Shield vs glock help

Ok lads I need some help again on a weapon of choice. Here is my jam. I originally wanted a glock 23 either a gen 3 or 4 it didn't matter to me. But after doing a little research I started looking at the shield and the glock 43. I know the 43 is a 9, as I currently own a full size m&p 9. This weapon will be used for my EDC and while I am off duty. I would like the 40 (due to me wanting the 23) but wanted to come here and just get input on these 2 other tools. Thanks for the help and appreciate all advice given.

I'd go for the g43.
This. You said off duty, so I assume you are LE. 43 is zero risk, you can buy it at non rape price, and if you don't like it, you can sell it for more than you paid for it to a commoner. Or be a bro and break even. I like my 43. Def not a range gun. But a ccw that you hardly notice you have on, yup.

Last edited:
They're both good reliable pistols.

Personally i like the shield for increased capacity, stainless slide, metal sights, and lower cost.

Sure, you can add +1 base plates and better sights to the 43, but S&W gives you that out of the box.

Not sure if LEO can get the free state trigger version of the Shield in MA (i assume so), but if not that's definitely a consideration and would really push me towards the Glock.

Go with the 23. Thirteen + 1 of devastating fortay... you can't go wrong. I have a 22 and a 27. The shield was not enough smaller than the 27 to justify 8 + 1 of 9mm vs 10 + 1 of .40 (with Pearce baseplate). Just sold my shield and put the money toward a Seecamp. I jumped on the .40/Glock bandwagon from the start and I have no regrets.

I was at a shop recently trying to decide between the G43 and Shield 9. I left with both[smile]

I wouldn't waste your time looking for a shield 40. More bullets are better. Shot placement trumps caliber...

Your user tag says you are from MA, so with that I'll say shield, but only because the glock is not AG reg compliant and therefore nearly impossible to find. If you know a unicorn, I'd be more than happy to keep my mouth shut about any pm's I receive.

Your user tag says you are from MA, so with that I'll say shield, but only because the glock is not AG reg compliant and therefore nearly impossible to find. If you know a unicorn, I'd be more than happy to keep my mouth shut about any pm's I receive.
I believe he is LEO

I would say buy the S&W Shield...

Sounds like your a LEO so I think you can get the Free States Shield, you might still want to add a APEX kit to it though...

I'm a Leftie and have never liked Glocks, they don't fit my bear paws and they dig into my hand...

The Shield fits me perfect...

Attachments

• S&W Shield DS 7.jpg
    S&W Shield DS 7.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 75
  • S&W Shield 1.jpg
    S&W Shield 1.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 76
  • S&W Shield 16.jpg
    S&W Shield 16.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 64
Buy a Glock [smile]

- - - Updated - - -

Not impossible

Cant help you on the g43 vs shield, I just dont know enough about their track record.

I can recommend you stay away from the G23. The gen 4s might be different, but the gen3s had all sorts of durability problems. They would crack a locking block or frame pin far more often than a G22. They also had trouble when a wespon light was added to the mix.

G19s on the other hand share the same reputation all glocks have for durability, it was just something about the g23 that didnt quite work as well as the other designs.

I would say buy the S&W Shield...

Sounds like your a LEO so I think you can get the Free States Shield, you might still want to add a APEX kit to it though...

I'm a Leftie and have never liked Glocks, they don't fit my bear paws and they dig into my hand...

The Shield fits me perfect...

I'm also a south paw. I like the G43 because of the reversible mag release. My Shield is a "free state" one and the trigger isn't anything great like I was hoping for. The whole "free state" shield seems like a pointless thing to buy IMO, because it needs an Apex trigger regardless. The G43 trigger is much better stock vs stock.

As for feel, I like the smaller size of the G43 better, but HATE the Glock hump. The Shield has less felt recoil/muzzle flip than the G43, IMO

Thank you for all of the input guys. I greatly appreciate it. For the LE questions, yes I am. All my buddies love there glocks which I do to. I just don't know what to do that's why I put it here.

I'm also a south paw. I like the G43 because of the reversible mag release. My Shield is a "free state" one and the trigger isn't anything great like I was hoping for. The whole "free state" shield seems like a pointless thing to buy IMO, because it needs an Apex trigger regardless. The G43 trigger is much better stock vs stock.

As for feel, I like the smaller size of the G43 better, but HATE the Glock hump. The Shield has less felt recoil/muzzle flip than the G43, IMO
Really? so half the pull weight means nothing? I had the 10lb shield years ago, then Lou Business Trig job then and now a Free state shield with 1k rounds through her and its worlds better, only thing that fixes a shield to be what we all want would be a 1 piece alum trig.

Last edited:
I highly recommend the shield. I have a Shield 9mm and I love it. Sometimes I carry it on the train too!

Plan on making a few minor upgrades. Heres what I did to mine:
-Talon grips! They make a huge difference.
-Promag 10 round magazines. It'l run you about $65 for two. After you break them in a bit (Springs are very stiff) they work great.
-Color fill the sights. the stock white sights get lost easy. I color filled my sights with neon nail polish and they look much better. Heck with the money you save by NOT buying a Glock you could afford to get some nice night sights. $60-120 on amazon depending on brand.

So I carry a Shield with 2 extended mags. Total cost of my carry setup was $430.

No comparison between the Glock and the Shield. The Glock 27 is nice if you want the 40. The 23 is a mid size and is the big brother to the 43.

I dislike the 40 shield and the G43 equally... While I like my Glocks, with gen 4 19, and MOS 17 and 34 in the safe, the shield 9 makes more sense for most people. The g43 his a bit to big to be a pocket pistol, and definitely has more recoil than it should. The shield 40 falls under the exact same statement I just made for the 43 IMHO.

Really? so half the pull weight means nothing? I had the 10lb shield years ago, then Lou Business Trig job then and now a Free state shield with 1k rounds through her and its worlds better, only thing that fixes a shield to be what we all want would be a 1 piece alum trig.

The weight of the MA compliant 10lb trigger shield never bothered me. It has a clean break and was a consistant heavy feel. The free state shield I have has a crappy trigger break. Personally, I'd rather a clean breaking heavy trigger than a lighter mushy breaking trigger. YMMV

Have you shot the 43? depending on your hand size, the 43 can be uncomfortable to grip. Small guns aren't made for everyone. I don't have a shield, but if your looking for off duty the 23 might not be the size you want.

Hmmm. Ok. It's def got my wheels turning about this gun. Again guys thanks for the great advice. Anytime I need help I come here and it helps huge. I fellow officer had a shield I'm gonna shoot that soon and go to MFS and rent a glock and shoot that to see if I like it. As for my hand size I have medium size hands but are thin, not bear mitts by any means.

While you are there shoot the glock 27..

And do yourself a favor shoot the little glock 42.. i love mine , yes its a .380 but its so much fun at the range no recoil at all

I have all three that you are interested in (actually multiple G23's) and would let you try them if you would like, PM me I am on the south shore. The shield is a 40 and was an issue until I got the trigger done then it became my favorite but then I got into Glocks.

I have a 9 shield. I wish it was the same size as the 43. I went with the shield because it was on sale at the time $299 and the 43 did not exist yet.

The MA 10lb trigger does not bother me at all. It is my carry. I consistantly shoot it well at the range. Having good control of your body and muscles help... That's easy if youre athletic / active.

Ive shot the 43 and it is perfect for somebody with smaller hands... The 42 is even better. I could reach the mag release without repositioning my hand

Last edited:
Love my 43, for me, it's the perfect size.

null_77.jpg

Back
Top Bottom