• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping of firearms in MA

So I just picked up a new Stag, which after returning home with it, I unfortunately discovered that some of finish had been chipped off the upper receiver. Not a ton, but enough that after paying $900 I wasn't going to just 'let is slide'. Called Stag, no issues, generated a return authorization. Packed it up in box, dropped off at UPS...told them it was a rifle....no problems.

What happens on the return of the rifle? Is UPS just going to leave an AR-15 sitting on my front steps if I'm not home (which I know I won't be)? Who's responsible if it were to get stolen by some thug?

unless they change the S/N I think it would be treated like a repair and if I remember correctly you can ship a gun out for service and have it sent back to you with no issues

Did I read this correctly? Your AR upper had some damage.... so you sent the whole rifle back? AR's are modular.....

Yeah, it was just the upper. They told me to pack the rifle up and ship back, so I did. Not sure why, or if they would have been fine with just upper, but since I didn't want any delays I just shipped the whole damn thing back to them.

Every time I've had a firearm shipped to me (repairs, C&R, etc.) it's been "Adult Signature Required". If you're not home, they'll leave a tag, and you can go online or call them and arrange to pick it up at the UPS depot at your convenience.

If I remember correctly if they have to replace any part of the upper they will give you a whole new gun so the upper and lower fit properly. I've never owned a stag so I don't know if they fit their uppers and lowers that precisely but I know it's the case with some.

If I remember correctly if they have to replace any part of the upper they will give you a whole new gun so the upper and lower fit properly. I've never owned a stag so I don't know if they fit their uppers and lowers that precisely but I know it's the case with some.

I doubt they'll do that. Uppers and lowers are manufactured to tolerances, so any upper should fit any lower, especially from the same manufacturer. But, we'll see...I'll let you know.

That does raise a new question if they do that though. What do I do with new one? Fill out a new FA-10? It would have a new serial number if they replace the lower too.

I doubt they'll do that. Uppers and lowers are manufactured to tolerances, so any upper should fit any lower, especially from the same manufacturer. But, we'll see...I'll let you know.

That does raise a new question if they do that though. What do I do with new one? Fill out a new FA-10? It would have a new serial number if they replace the lower too.

If they do send you a new receiver with a new serial number then it'll have to go through an FFL. Seems unlikely though.

If they do send you a new receiver with a new serial number then it'll have to go through an FFL. Seems unlikely though.

This is true. Most gun manufacturers will do whatever it takes not NOT have to replace the frame, due to the pita nature of the process. They'll most likely take your rifle in, repair or replace your upper, if its a replace, they'll want to ensure proper fit and function. Once that's done, they'll send it to you via UPS/FedEx w/ adult sig required. Quick and painless.

IIRC, there is NO LAW that requires a replacement frame from the mfr go thru an FFL. Many companies wary of MA laws invoke that, but that doesn't make it law. Mfr shows proper disposal and disposition of old/new firearms on the BB and you do an FA-10 on the new one as Registration.

I've had guns returned and just left here with no signature required and other times I've been asked to sign for them. I'd say this may vary, but more likely to require a signature these days than not.

What do I do with new one? Fill out a new FA-10? It would have a new serial number if they replace the lower too.

Yes, a FA-10 would be required.

If they do send you a new receiver with a new serial number then it'll have to go through an FFL.

No, see below.

IIRC, there is NO LAW that requires a replacement frame from the mfr go thru an FFL.

Correct.

Not only is there no law prohibiting it, 27 CFR 478.147 specifically allows direct shipment of "...the firearm or a replacement firearm of the same kind and type."

Back
Top Bottom