• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping gun to Springfield for warranty work, legal?

Hi all, I have to ship my 1911 to Springfield in IL for some maintenance work (feeding issue) they tell me no issue ship via fedex. Obviously I’m skeptical given our laws, anyone had any experience with this? Is it legal to ship there and back since it’s registered in my name, just feels weird as everything I’ve done has been through an FFL.

Thanks in advance

Hi all, I have to ship my 1911 to Springfield in IL for some maintenance work (feeding issue) they tell me no issue ship via fedex. Obviously I’m skeptical given our laws, anyone had any experience with this? Is it legal to ship there and back since it’s registered in my name, just feels weird as everything I’ve done has been through an FFL.

Thanks in advance
Ask Springfield for a shipping label and then just DO IT. It's prefectly legal. Further, Springfield can then return the repaired gun directly to your home address without FFL involvement.

I had to return a gun to S&W and they had all the details on their web page. You will receive a shipping label, bring it to your nearest FedEx location and ship it. The only strange thing with mine was that S&W instructed me to tell the FedEx employee that the package I was sending was a gun. She asked me if it was unloaded. I kept a straight face and assured her that it was. That's it. Shipped back to my address. No problems. Good luck.

Ask Springfield for a shipping label and then just DO IT. It's prefectly legal. Further, Springfield can then return the repaired gun directly to your home address without FFL involvement.

Confirmed... Sent in my brand new POS S&W M&Poop 45 for repairs multiple times before it actually worked properly... At which point I promptly sold it.

... the FedEx ... asked me if it was unloaded. I kept a straight face and assured her that it was. ...
You have a bright future as a B-movie armorer. [shocked][thumbsup]

Pack it like it's a dozen eggs........I like to use that nylon reinforced tape also......
On the package - not the gun!
#ProTip
47743725-9976887-Sherrif_Marceno_said_that_he_is_certain_that_police_intervention-a-18_1631288676919.jpg

I think it was Bob Boudrie who said that guns need to be shipped from a FedEx Shipping Center -- like the the one on Third Avenue in Needham.
You are not supposed to bring them to a FedEx Office site or a FedEx Access Point (like Walgreens).
The last time I shipped guns (a month ago) the shipping agent @ FedEx asked to see them to confirm they were unloaded.
So pack them but don't seal the box until the agent accepts the shipment.

I think it was Bob Boudrie who said that guns need to be shipped from a FedEx Shipping Center -- like the the one on Third Avenue in Needham.
You are not supposed to bring them to a FedEx Office site or a FedEx Access Point (like Walgreens).
The last time I shipped guns (a month ago) the shipping agent @ FedEx asked to see them to confirm they were unloaded.
True on the ship center, not retail "store" locations as the latter are franchise operations, not corp FedEx.

They are making up rules when they do things like that inspection you mention. That's not part of FedEx's own published process. You are supposed to inform the clerk it's a firearm, and that's it. The firearms are supposed to be double-boxed and the receiving crew asks the safety questions but they do not inspect anything - can you imagine corporate FedEx going, "Yeah, and we want our desk guys or the customer taking out handguns and rifles, waving them about, so we can check if they're unloaded... and I guess unload them if they're not... yaknow, maybe we can hire Alec Baldwin" - !? But I've had a UPS agent (at a depot, not a "Store") do a similar thing (in that case, insisting on reviewing a copy of the recipient's FFL), so this sort of nonsense with self-important doofs does happen.

I always box up and seal the boxes. No way I'm going to open the box for any reason at a FedEx or UPS depot. I'll escalate it up the management chain if need be, as clerks are well known to make up rules as they see fit . . . just like TSA, airlines clerks, LEOs, and DAs.

Had to ship a revolver to ruger a few years ago.....I just took it to a FedEx center at a strip mall. Easy peasy. They didn't ask and I didn't tell. Is it a company policy or somwthing?

when i used to work at fedex when id get a sw return or another maker as soon ass id see SW on the label or they would inform me it was a firearm they were shipping i would talk shop with them and they'd be taken back a bit like wow i didnt know gun guys worked at fedex [rofl]

Had to ship a revolver to ruger a few years ago.....I just took it to a FedEx center at a strip mall. Easy peasy. They didn't ask and I didn't tell. Is it a company policy or somwthing?
It was funny. I took it to a big hub, already sealed. Told her it was a firearm and she said “yeah stupid you have to tell us, idc and everyone should have one” 🤣

Just for the hell of it I looked up FedEx's policy on shipping firearms.
I was wrong, no need to declare what is in the box.

I saw that too! Springfield told me to let them know so I figured what the hell

We should take an NES poll:
  1. Machine Parts.
  2. Leg Lamp (FRAGILE).
  3. Sink pedestal.
  4. ...?

That's interesting. UPS still requires you verbally inform them. How To Ship Firearms | UPS - United States

I wonder if FedEx dropped it when they decided to allow shipping firearms from FedEx Office locations?

when i used to work at fedex when id get a sw return or another maker as soon ass id see SW on the label or they would inform me it was a firearm they were shipping i would talk shop with them and they'd be taken back a bit like wow i didnt know gun guys worked at fedex [rofl]

Did you let them know that the gays work at UPS?

Try reading the BATFE Q&A and regs on shipping as a non-licensee (don't have an FFL). Those rules can supersede UPS/FedEx policies.

Back
Top Bottom