• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shirtless guy with rifle captures burglar

So broadly stated, your assertion is certainly true.

Now let us focus on the issue at hand: is using deadly force against a person whose misbehavior is stealing a bag of trash of minimal value "the right thing?"
Why not? We have cops do it for us all the time. Why can't we, then?

sorry but i took it the other way. he was saying how wrong ma is, and that in the state we live in, we would be arrested when we shouldn't be.
The Hobbit's got it right.

Thanks for coming to my defense. Actually, I wasn't expressing a value judgment one way or the other; my purpose, which seemed noble at the time but now I have my doubts, was simply to put folks in Massachusetts on notice that this was not an example that could be emulated here without severe adverse consequences.
Unfortunately, RKG, it gets REAL OLD to constantly hear it. We know it... we just don't want our noses rubbed in it constantly.

Unfortunately, RKG, it gets REAL OLD to constantly hear it. We know it... we just don't want our noses rubbed in it constantly.

Here's my problem. I see something like the original post, with apparent praise for the conduct being reported, and I visualize some Massachusetts 21-year old, with his freshly minted LTC and zero street sense, who gets the idea that this is a good role model. He goes out and does the same thing, is indicted and convicted of ADW, and is sentenced to and serves 2 years in the HoC. When he gets out, he has lost the job he once had, can't get another one, and has been served with divorce papers. This poor fellow's life will never get back on track, and all for nothing.

So, at the risk (near certainty?) of taking a bit of flack for doing so, I try to do what little I can to avoid the sad result. It is, I know, a bit like seeing two cars about to collide and you can't do anything about it, but you yell a warning nonetheless. It makes you feel like you at least tried.

Here's my problem. I see something like the original post, with apparent praise for the conduct being reported, and I visualize some Massachusetts 21-year old, with his freshly minted LTC and zero street sense, who gets the idea that this is a good role model. He goes out and does the same thing, is indicted and convicted of ADW, and is sentenced to and serves 2 years in the HoC. When he gets out, he has lost the job he once had, can't get another one, and has been served with divorce papers. This poor fellow's life will never get back on track, and all for nothing. So, at the risk (near certainty?) of taking a bit of flack for doing so, I try to do what little I can to avoid the sad result. It is, I know, a bit like seeing two cars about to collide and you can't do anything about it, but you yell a warning nonetheless. It makes you feel like you at least tried.
I agree with your intent, the internet being the internet, someone newbie could see this article and possilbly mistake this as a way to act in Massachusetts. It's not....we all know that, if this newbie has and LTC he should know that already......that's what all those training courses are for right???? As far as this the guy from Colorado being a role model, he is a good role model IMHO....just not in this state, which is sad. Maybe if we had more citizens that would stand up and agree with his behavior, instead of the overall wussy "police need to take care of that" attitude. We wouldn't be where we are today....... I think it was the comment about "easily getting in over your head" that just kinda frosted me a bit, and the fact that for every post about some out of state hero that successfully stops a BG, there is always someone who comes on and "reminds" us that if they were in MA it would be criminal. My post was not to snipe at you, just in general, sick of hearing that. Sorry if that got misconstrued. It's the general attitude of the people in this state. Even some gun owners are guilty of thinking that this guy wasn't in the right by defending his stuff. That's the part that drives me nuts....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom