Shield Magazine Extensions

Wanting to get some mag extensions for my shield that give me two more rounds in the 8 shot magazines. Considering hyve, ndz performance, strike industries, or maggutz. Has anyone tried those brands or have suggestions for any not mentioned?

The ndz is +3 so I’d have to put it on the 7 rounder, and the strike is a little bit of a funky fit on the 8 rounder but it’s almost half as much money. They’re all pretty pricey at 25-30$ each either exception of the strike which is 15 or so.

I have the hyve mag extension on mine. I have been using it for about a month. I bought one to try it out. I think I will be getting more. I have been to the range twice with it and have had no problems at all.

not criticizing these extensions but all of a sudden, after looking at this mod for the shield, the glock 19 mhs doesn't sound like a crazy idea anymore.

not criticizing these extensions but all of a sudden, after looking at this mod for the shield, the glock 19 mhs doesn't sound like a crazy idea anymore.
Keeping in mind that I haven’t handled a g19x, I think the shield is a slightly different animal just because it’s thin and light. I wish they made a factory 10 rounder if only for a backup. Heck, I wish they made a shield with a 4” barrel and a 10round grip.

I have a few Taran Tactical +2 on some of my mags. Fit great. Can’t speak as for the value vs. other companies mag extensions because I got them dirt cheap barely used.

Keeping in mind that I haven’t handled a g19x, I think the shield is a slightly different animal just because it’s thin and light. I wish they made a factory 10 rounder if only for a backup. Heck, I wish they made a shield with a 4” barrel and a 10round grip.

Do an m1 9c with a threaded barrel. Yes it's not as thin as a shield. But it'll be as you described.

Recently I decided I wanted a 10-round mag with absolute minimum size, and I'm particular, so I scoured the internet for mags and mag extension options and found something like 7 different ones. I don't like making guns look creative, colorful, or unusual, so that narrowed down my selection a bit.

The MagGuts +2 kit (extension+spring) will get a factory 8 up to 10, but I read some negative things about magazine loading and release with that configuration, because the polymer "ring" that bridges the gap between the base plate and the grip tends to slide around on the mag. I also don't like the look or ergonomics of the MagGuts extension because of the gap at the back of the grip.

So I settled on the 7-round S&W factory mag with the Strike EMP +2 extension and the MagGuts +1 spring. That should get me to 10 rounds with roughly the same length as the MagGuts +2 kit (can't get any shorter) and the ergonomics I want. I have yet to buy the MagGuts spring, but it's worked great so far with the factory spring (~50 rounds put through it).

The picture below has, in order:
  • 7-round (S&W factory)
  • 8-round (S&W factory)
  • 9-round (S&W factory 7-round + Strike EMP 2-round extension)
  • 10-round (Promag with grip tape)
Most reviews say the Promag is unreliable, and it's also unnecessarily tall. But it's cheap, so I got it as a range-only mag. FWIW, I have put about 60 rounds through it with no issues.

Y1vvm1v.jpg

So I settled on the 7-round S&W factory mag with the Strike EMP +2 extension and the MagGuts +1 spring.

I wouldn't recommend mixing up mag kits. They were not designed to work together so while you might get good results, you're playing with fire.

I use the MagGuts +1 on the 7-rd carry mag as my primary when carrying, with the +2 spring/baseplate on the 8-rd mag as a backup (or, if the Shield is doing nightstand duty I swap this mag in when the holster comes off my belt). The MagGuts setup is a lot better than the factory Shield magazine internals. It's been 100% reliable for me. I also added MagGuts +1 internals to my S&W Bodyguard magazines.

I wouldn't recommend mixing up mag kits. They were not designed to work together so while you might get good results, you're playing with fire.

This is definitely my one remaining concern, so I probably wouldn't recommend anyone else do that mix and match at this point. I'm going to try it and I'll report back here.

I did do some careful measuring and I believe that the Strike EMP +2 in combination with the factory 7-round mag is virtually identical in height to the MagGuts +2 & factory 8-round mag configuration, so I'm hoping it will work. If not, I'll use the MagGuts on another mag.

I recently read about someone who added the magguts spring to the hyve and got 12 rounds in the mag with no issue. Reliable and solid.

I don't really get all these extensions, why take a gun designed to be sub compact and make the grip longer than a full size gun. If I want more rounds that bad I'll just carry a larger gun
It can be taken too far, but Strike EMP on 7-round mag is only 1/4" longer than an 8-round mag.

I don't really get all these extensions, why take a gun designed to be sub compact and make the grip longer than a full size gun. If I want more rounds that bad I'll just carry a larger gun
The shield with an extension is still a lot lighter than most larger guns. It also maintains its width which is easier iwb than wider guns. I almost always carry a spare magazine too which is trivially easy to conceal no matter what the length is.

A shield with a magazine extension is still easier for me to carry than a G19.

I did do some careful measuring and I believe that the Strike EMP +2 in combination with the factory 7-round mag is virtually identical in height to the MagGuts +2 & factory 8-round mag configuration, so I'm hoping it will work. If not, I'll use the MagGuts on another mag.

Make sure that the internal measurements are the same- the external measurements don't matter.

This is definitely my one remaining concern, so I probably wouldn't recommend anyone else do that mix and match at this point. I'm going to try it and I'll report back here.

In case anyone runs into this thread in the future - this didn't work. Factory 7-round mag with Strike EMP +2 and MagGuts = fail.

Reviving an old thread. The Glock 43X grabbed my attention, but I shoot my Shield so well I would like to try to boost the mag capacity to compete with the G43X. It looks like the MagGuts spring with baseplate seems to be the best way to get +2, but I’m not crazy about changing the OEM spring as well as the baseplate. Anyone have more recommendations?

I got the HYVE for my shield and every time, the mag is ejected after the fifth round is sent. I purchased mine direct from HYVE, I purchased the modified magazines they sell. I noticed that one of the loops of the spring seems to be pushing the mag lock of the gun thus allowing for the mag to be ejected. I hope it is a fluke. Also note that with these, the gun prints a lot more when carrying.

then it wouldn't be a shield, now would it?

Back
Top Bottom