Shipping Handgun for Repair

new handgun, malfunctions, I called the out of state maker, told them. said I was in mass. they said it's okay for me to ship it to them myself for repair, will send it back directly to me, sent me a fedex express shipping label. sound right?

new handgun, malfunctions, I called the out of state maker, told them. said I was in mass. they said it's okay for me to ship it to them myself for repair, will send it back directly to me, sent me a fedex express shipping label. sound right?
Yes. Go to FedEx and drop it off.

Magnum Research sent me a prepaid FedEx label when I blew up the gun. Dropped it off, 3 weeks later had it back with a new barrel.

Pack it good, but don't put it in a locked hard case.

they should be sending you a pre paid sticker IMHO, but it is legal for a person (non ffl) to send and recieve a firearm directly to and from the manufacturer for repair purposes,

Ship via Fed EX or UPS, at a depot not a retail store front.

Yes. Perfectly legal. Same way I did mine when I had a brand new gun malfunction. They say your supposed to go a main fed ex office that accepts guns Good luck.

Yup, you're fine legally.

The one challenge around here is dropping it off. Non hub locations may not take it. You may be better off scheduling a pick up.

I just got My Emissary back from SA, They sent me the return label for Fedex and I dropped it off at the Raynham customer center location. Picked it up there too as no one was home when they tried to deliver it.

A bit more: gun should be in one box, preferably the factory box, and that should be in another plain cardboard box. Nothing on the box should indicate firearms; most manufacturers will send you a shipping label with an address that has nothing to do with guns. (Smith & Wesson, for instance, is "SAW Inc.").

Get a receipt and tracking number when you give them the box. Tell them it contains and unloaded firearm.

How much of this process changes when you're sending an old handgun to a gunsmith (but not the factory) in another state? Do you just package it up and take it to a FedEx hub? The couple of times I've sent guns off for work in the past I've had a local FFL help me with the shipping part of it.

How much of this process changes when you're sending an old handgun to a gunsmith (but not the factory) in another state? Do you just package it up and take it to a FedEx hub? The couple of times I've sent guns off for work in the past I've had a local FFL help me with the shipping part of it.

Yup. You can ship direct to a smith for work. If you use your local FFL then it has to be shipped back to them. The smith won’t be able to send it directly back to you

If you use the FedEx store packing service you can pull it out of the holster, unload it on the counter and hand it over to the purple haired high school kid to pack. See if he checks the chamber 😂😂😂

Yup. You can ship direct to a smith for work. If you use your local FFL then it has to be shipped back to them. The smith won’t be able to send it directly back to you
FedEx just changed their policy late last year. Of course it’s up to you if you want to follow their policy. Though when I spoke to FedEx they said if I had a prepaid label from a manufacturer I could “ship” it myself0D5033A4-7211-4F48-8333-64A7AAD68111.png

And when I shipped my CZ to Cajun Gun works back in the spring, I was told they only accept guns shipped from FFLs now

I’m assuming if the FFL holder sends a prepaid return label then shipping fedex is ok since it’s in their license

maybe I’m wrong

I’m assuming if the FFL holder sends a prepaid return label then shipping fedex is ok since it’s in their license

maybe I’m wrong
True, I sent 2 handguns to Sig for their recall/upgrade via FedEx depot with no problem. This was about 6 weeks ago. Sig sent the prepaid label and it was all good.
Another good reason to have a C&R license, even if the gun in question is new.
True for UPS but not FedEx per their latest policy.

Back
Top Bottom