• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SHOCKING VIDEO: Los Angeles Police Shoot and Kills a Black Homeless Man

Sadly you aren't kidding. Also sadly, many people don't see any problem with this.

I wish people would fully grasp the concept that every law, no matter how well intentioned, has the death penalty for those who choose not to comply. Instead, it is always the same: Just do what you are told and everything will be fine. The unspoken part is what happens when you don't do as you are told.

Though the guy was angry and yelling, he wasn't being physical. The cop then decided the best way to calm him down was to shove him. Predictably, the guy responded back. He swung the shovel at the cops head, and the cop responded in kind by shooting him or risked getting his head bashed in. The situation should have never escalated that far.

Both are examples of cops escalating controllable situations until the culminate with deadly force. There is a definitely problem with this type of policing. It is possible for the shootings themselves to be justified, but that doesn't mean all the actions the cops took were.

Watching the video with the dude in the blue jacket, I can't believe the officer even let him pick up the snow shovel! I would've first gotten him to drop and get away from the shovel (potential weapon) and off the porch onto some grass! It makes my blood pressure rise watching these videos!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly right. People like to ignore all the factors that lead up to the shooting so long as what happened IMMEDIATELY prior to it make the shooting justified (in this case, assuming the guy did grab one of the cops guns). It is likely the situation could have been handled where no violence was used by anybody and no opportunity would exist for a cops gun to get grabbed.

Here are two police shootings that I think given the circumstances, were justified, though those circumstances were at least partially the fault of the cop in the first place.

Though the guy wasn't cooperating, he wasn't fighting the cop. The cop decided to escalate it by kneeing him in the head. Predictably, the guy responded back. The cop decided to get himself into a one on one wrestling match and was losing badly. He put himself in a position where he had little choice but to shoot or get beaten to death. The whole thing should have never escalated that far.

Terrible, terrible policing. That guy got shot because the cop couldn't control the situation. You are in a city- if you can't get the active resistor in cuffs, calm him down and wait 25 seconds for backup...terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how that position in the liberal dream world that only police and ex-police should have firearms holding up these days.

It always amazes me that the very same people who say "you can't trust the police" are also often the ones who say "only the police should have guns."

This whole race issue would stop if headlines and subject lines cease to include irrelevant details like the color of people's skin.

I don't see how this has anything to do with a "black" homeless man more than it is a homeless man.

UNSUBSCRIBE

Well I guess if the cop yelled "drop the gun" it has to be true because when they yell stop resiting it always is.[emoji6]

Ill wait for more video and fa ts of the case come out. I wonder how that position in the liberal dream world that only police and ex-police should have firearms holding up these days.

Cannot agree with your first sentence any more. Now a days those seem to be the catch all phases, "stop going for my gun" and "stop resisting".

Hopefully a few more videos come out on this because I honestly cannot see the guys hands when he is on the ground.

I believe it was handled wrong from the go but if he had a cops gun then by all means blaze away. My problem is I'm suspect of the "he went for my gun" line. Most times I think it's bullshit used to defend a shooting by police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Video showed the homeless man reaching toward the rookie officer's waistband, Beck said. The officer's gun was later found partly cocked and jammed with a round of ammunition in the chamber and another in the ejection port, indicating a struggle for the weapon, the chief said."

"Wanted by US Marshals"

http://news.yahoo.com/man-killed-los-angeles-police-wanted-us-marshals-053323458.html

Have they released whether or not the officer's PDW was holstered or did he have it drawn? I saw the picture of the slide out of battery in a holster- I wouldve thought the rolling hood would prevent something like this from happening- much less the whole "round in the ejection port." That homeless dude would have to be pretty precise and accurate to reach for specifically the slide and actuate it in a struggle...I also dont like how the author said "reaching toward the rookie officer's waistband." Makes it sound like he was wearing sweatpants, not a "gunbelt."

Doubt one could rack a slide in a holster. Safe assumption it was in hand. This should be fairly easy. If his prints are on the gun he was grabbing for the gun.

Doubt one could rack a slide in a holster. Safe assumption it was in hand. This should be fairly easy. If his prints are on the gun he was grabbing for the gun.

Yeah. Kind of ridiculous then that they took the picture of the gun in holster if it was out. Nothing like wrestling with someone and having your gun out...no other real choice then to discharge if they are going for it.

The fact that these guys couldnt wrap this guy up and subdue him long before he was able to make an attempt for one of their guns is just unbelievable, completely incompetent in my opinion.

If someone is wrestling with you and has a gun drawn it seems like a very natural thing to go for their gun, you know, to try and prevent them from shooting you. If it was drawn, why? It would appear incompetence led to this mans death.

What? we get charged for the videos?

And you still have an avatar. WTF is with that?

Don't click on the thread. And there is A LOT here to justify the green membership. Your loss.

Personal choice. I lurk here mostly and the amount of negative threads is astounding. The amount of BS replies is even worse. When I joined this site was much different and it was a tough choice.

Back
Top Bottom