Shipping handguns from an FFL

Akkurat

NES Member
I’m interested in hearing experiences/reviews of shipping services offered by FFLs in Vermont for shipping a handgun or rifle to an FFL in another state. Thanks!

what is there to know?

A FFL can (correct me if I am wrong) ship via USPS where non FFL's are limited to common carriers and very strict rules (must declare, next day shipping, can't do it at a store, only at a depot)

A FFL is going to take the gun in, record it on his books, verify the license of the receiving FFL, box it up and ship it, doing the outgoing transfer on his books

The receiving FFL will accept the shipment, log it into his inventory, and the end user will fill out whatever paperwork is required (4473), do the background check, and transfer the gun if the check comes back OK ( or if it is delayed at their option they can release the gun after X business days)

I'm not worried about the FFL's.... if something goes missing they are getting an anal probe they don't want..... now the USPS employees who see a package for Fred's Gun Shop.... they are the ones I worry about... and you can substitute UPS FedEx, etc for USPS depending on shipping method

Sorry, I guess my question wasn’t clear. I’m interested in hearing which FFLs in VT do this service in a manner that is convenient and at the best price. I’ve paid $60 at one and around $90 at another. Thanks.

My guy charges $30 for his paperwork plus shipping. Figure insured priority mail will run $25 to most places for a handgun.

Sorry, I guess my question wasn’t clear. I’m interested in hearing which FFLs in VT do this service in a manner that is convenient and at the best price. I’ve paid $60 at one and around $90 at another. Thanks.
I would pay $60 for this service. I feel $90 is steep for what they are doing. I realize that everyone's time is worth something, but $90 is a money grab IMO.
I passed on a pistol on here a little while back, the sellers FFL quoted him $110 for shipping. I cannot support that business.

I’m interested in hearing experiences/reviews of shipping services offered by FFLs in Vermont for shipping a handgun or rifle to an FFL in another state. Thanks!
Maybe I’m not reading this right. If you’re going to send a firearm to an FFL you mail it to the FFL in the other state you don’t bring it to an FFL in your state and have a mail it to another FFL. Any FFL requires you to have another FFL to send it to them… Isn’t somebody Id ever deal with

I just shipped a gun via FedEx last Friday. It cost me $56 to ship it with $500 insurance.

My local FFL charges $25 to do the paperwork plus shipping costs.

I figure it’s around the same cost to go either way.

Depends where in the state you are. I used to go to Pip's Barber Shop in Rutland. Been a few years, and I'm not sure if he is still there (the shop is, I think, but not the same owners). He charged a small fee and then shipped it via USPS Priority for a few bucks.

what is there to know?

A FFL can (correct me if I am wrong) ship via USPS where non FFL's are limited to common carriers and very strict rules (must declare, next day shipping, can't do it at a store, only at a depot)

A FFL is going to take the gun in, record it on his books, verify the license of the receiving FFL, box it up and ship it, doing the outgoing transfer on his books

The receiving FFL will accept the shipment, log it into his inventory, and the end user will fill out whatever paperwork is required (4473), do the background check, and transfer the gun if the check comes back OK ( or if it is delayed at their option they can release the gun after X business days)

I'm not worried about the FFL's.... if something goes missing they are getting an anal probe they don't want..... now the USPS employees who see a package for Fred's Gun Shop.... they are the ones I worry about... and you can substitute UPS FedEx, etc for USPS depending on shipping method
If something goes missing? Happens all the time…

It’s really not that big of a deal..

Involving two FFLs .. Paying insurance. Does not decrease the likelihood of something going missing it actually increases it

what is there to know?

Non FFL's can ship long guns via USPS to a firearm manufacturer.

Non FFL's can ship long guns via USPS to a firearm manufacturer.
...or to an FFL. I do it all the time. Use FFLeZ-Check to verify their license and premises address. I always have the eZ-Check printout with me in case my regular and knowledgeable clerk has a sub that day.
If something goes missing? Happens all the time…

It’s really not that big of a deal..

Involving two FFLs .. Paying insurance. Does not decrease the likelihood of something going missing it actually increases it

As for handguns FFL->FFL using Priority (Regional Flat Rate is often the best deal), I've done dozens through my FFL and my dealer for his business, hundreds with no problems. Prove your statement.

Last edited:
...or to an FFL. I do it all the time. Use FFLeZ-Check to verify their license and premises address. I always have the eZ-Check printout with me in case my regular and knowledgeable clerk has a sub that day.

As for handguns FFL->FFL using Priority (Regional Flat Rate is often the best deal), I've done dozens and my dealer hundreds with no problems. Prove your statement.
Non FFLs can’t use Usps for handguns. FFLs need to file a form PS 1508.

Op, why don't you ship it yourself?
Because (legally) shipping a handgun as an unwashed will usually cost you 2 to 3 times as much vs using an FFL to do it with USPS.

ETA: also gun shops tend to have oddly sized boxes and shit hanging around for packaging material, which makes shipping rifles easier.

As for handguns FFL->FFL using Priority (Regional Flat Rate is often the best deal), I've done dozens through my FFL and my dealer for his business, hundreds with no problems. Prove your statement.
That things go missing all the time or involving two ffls is more likely to get your stuff lost?

Mail gets lost all the time.. that’s just an indisputable fact.

Involving more people than necessary just increases the likelihood of shit getting lost.. That or somebody taking forever to get it done.

As far as cost savings.. I just don’t see it. I just use whatever the cheapest option is when I mil them out.

For me where the real problem lies is usually give people a three day inspection or whatever.. The problem really comes when somebody wants to return something and then it’s kind of go from that FFL back to your FFL.. To me that’s when to two flls usually get involved

That things go missing all the time or involving two ffls is more likely to get your stuff lost?

Mail gets lost all the time.. that’s just an indisputable fact.

Involving more people than necessary just increases the likelihood of shit getting lost.. That or somebody taking forever to get it done.

As far as cost savings.. I just don’t see it. I just use whatever the cheapest option is when I mil them out.

For me where the real problem lies is usually give people a three day inspection or whatever.. The problem really comes when somebody wants to return something and then it’s kind of go from that FFL back to your FFL.. To me that’s when to two flls usually get involved

Lol a handgun shipped via an unwashed is $50+ if you do it legally, a dealer ships usps for less than half that. Also any dealer that isn't shit isn't going to lose your gun, lol. Then again I am biased I usually use a dealer to move my stuff, as it's way easier than trying to get to a UPS counter when its open, waiting in line at a PO (to ship a rifle) etc.

ETA: it's also way easier than coming home and finding a handgun inside of a box hanging off your door knob..... [rofl]

Lol a handgun shipped via an unwashed is $50+ if you do it legally, a dealer ships usps for less than half that. Also any dealer that isn't shit isn't going to lose your gun, lol. Then again I am biased I usually use a dealer to move my stuff, as it's way easier than trying to get to a UPS counter when its open, waiting in line at a PO (to ship a rifle) etc.

ETA: it's also way easier than coming home and finding a handgun inside of a box hanging off your door knob..... [rofl]
I just leave them in the chicken coop…
Anyway you guys must be using the wrong Carriers.. I never even pay for insurance

This thread almost convinced me to get my C&R out… Just get it mailed to the door…

I prefer to ship from an FFL to buyer’s FFL. I’m interested in knowing whether there are any FFLs in Vermont that people have had good experiences shipping from and which would charge less than $60 total to ship a handgun.

I prefer to ship from an FFL to buyer’s FFL. I’m interested in knowing whether there are any FFLs in Vermont that people have had good experiences shipping from and which would charge less than $60 total to ship a handgun.
$60 total is likely unobtainable. I charge $50 plus actual shipping cost to ship. The customer gets to decide if they want to pay for insurance or not but I recommend USPS priority, insured, signature. I will also price and offer FedEx or UPS but USPS is always cheaper.

I charge $25 for transfers (this is a transfer) and another $25 for the hassle related to packing and going to the PO which makes up my $50 fee. Actual shipping cost is a variable I just make the customer cover directly.

Hoping for $60 total is not practical. Shipping an insured HK SP5 2nd day will cost over $75 just for shipping (most recent item shipped for reference)

If it’s that expensive to ship, then buyers should really appreciate offers where shipping is included. I find it hard to know whether I should advertise a used gun as “shipping included,” in which case buyers find the used price “too high,” or actually charge shipping separately, which buyers also seem to balk at. Maybe there just needs to be more awareness of what shipping a handgun costs.

Back
Top Bottom