreamed of. By using QuickLoad, I could model internal ballistics and was able to see that the very long jump resulted in very very low chamber pressures.

dimensions.jpg
Well, for one, without wildcatters, Elmer Keith would never have been instrumental in creating the .44 magnum round and that wouldn't be very nice and how about Dick Cassul and his .45 long colt " MAGNUM" loads leading to the venerable .454 Cassul. I bulged a cylinder once on a Smith 629, trying to squeeze another tenth of a grain of H110 here and there into 44 magnum cases. Smith & Wesson sent me a note, when they returned my 629, saying"don't do that anymore", but that surely doesn't qualify me as a wild catter. More like falling into the freakin idiot category, as I look back on it.

Last edited:
Yes you can do this however you run the risk of damaging or braking your extractor. The head space is incorrect and you are supporting the round on the extractor not the chamber of the barrel.

Yes you can do this however you run the risk of damaging or braking your extractor. The head space is incorrect and you are supporting the round on the extractor not the chamber of the barrel.

To be fair if you look at a Glock you'll see that with the same rim/wall as with 40sw and 10mm it really is perfectly safe. The extractor is beefy and there's support from multiple points; it's not going anywhere.

Maybe if you shoot 2000 rounds that way. But since you have to hand cycle the gun after every round of .380, I don't think many people would bother.

The extractor doesn't have to deal with any significant forward forces on it other than extraction. Which is precisely what it is designed to do.

Back
Top Bottom