• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping bullets to Maine house- straw purchase???

I ordered some reloading equipment from Natchez [smile] and while I was on the phone with the guy we talked about the wonderful restrictions by the republic of MA. I figure I'd ask if I could ship bullets to my Maine house and he said only if the billing address is in Maine as well- otherwise it would be a straw purchase! I thought I knew what a straw purchase was but I didn't think this would be one because it would be going to me NOT someone else. I don't have plastic registered to my Maine house so it's a no go anyway. The only thing that made me feel a little better was the shipping made it cost prohibitive anyway.

I ordered some reloading equipment from Natchez [smile] and while I was on the phone with the guy we talked about the wonderful restrictions by the republic of MA. I figure I'd ask if I could ship bullets to my Maine house and he said only if the billing address is in Maine as well- otherwise it would be a straw purchase! I thought I knew what a straw purchase was but I didn't think this would be one because it would be going to me NOT someone else. I don't have plastic registered to my Maine house so it's a no go anyway. The only thing that made me feel a little better was the shipping made it cost prohibitive anyway.

You might know what a straw purchase is, but he certainly doesn't. The only problem you might have with this transaction is one totally due to a corporate policy. Of course, the guy on the phone might not even have the corporate policy correct. A lot of places are starting to refuse shipments to an address other than the billing address unless that address is registered with the credit card company as an alternate delivery address. This is purely and anti-fraud measure and has absolutely nothing to do with gun laws or regulations.

Ken

Right about the law. Wrong about the final sentence. Many vendors have a published prohibition against refusing MA billing addresses for out of state shipments and have no specific published restriction on other mismatches. It has noting to do with the law as written, but has everything to do with the law when the consequences are "retain MA licensed counsel or get ready for a default judgement in civil court."

Try getting your CC company to register your ME address as an "alternative address" in their records. Then call and order to the ME address, NOT mentioning anything about MA and see if it goes thru . . . it probably will.

Foolish question then but I guess I'll ask.

I'm in MA. I was considering buying ammo and have it delivered to a friend in NH.
No go I guess?

That's fine. Just get him to order it and then pay him for it, ding fries
are done. A friend of mine does this all the time, has his son who lives
in NH get him bullets and the like, and just drives over the border to pay him
and then pick them up.

The key thing to remember here is that there is -nothing illegal- about you
posessing the ammunition, as if you are licensed in MA, you are permitted by
law to do so. Any jackassery on the part of the vendor or the AG is
not really germaine.

-Mike

You can't outright buy reloading components in other states?

If I understand your question correctly, there should be no problem with a Mass resident going to another state and buying reloading components (or loaded ammo for that matter) unless that state has similar restrictions to what we have. And offhand I can't think of another state close to us that is this bad.

Sure can... and it's likely I'll do that, probably in NH or even MA. Not many shops that I'm aware of in S Maine that aren't expensive (Like KTP). It turns out that shipping kind of negates the benefits. ~$15 for 1000 9mm bullets doesn't make for much saving even when you account for the tax. Anyway- I was just asking the guy at xxxxxx.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes you can. I often buy components when I'm in NH or Maine. However, if you want to order them from out of state, most will not ship to a Mass address. There are a few exceptions, but it's wise to NOT PUBLISH THEM in this forum. In fact, the mods probably remove it when they see it.

PM me if you'd like the name of a vendor that will sell into Mass.

Back
Top Bottom