• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shield FTE

I have been having som FTE issues with my 9mm shield lately. At first I blamed it on the cheap bulk 115gr ammo I was using, However today I brought 3 different brands and weight ammo and all had issues. This is an early gun roughly the first 8 months of production. 3 FTE's today. Same issues before and after Apex trigger kit was installed. The brass ammo is some hot 124gr and the aluminum is federal 115. Not pictured is also winchester 115gr which had a similar FTE as the brass 124gr ammo

I have a new recoil spring assembly on the way, figured I would try that before shipping the gun back

Last edited:
likely issue w extractor. not a big deal...better to discover such issues on the range than with badguy approaching. send it back to S&W with summary of your ammo results. they will fix it for you.

also don't shoot the alum case ammo first....shoot that last so you aren't dealing with a gummy chamber.

I don't think the recoil spring will matter, that has little to do with extraction/ejection.

could be the recoil spring but I doubt it. did you try other mags?

likely issue w extractor. not a big deal...better to discover such issues on the range than with badguy approaching. send it back to S&W with summary of your ammo results. they will fix it for you.
also don't shoot the alum case ammo first....shoot that last so you aren't dealing with a gummy chamber.

I don't think the recoil spring will matter, that has little to do with extraction/ejection.

This also. I know some Gen4 Glocks had shitty extractors but they fixed it since then.

Possibly extractor or the extractor spring.
Both are cheap parts if they need to be replaced.
Before you go that far though., scrub the living piss out of the chamber and clean around the extractor and oil.
It's not uncommon on some designs for crud to pack under the extractor and not allow it to clamp down into the case rim as firmly as it could.
I've stuck a dental pick in under the gap and came out with chunks on a couple of guns.

Try getting the +p extractor spring for it. And cleaning it as mentioned above. How many rounds have you put through it? The apex is awesome too on a side note have it in my m&p

Back
Top Bottom