Shipping ammo out of state?

Hello all, Are there any laws on sending ammo out of state,My mother is in FL. and cant find any ammo for her 357[grin] ,I found some and would like to send it to her.Also should this be shipped UPS? THANKS FOR ANY INFO.

UPS Ground, marked in compliance with Fed Law (ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition or some new funky symbol). Must be dropped off at the UPS Depot or handed to a driver. [This is combo of Fed Law and UPS Regs.]

Note: Same deal if you decide to use FedEx Ground. Illegal to ship thru USPO.

ETA: No idea if there is any CT law wrt shipping ammo. I'll leave that answer to a CT resident.

Just for confirmation, what Len posted is right and works. The advantage of the funky new symbol is that you are unlikely to get questions from the counter staff when you hand them the package. For clarification, regular UPS stores will NOT accept ammo, and it's illegal to send ammo via USPS.

UPS Ground, marked in compliance with Fed Law (ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition or some new funky symbol). Must be dropped off at the UPS Depot or handed to a driver. [This is combo of Fed Law and UPS Regs.]

Note: Same deal if you decide to use FedEx Ground. Illegal to ship thru USPO.

ETA: No idea if there is any CT law wrt shipping ammo. I'll leave that answer to a CT resident.

This is a little disturbing. I hate the UN, I consider them a foreign invader.

Diamond Labels Will Replace ORM-D Labels on Ammo Shipments

The days of the “ORM-D: Small Arms Cartridges” labels for ammo shipments are numbered. The Dept. of Transportation (DOT) is phasing out the current ORM-D ammo labels, replacing them with a larger striped diamond label that does not mention “Small Arms Cartridges”. This change is designed to harmonize U.S. shipping rules with United Nations standards. You can start using the new “Limited Quantity” diamond labels for ammo shipments immediately, but they are not mandatory — yet. You can continue to use the old ORM-D “Cartridges, Small Arms” labels until December 31, 2013. As of January 1, 2014 you MUST use the Striped Diamonds.

Diamond Labels Will Replace ORM-D Labels on Ammo Shipments

New ORD Shipping Labels.png

Last edited:

Don't forget that sticker. I'm not sure what the status of his issue is now but I know of someone who got a 5-digit fine for failing to do that.

Does UPS have the funky symbol when you go to ship? if not where do you buy it?

I have a pdf file that I found with google. If you want, email me off-forum at newellj at gmail dot com and I'll send you a copy. If you use these, you do NOT need to use the old ORM-D labels that say "small arms ammunition" or whatever they said - anonymity is good IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom