• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping Rifle/Shotguns to NH

My grandfather recently passed away, he lived in FL. He had a few rifles, of which I may receive. My grandmother just wants them out at some point. I'm going to go down and look everything over, and we'll probably sell some of them. What is the correct way to get them to NH? It is not really an inheiretance since they are technically hers at this point. However she possesses no license in FL. Can she just ship them to an FFL in my area? There are some friends of his in the area with licenses who could do the transporting to UPS if necessary. I read the MA inheiritance thread but that only got me more confused as much of it deals with in-state.

Basically all she has to do is ship them to a willing FFL in NH who will take shipments from individuals.

There is no licensing in FL for "mere possession" of unloaded guns, as far as I know, so nothing stopping your grandmother from just shipping them herself. (unless she lives in MA?) If that's the case then someone with an LTC should handle the shipping.

-Mike

Basically all she has to do is ship them to a willing FFL in NH who will take shipments from individuals.

There is no licensing in FL for "mere possession" of unloaded guns, as far as I know, so nothing stopping your grandmother from just shipping them herself. (unless she lives in MA?) If that's the case then someone with an LTC should handle the shipping.

-Mike

No she lives down there, and I didn't know Florida was set up like that.

My grandfather recently passed away, he lived in FL. He had a few rifles, of which I may receive. My grandmother just wants them out at some point. I'm going to go down and look everything over, and we'll probably sell some of them. What is the correct way to get them to NH? It is not really an inheiretance since they are technically hers at this point. However she possesses no license in FL. Can she just ship them to an FFL in my area? There are some friends of his in the area with licenses who could do the transporting to UPS if necessary. I read the MA inheiritance thread but that only got me more confused as much of it deals with in-state.

You can also ship them to yourself while you're down there.
But I think the transfer has to happen first.

However she possesses no license in FL..
Irrelevant. In Florida, just like the overwhelming majority of the states, licenses to own, transport, buy, and sell guns do not exist.

Can she just ship them to an FFL in my area? .
Yes

There are some friends of his in the area with licenses who could do the transporting to UPS if necessary..
Not necessary

I read the MA inheiritance thread but that only got me more confused as much of it deals with in-state.
She's in Florida and you are in New Hampshire. What does Massachusetts law have to do with any of this?

She's in Florida and you are in New Hampshire. What does Massachusetts law have to do with any of this?

To clarify Jose, there is information about Fed law in that thread also, intermixed with MA law info. It seems to be an often refered to thread wrt transfers, etc. I didn't realize that FL didn't have licensing to own, that will simplify things greatly.

a private party can ship LONG ARMS via the USPS, it is only FFL's that can ship handguns USPS.

For the amount of BS UPS makes you go through to ship a gun, plus the expense (must be done at a depot, must go overnight) the United States Postal Service is a deal.

NH is not unique in that regard. In fact, the whole northeast is an anomaly when it comes to gun laws.

Well, VT, NH, ME are pretty normal.... I would say that those three are far better than the "national average" compared to even a lot of free states. On the other hand, MA, CT, RI, NY, NJ... are completely f**ked compared to most of the rest of the country- particularly the last two, which are basically the two worst places outside of DC to live in the US as a gun owner.

-Mike

My grandfather recently passed away, he lived in FL. He had a few rifles, of which I may receive. My grandmother just wants them out at some point. It is not really an inheiretance since they are technically hers at this point.

Why is this not an inheritance? The firearms were a possession of your grandfather and your grandmother is acting as the executor to disperse the property. From what I had read in the past I thought that FFL transfers were not needed when an inheritance was involved.

Why is this not an inheritance? The firearms were a possession of your grandfather and your grandmother is acting as the executor to disperse the property. From what I had read in the past I thought that FFL transfers were not needed when an inheritance was involved.

It must be by bequest or intestate succession to conform with Federal law (18 USC 922(a)(3)(A) and 922(a)(5)(A)).

Back
Top Bottom