Shipping muzzleloaders

Not being a BP person, I have to hedge part of this answer.

Check MGL Ch. 140 S. 121 for definitions as it applies to the particular gun. If it is "not a gun" per MGL or BATFE Regs, there is nothing illegal about mail-order of a "non gun".

If you ask the AG, Reilly's answer (and I suspect that his protégé, Coakley would agree) was ABSOLUTELY NOT! The AG's "opinion" resulted in stings and shutting down a lot of mail-order vendors from shipping BP guns to MA residents.

I know you don't need an FID to own one. That's about all I know. I see where section 8 of the Chapter 180 acts of 1998 exempt muzzleloaders from 122 to 129D, inclusive, and sections 131, 131A, 131B and 131E of Chapter 140.

Last edited:
You don't need a license to purchase the gun and should be able to get it shipped here without a problem but a license is required to buy powder and bullets for them.

You don't need a license to purchase the gun and should be able to get it shipped here without a problem but a license is required to buy powder and bullets for them.

I have a license, I'm just trying to get the gosh darn muzzleloader into this jacked up state.

Martlet,

Maybe it will pay off to make a trip down to Bass Pro's grand opening on 11/14 evening??

Perhaps they will have a decent sale price on some that might make the trip worthwhile and be a wash with mail-order? [I have NO inside info, check the thread . . . I asked C-pher what was up and when.]

Some companies will ship here, most will not. I have had them sent here by private parties several times. It is not a gun according to both the feds and the state, so there is no issue.

F

Some companies will ship here, most will not. I have had them sent here by private parties several times. It is not a gun according to both the feds and the state, so there is no issue.

F

That's what I'm concerned with. I have a company that will ship here, I just wanted to make sure it was legal before I told them to do it.

I was under the impression that it's not a problem to have them shipped. I've known several people that have had them shipped into MA. Old Flintlocks and the like... They didn't seem to have a problem for the reasons above. They were exempt. But, I'm not a lawyer...

Back
Top Bottom