Shield plus 2.0 trigger (10lbs)

I'm a new shooter and still working on my trigger control but a 10lb trigger isn't helping and after a while its tiring because I have carpal tunnel or something. Do you have any suggestions to make it around 5-6lbs? Maybe swapping out some parts keeping the stock trigger or should I get a whole new trigger kit? I plan to carry it daily.

I suggest doing some research to see whether you can convert the gun to have a free state trigger.

It is my understanding that on the original shields, the Massachusetts trigger was done in different ways at different times. At one time, it was not easy to convert to free state parts because the springs for the Mass trigger were a different diameter, and the frame inserts were different to accommodate them. I have been told that in later production, springs could be swapped to convert from Mass trigger to free state, but I am not certain if this is true.

There are two things that I can state with more confidence. First, the free state trigger is fine. People will tell you that the Apex trigger is really better, and that is somewhat true. The Apex trigger is better than the free state trigger, but the difference is not that dramatic. For training and carry, the free state trigger is more than acceptable.

Second, S&W has no interest in helping you convert from Mass trigger to free state, so you will need to do research about what parts are available and work correctly. What I am not certain about is whether S&W will actively obstruct this process by making parts unavailable.

There are several reasons why I prefer a free state trigger over a gunsmith or Apex trigger. First, you have stated you want to carry the pistol, and I prefer stock guns for carry if possible. I am not in the camp that says carry guns must be factory stock, but I do think it is preferable if possible. With the Mass trigger in a shield, the pistol is very difficult to shoot, and arguably unsuitable for most purposes. So making some changes is pretty much necessary, but I prefer to make the most conservative change possible. If you can get the gun working acceptably with all factory parts, then that is my preferred option. That option is also likely to be cheaper than other options, and may possibly simplify maintenance down the road.

Sorry I cannot provide exact instructions, but this approximate roadmap is all I have right now. And if you have no luck with factory parts, I will say that the Apex parts are reasonable if you don't find options that you like better.

I carry with an Apex trigger
If it is questioned my lawyer will argue that the Mass trigger puts innocent bystanders at risk and upgrading the trigger to make the firearm controllable and accurate is the prudent and cautious thing for a reasonable person to do.

Interesting to see S&W go with 10lb triggers and no manual safeties. Good for those who were planning an Apex swap anyway, but given how much people were saying how improved the free state stock trigger was, it's still kind of a shame.

Years ago, I bought a Sig and couldn't pull the trigger without using two hands. According to the gunsmith, the trigger was closer to 15lbs than 10. I often wonder how this state gets away with pushing garbage like this on consumers.

I had a Shield compact 9mm for about a year. The ergonomics were excellent but the trigger pull was like trying to throw a football. If you have to have a plastic gun, the Sig P320 has the shortest pull of any striker-fired gun I’ve handled. The H&K VP9 has similar, excellent ergonomics to the shield compact.

I also just got an email yesterday from S&W announcing a metal-framed Shield. Looks promising, but I’d only ever carry a CZ now.

Interesting to see S&W go with 10lb triggers and no manual safeties. Good for those who were planning an Apex swap anyway, but given how much people were saying how improved the free state stock trigger was, it's still kind of a shame.
SW also has a sku with the safety and a shit trigger. 🤣

They are still unwilling to push because they got whacked by the AG a couple of times for alternatives.....

I'm a new shooter and still working on my trigger control but a 10lb trigger isn't helping and after a while its tiring because I have carpal tunnel or something. Do you have any suggestions to make it around 5-6lbs? Maybe swapping out some parts keeping the stock trigger or should I get a whole new trigger kit? I plan to carry it daily.
Hi Im John....did you have the trigger done?..im asking because i have a shield 45 2.0 with standard trigger and would swap the parts for the 10 lb trigger if you still have them or if you had the work done and wanted to sell or trade the parts let me know ..thanks

Back
Top Bottom