Shoot a .380 from a 9mm? Sure No Problem.

You are setting a poor example especially to the younger, less experienced, and new shooters on this forum with your "experiences." If you want to take chances on your own then that's definitely up to you and YOUR choices. But to be pedaling your experimental actions and "thoughts" on this forum is simply not good. It is shooters like you who I am afraid to be next to at the range.

lighten-up-anyone-touches-my-stuff-and-i-ll-kill-you-demotivational-poster-1253664846_zps3a384514.jpg~c200

url

Maybe its just tge shellplates, on a 550 with the 9mm plate installed 380s will usually fly out of the press when you try to prime them...

When loading 9mm on my 550 with casefeeder, a .380 case will always get stuck on the way to the shellplate, which is very convenient.

I'm too lazy to search for it but there is (or used to be) a video on boobtube of a guy who on purpose fired wrong caliber ammo. He even somehow shot a .223 round out of a 9mm or .40 handgun, and the bullet fell to the ground couple of feet after clearing the muzzle.

I'm too lazy to search for it but there is (or used to be) a video on boobtube of a guy who on purpose fired wrong caliber ammo. He even somehow shot a .223 round out of a 9mm or .40 handgun, and the bullet fell to the ground couple of feet after clearing the muzzle.

I've seen several videos like this. I think Iraqvet8888 did one where he fired some really wacky rifle calibers out of the wrong guns. Put the gun in a vise and pulled the trigger with a long string. I remember a lot of busted cases, but no real damage to the guns.

Edit:

Found it:

Last edited by a moderator:
It was one of those days when I watched a youtube video and then watched a few more recommended videos and came across a guy doing what you describe. He was loading the wrong caliber into various models. The one I recall the best was a 5.56 in G19 i think, a glock for sure. It was pretty anticlimactic. He had to load it with the barrel out but there wasn't enough back pressure and the case mostly expanded and the projectile barely made the target. I'm sure he did fire a 40 through a 10mm too.

Last edited:
Lots of people shoot 9mm in a 38 super gun without issue. 380 in a 9 is similar. I tried 380 major in a 9 major gun, it ran, but it was tough to keep the bullet in the case with all that powder compressed in it.

The 380 will come out of the 9mm shell plate on the 650 more often that not

There were guys on Youtube who fired a .50 BMG out of a 12 ga shotgun. That made me nervous.

To put it in perspective.

The .380 I shot contained 4.3 grains of powder.
A .308 Win holds about 45 gr of powder.
A .50 BMG holds about 285 gr of powder.

Last edited:
There were guys on Youtube who fired a .50 BMG out of a 12 ga shotgun. That made me nervous.

To put it in perspective.

The .380 I shot contained 4.3 grains of powder.
A .308 Win holds about 45 gr of powder.
A .50 BMG holds about .285 gr of powder.

[video=youtube_share;sZaK7D4XVo8]http://youtu.be/sZaK7D4XVo8[/video]

People don't believe me that you can do this . And you can just hold the slide on pistols to stop it from cycling . Big stuff like 10mm 460r I would try it tho lol .

show them this but only after you make them bet you $20 that you've got no proof. 25% of every bet goes to me for hosting, 25% to shadyduk for doin' it.

Wow, I hope my children don't read this thread! [shocked] !

This might lead them to try firing 50 BMG through a .17 HMR! Mods PLEASE DELETE before it gets out of hand!

Next thing you know, they might make a gun out of poptarts! OMG too late!!!

Pop-Tart-Gun.jpg

Either that or it's a flipped state of Florida- equally disturbing! I'd write my representatives for a new law but need to change my shorts.

Seriously guys, knock off the bedwetting or take it to a more enlightened forum like Arfcom.

Edit- I for one found it an interesting read. I'm sure the OP knew the alarmists would come out of the woodwork.

Last edited:
People don't believe me that you can do this . And you can just hold the slide on pistols to stop it from cycling . Big stuff like 10mm 460r I would try it tho lol .

i know it is probably safe, but man does that give me the shivers, thinking about what would happen if you had an over-pressured round and it blew up ..

i know it is probably safe, but man does that give me the shivers, thinking about what would happen if you had an over-pressured round and it blew up ..

Think of it like a croc. You can easily hold there mouth shut . But trying to open it is another story. Little pressure to keep the barrel from pivoting out of lock is all that's need . Look at a 1911 or glock and the area the barrel locks into. There isn't a lot of surface area.

Next time your at the range put your weak hand palm on the back of the slide .
It won't unlock .

OK are you all done? Finally then...I am a Vietnam vet who, believe me, has seen his share of blood and guts both deliberately and "accidentally" and doesn't care to see nor read about anymore. Just because we have a right to bear arms doesn't give us the "right" to be conducting irresponsible experiments that may cause injury or even death, and definitely not conducting them on public/club grounds. Anyone who deliberately chambers and fires a round that has not been tested and approved for any firearm is acting irresponsibly and does not deserve this "right" and is inviting and advertising trouble. The range officer where you shoot would definitely NOT approve, nor would any safety course instructor nor any firearms manufacturer. It is those types of individuals who ruin it for everyone else. So please man-up, and for those who cannot, please tell us where you shoot so we can stay clear of you.

jkon first off, thanks for your service.

No one is trying to belittle you. What you have to understand though is when you go to the extreme and start twisting the words of others and contradicting everything they've asked or inquired about, it makes you sound like a moon bat. Take a it down a notch man.

My post to you simply pointed out that you were overreacting and you said to stay away from me at the range.

The OP was simply sharing a story, and then asked if anyone had any experience with it. He did not encourage anyone nor welcome others to try it themselves. He surely didn't state anywhere in his post where he was trying this at a public range or in the vicinity of others. Sounds to me like you need a beer and to step away from the computer for a little while.

JKOn

Who do you think has done the "testing" and approving for most of the new rounds over the last 30 years? People. Not corporations.

I chambered a round that is for all intents and purposes the same dimension as the firearm's intended round, except it is shorter and operates at lower pressure.

There is only one way it can explode, forward, the way God and Gaston Glock intended it to explode.

Further, I ran the round through a pretty sophisticated internal ballistics software modeling application to confirm two things. 1) pressure would not be excessive 2) the bullet would make it out of the barrel.

Don
NRA Rifle and Pisto Safety Instructor.
Appleseed IIT
07 FFL /Class 2 Manufacturer

pressure.jpg

Last edited:
OK are you all done? Finally then...I am a Vietnam vet who, believe me, has seen his share of blood and guts both deliberately and "accidentally" and doesn't care to see nor read about anymore. Just because we have a right to bear arms doesn't give us the "right" to be conducting irresponsible experiments that may cause injury or even death, and definitely not conducting them on public/club grounds. Anyone who deliberately chambers and fires a round that has not been tested and approved for any firearm is acting irresponsibly and does not deserve this "right" and is inviting and advertising trouble. The range officer where you shoot would definitely NOT approve, nor would any safety course instructor nor any firearms manufacturer. It is those types of individuals who ruin it for everyone else. So please man-up, and for those who cannot, please tell us where you shoot so we can stay clear of you.

As a mechanical engineer, I find this post pretty ignorant. Apparently you're unaware of much of this little thing we call physics.

And RSOs in 99% of cases are power tripping idiots. I say that as a person who RSOs at NES events.

Just because we have a right to bear arms doesn't give us the "right" to be conducting irresponsible experiments that may cause injury or even death, and definitely not conducting them on public/club grounds. Anyone who deliberately chambers and fires a round that has not been tested and approved for any firearm is acting irresponsibly and does not deserve this "right" and is inviting and advertising trouble. .

Yes lets restricts peoples rights because we think they are acting irresponsible. Let me lace up my boots and we can go enforce some common sense laws

Last edited:
Gee - I fire 38 special out of my 686, 44 special out of my S&W 44 magnums and 223 out of my 5.56's all the time. None of which are stamped on the barrel.

Gee - I fire 38 special out of my 686, 44 special out of my S&W 44 magnums and 223 out of my 5.56's all the time. None of which are stamped on the barrel.

Where do you shoot? So I can avoid those places... LOL

You make a good point- OP's experiment is virtually equivalent to shooting .38 Spl WC's out of a 686, which by the way is a most awesome wheel gun.

Back
Top Bottom