• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping a stripped lower to another state

I did a search on this but came up empty. I want to send a stripped lower to my brother in Texas. I know that I need to ship it to a FFL in his state. My question is in the shipping method. Since this is a stripped lower, do I ship it the same way as a long gun (as opposed to a pistol), via ups or fedex ground. So here is what I want to ask (this is my first firearm shipment of any kind):

1) Can I ship via priority mail through the post office?

2) Even though it is a stripped lower, do I still need to inform the shipping carrier as to the contents?

3) Do you recommend one shipping carrier over another in regards to price or all they all about the same?

4) What do I do with the signed FFL license that was emailed to me?

Did I miss anything else? Thanks for your help, guys. I appreciate it.

No. It is a firearm, not a rifle, if it has never been assembled. You will need to ship it UPS or FedEx, as USPS only allows for shipment of long guns by non-licensees. Use FedEx or UPS ground with insurance.

Yes, you need to inform the carrier. Either one will work. As for the FFL, just file it away.

So I walk in to UPS and tell them that I would like to ship a "firearm" using their ground service? Can I bring the box in all ready to go or do they inspect the package before shipping (thus I need to not seal the box)?

it is not a rifle or shotgun, so it can't go US Postal service unless you are a FFL, authorized agent of an FFL or someone meeting a long list of obscure exceptions.

Could you drop it in a priority package and send it... sure. If it gets damaged and they open it you are screwed. If it goes missing and turns up assembled and at a crime scene... screwed.

Send it UPS from a UPS depot, declared, overnight and save yourself the headache.

So I walk in to UPS and tell them that I would like to ship a "firearm" using their ground service? Can I bring the box in all ready to go or do they inspect the package before shipping (thus I need to not seal the box)?

Yes. Tell them it's a firearm, but NOT a handgun. If you say handgun, their company policy requires overnight.

To be honest, I'll expect confusion from any UPS employee, even those who regularly process firearms shipments, when you walk in trying to make that distinction.

No need to leave the box open. seal it, declare it, ship it.

You can walk right into UPS with the box sealed. Don't go to a UPS store, it has to be a customer center/hub. They will probably ask you if it is "unloaded". I have done this twice at the UPS customer center in Shrewsbury without issue. I had the copy of the signed FFL in hand just in case but it was not needed either time.

What is the difference from declaring it as a "firearm" versus a "stripped lower"? Are there legal implications of one over the other? Is calling it one safer than another?

The postal definition of a firearm is "any device (including a starter gun) that is designed, or may readily be converted, to expel a projectile by an explosion, a spring, or other mechanical action, or by air or gas pressure with sufficient force to be used as a weapon." (DMM 601 11.1.1(c)). The definition does not include the frames and receivers of such devices, as does 18 USC 44 § 921(3).

I believe the post office would consider a stripped lower as simply a gun part and therefor acceptable for mailing. Though 18 USC 44 § 922 still pretty much restricts you from mailing it out of state to anybody but an FFL or yourself.

What is the difference from declaring it as a "firearm" versus a "stripped lower"? Are there legal implications of one over the other? Is calling it one safer than another?

"Stripped Lower" is a technical definition. "Firearm" is the legal definition.

Ok, so I just got off of the phone with the FFL. He said that I ship it to him in a box with no markings indicating the contents of the box. He also told me that since it was a stripped lower that it is considered to be "machined parts" and to declare it as such. I am so lost. How can something so simple be so complicated.

Though 18 USC 44 § 922 still pretty much restricts you from mailing it out of state to anybody but an FFL or yourself.

Can you only ship it to your dwelling in another state (like a summer house) or could you ship it to a friend/relative's house provided your name was the only one it was addressed to, and no one else opened it?

Can you only ship it to your dwelling in another state (like a summer house) or could you ship it to a friend/relative's house provided your name was the only one it was addressed to, and no one else opened it?

Yes, you can ship a firearm to yourself c/o somebody else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom