• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shield 9mm Trigger Stuck to rear?!

Let me first start out by saying I do have the Apex duty/carry kit installed on the gun. I Picked up some new Carry ammo(Federal HST 124) and was function testing at the range today. I am pretty sure this is not an ammo specific problem but thats yet to be determined.
While making fast follow up shots the trigger stuck to the rear. The trigger stop located on the back rear of trigger jumped on top of the frame trigger stop jamming trigger closed. Round ejected and fead new round but trigger was stuck. Popped my keys behind the trigger and popped it off of trigger stop and continued on but was repeatable. Happened 4 times in a row so very repeatable. I have had the gun a year and probably have 1000 rounds through it and never experienced this before even during a mag dump. My current carry ammo is Hornady critical defense and I have never seen this happen. Recoil on the 124 felt a little more but cant say I noticed a huge differance. Wondering if maybe during harder recoil gripping tighter and pulling trigger thats doing it? With gun empty and pulling trigger hard I cant make it happen. Any thoughts or ideas? This kind of scares the hell out of me seeing as this is my carry piece.
And no, I dont wanna sell it and buy a glock.
Thanks

Im gonna buy a few boxes of my old carry ammo and try to recreate the problem. I dont understand why the trigger would be jumping the stop and getting jammed no mater how hot it is though.

Could either of the stops be wearing? Probably not the blade on the trigger, but I believe the nubbin on the frame is "just" polymer. The frame might be flexing enough under recoil that fast follow up shots have enough tolerance stacking that the trigger is able to slip past the stop on the frame.

YMMV, and good luck!

Hmm, slightly frightening scenario if I needed to defend my family or myself. Guess I'll go to my back up carry till I get this figured out.

Yes, both the nubs are polymer. Looking this issue up I did see someone had this same exact problem 2 years ago but didnt see any post with resolved or findings.

Last edited:
your pistol is dicked up. who installed the apex kit?

either get it to a qualified gunsmith or replace with factory parts and test it.

- - - Updated - - -

Try a different ammo. Maybe that batch is really hot. How was the recoil

not related

Im assuming the trigger breaks very late and you're pulling almost to the trigger stop? Open the Shepard's hook a bit so the trigger breaks sooner. It's a common issue with apex kits in shields as the tolerances are loose and vary from gun to gun

This problem never happens with standard range ammo( Umc or Wwb). Got about 500 rounds of hornady critical defense and never happened. It only happened with Federal HST. Very repeatably as well. Maybe being a little hotter causing the issue but still weird. Im putting the stock guts back in and will try again. Weird though as I cant pull the trigger hard enough to make it happen when clear and dry firing. Just thought this would be good info for people out there to be weary of.

interesting, i was getting very close to ordering my apex kit for my shield. Ill wait and see if you have the problem with stock parts

your pistol is dicked up. who installed the apex kit?

either get it to a qualified gunsmith or replace with factory parts and test it.

- - - Updated - - -

not related

I was shooting recently, and saw the same thing happen to the guy next to me. Stock MA trigger on a 9mm, so I'm not sure it's an apex thing.....shooter was very inexperienced. He asked if I could help and I fixed it, as he had no idea what to do. It happened again to him while we were shooting. I couldn't make it happen when I shot it.

I was shooting my 45 shield and told him to shoot it and see if he could repeat it with that but he couldn't.

Last edited:
Im assuming the trigger breaks very late and you're pulling almost to the trigger stop? Open the Shepard's hook a bit so the trigger breaks sooner. It's a common issue with apex kits in shields as the tolerances are loose and vary from gun to gun

I can 2nd this although my issue was a little different. I had the gun not fire until the trigger was all the way back and this was the remedy. Easy fix, I opened the hook a little fired it and decided to open it a little more. Haven't had an issue since.

Back
Top Bottom