• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping handgun from out of state to MA

Hey all,

Friend is giving me a P226 from out of state, FFL hasn't got back to me yet with instructions and I have never had a handgun shipped before. FFL knows the weapon and has agreed to intake it.

Is is the same process as shipping a lower? i.e. insured UPS ground?

I did a quick forum search but I didn't readily see the answer though i'm sure it's on here somewhere.

Thanks all

Make sure you tell the ffl exactly what model it is. If it's not plainly on "the lists" then the dealer will look at it, say I cant give it to you and charge you to ship it back

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

You may actually save money if you have your friend go to an FFL and have them ship it to your FFL. FFLs can use USPS to ship handguns unlike non-FFLs, and it may be significantly cheaper than overnight UPS or Fedex.

it should be shipped from a UPS customer service center, NOT just any old UPS location. shipper should declare it's a firearm and be 100% certain no ammo in the box....

WRT shipping, read this link:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

WRT the FFL transfer part, I would be 100% certain the FFL is OK doing the transfer....sometimes they will say yes but then the gun arrives and it doesn't meet their requirements for being on "the list" or whatever. honestly i am done blaming FFLs as much for this but rather our crappy state laws and general situation.

Hahaha, long time buddies. He's a seal about to deploy for round two. Yeah I was very specific with which model P226 it is, FFL will be transferring it to me as a "P226" without any other letters/numbers following :).

Although FedEx claims firearms must be sent through hubs, I have sent them through the FedEx store before. At first I thought the manager was going to give me a hard time, until he revealed that he was messing with me. Turns out he is a big Sig fan, from that point on I have had no problems.

I've shipped a couple handguns out from Colorado Springs, I went to UPS for a box and she asked what I was shipping. She told me not to seal it until they inspected it. I went there with the handgun in the open shipping box. The lady said "show me it's empty." I did and she said close it up. Done.

To ship the gun via UPS it's close to $100.......if you do it through a FFL, most will do it for around $40-$50 with Priority 2 day USPS shipping. It's much less painful to do it FFL to FFL IMO

Back
Top Bottom