Shipping to out of state FFL from RI

I am in RI, I sold a gun on an online auction.

Going by what I was reading, I would have been able to ship to a FFL through UPS. But when I ran it by my local FFL, she said it was illegal....though she may have thought I was referring to mailing it USPS which is obviously illegal. Also the laws on only being able to bring a pistol to a range or gun shop irked me since there was no mention of shipping.

To be safe I did transfer through them....

But as a RI resident, can I ship a gun myself to a buyer in another state using a FFL in their state and UPS as a carrier?

I am in RI, I sold a gun on an online auction.

Going by what I was reading, I would have been able to ship to a FFL through UPS. But when I ran it by my local FFL, she said it was illegal....though she may have thought I was referring to mailing it USPS which is obviously illegal. Also the laws on only being able to bring a pistol to a range or gun shop irked me since there was no mention of shipping.

To be safe I did transfer through them....

But as a RI resident, can I ship a gun myself to a buyer in another state using a FFL in their state and UPS as a carrier?

Yes, Fed Law allows this.

You were scammed by your LGS! [angry]

If it is a rifle, there are no problems. You can ship the rifle to an out-of-state FFL and all you need to do is include your drivers license. But if it is a handgun, you may have a problem. UPS or FedEx is going to require it go 1-2nd air and many FFL's WILL NOT accept a handgun out-of-state from a private party. None of the FFL's I know in CT or RI will. Perhaps they feel differently in Wyoming? Nothing illegal, they just will not do it. Is this "she" in Westerly?

Back
Top Bottom