• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sheriffs' in MA "DO" have the power

MA Sheriffs may indeed have been tasked with primarily corrections and civil process however, Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs in MA have the same privileges as any Police Officer. The County Sheriff in MA has just as much power as any of these Sheriffs that have gone on air to protect the 2A. In MGL Sheriffs are the top LEO in thier prospective counties.

Massachusetts Constitution:

Article IX. All judicial officers, [the attorney-general,] the solicitor-general, [all sheriffs,] coroners, [and registers of probate,] shall be nominated and appointed by the governor, by and with the advice and consent of the council; and every such nomination shall be made by the governor, and made at least seven days prior to such appointment. [See Amendments, Arts. XVII, [See Amendments, Art. XLVIII, The Initiative, II, sec. 2.], The Referendum, III, sec. 2, and LXIV.] [For provision as to election of sheriffs, registers of probate, etc., see Amendments, Art. XIX.] [For provision as to the appointment of notaries public, see Amendments, Arts. IV, LVII and LXIX, sec. 2.]

Chapter 37:

Section 1. A sheriff shall be elected in each county, as provided in section one hundred and fifty-nine of chapter fifty-four, for six years, beginning with the first Wednesday of January following his election, and until his successor is qualified.

Section 4. He shall appoint a special sheriff, who shall be sworn and shall give such bond to the sheriff as he may require for the faithful discharge of his duties. A special sheriff shall have the authority of a deputy sheriff. Upon his qualification, the sheriff shall send a written notice thereof, giving the name and residence of the appointee, to the state secretary, who shall record such notice in a book kept for the purpose.

Section 3. A sheriff may appoint deputies, who shall be sworn before performing any official act.

Section 11. Sheriffs and their deputies shall serve and execute, within their counties, all precepts lawfully issued to them and all other process required by law to be served by an officer. They may serve process in cases wherein a county, city, town, parish, religious society or fire or other district is a party or interested, although they are inhabitants or members thereof.

Section 13. They may require suitable aid in the execution of their office in a criminal case, in the preservation of the peace, in the apprehending or securing of a person for a breach of the peace and in cases of escape or rescue of persons arrested upon civil process.

Chapter 220:

Section 7. Sheriffs, deputy sheriffs, constables and other officers shall serve all lawful processes issued by a court, judge, judicial officer or county commissioners legally directed to them.

Chapter 262
Section 8. The fees of sheriffs, deputy sheriffs and constables shall be as follows:

(b) for the service of criminal process:

Heres an interesting law under MGL Chapter 33 "Militia's":

Section 41. In case of a tumult, riot, mob or body of persons acting together by force to violate or resist the laws of the commonwealth, or when such tumult, riot or mob is threatened, or in case of public catastrophe or natural disaster, and the usual police provisions are inadequate to preserve order and afford protection to persons and property, and the fact appears to the commander-in-chief, to the sheriff of a county, to the mayor or city manager of a city or to the selectmen of a town, the commander-in-chief, upon his initiative or at the request of such sheriff, mayor or city manager or selectmen, may issue his order directed to the commander of any organization or unit of the armed forces of the commonwealth directing him to order his command, or any part thereof, to appear at a time and place therein specified to aid the civil authority in suppressing such violations, preserving order, affording such protection and supporting the laws.

I could go on and on about MGL and Sheriffs.....

So I don't want to hear the same old bull about Sheriffs and Deputies in MA only being C.O's or Jailers ect, these are complete lies. The Sheriff's in MA are constitutionally elected. If you still don't believe me check out cases such as COMMONWEALTH v. Ralph BAEZ. COMMONWEALTH v. BAEZ, No. 95-P-527., May 05, 1997 - MA Court of Appeals | FindLaw which further designates Deputies and Sheriffs as LEO.

So I don't want to hear the same old bull about Sheriffs and Deputies in MA only being C.O's or Jailers ect, these are complete lies. The Sheriff's in MA are constitutionally elected. If you still don't believe me check out cases such as COMMONWEALTH v. Ralph BAEZ. COMMONWEALTH v. BAEZ, No. 95-P-527., May 05, 1997 - MA Court of Appeals | FindLaw which further designates Deputies and Sheriffs as LEO.

I don't think anyone disputes that they "have" the power, the dispute is do they use it? I would be interested to see something in that regard. It seems they have decided not to use it.

Do we think that they would put their balls on the table and defend the constitution as we've seen other Sheriff Departments do anyway?

Down here in Barnstable County our Sheriffs' Office does most all 911.....So whats your point.
My point is that they'll call the local pd or the state police...no sheriff will be responding. Let it go will ya...you're tilting at windmills. The Sheriff's depts are corrections officers in MA...nothing to be ashamed of..I think it is an honorable and needed job....but they're not cops (in MA) nor am I aware that they are trained as police officers (do they attend an acedemy?). BTW I have friends that are police officers AND I have one friend that works for Suffolk Co SD and one that works for Middlesex Co SD....both are secure in their roles at the respective HOCs..neither have ever claimed that they were LEOs.....they refer to themselves as CO's

Last edited:
Bullshit, you think I don't know I live in Middlefolk county pal?

[laugh]

LOL they should pay attention next time they drive and see the Sign "Entering X County"

My point is we have the rights we just need to use them.

They're too busy texting to notice any signs anyway.

My point is that they'll call the local pd or the state police...no sheriff will be responding. Let it go will ya...you're tilting at windmills. The Sheriff's depts are corrections officers in MA...nothing to be ashamed of..I think it is an honorable and needed job....but they're not cops (in MA) nor are they trained as police officers.

And it's officially an e-fight. [smile]

MA Sheriffs may indeed have been tasked with primarily corrections and civil process however, Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs in MA have the same privileges as any Police Officer. The County Sheriff in MA has just as much power as any of these Sheriffs that have gone on air to protect the 2A. In MGL Sheriffs are the top LEO in thier prospective counties.

Massachusetts Constitution:

Article IX. All judicial officers, [the attorney-general,] the solicitor-general, [all sheriffs,] coroners, [and registers of probate,] shall be nominated and appointed by the governor, by and with the advice and consent of the council; and every such nomination shall be made by the governor, and made at least seven days prior to such appointment. [See Amendments, Arts. XVII, [See Amendments, Art. XLVIII, The Initiative, II, sec. 2.], The Referendum, III, sec. 2, and LXIV.] [For provision as to election of sheriffs, registers of probate, etc., see Amendments, Art. XIX.] [For provision as to the appointment of notaries public, see Amendments, Arts. IV, LVII and LXIX, sec. 2.]

Chapter 37:

Section 1. A sheriff shall be elected in each county, as provided in section one hundred and fifty-nine of chapter fifty-four, for six years, beginning with the first Wednesday of January following his election, and until his successor is qualified.

Section 4. He shall appoint a special sheriff, who shall be sworn and shall give such bond to the sheriff as he may require for the faithful discharge of his duties. A special sheriff shall have the authority of a deputy sheriff. Upon his qualification, the sheriff shall send a written notice thereof, giving the name and residence of the appointee, to the state secretary, who shall record such notice in a book kept for the purpose.

Section 3. A sheriff may appoint deputies, who shall be sworn before performing any official act.

Section 11. Sheriffs and their deputies shall serve and execute, within their counties, all precepts lawfully issued to them and all other process required by law to be served by an officer. They may serve process in cases wherein a county, city, town, parish, religious society or fire or other district is a party or interested, although they are inhabitants or members thereof.

Section 13. They may require suitable aid in the execution of their office in a criminal case, in the preservation of the peace, in the apprehending or securing of a person for a breach of the peace and in cases of escape or rescue of persons arrested upon civil process.

Chapter 220:

Section 7. Sheriffs, deputy sheriffs, constables and other officers shall serve all lawful processes issued by a court, judge, judicial officer or county commissioners legally directed to them.

Chapter 262
Section 8. The fees of sheriffs, deputy sheriffs and constables shall be as follows:

(b) for the service of criminal process:

Heres an interesting law under MGL Chapter 33 "Militia's":

Section 41. In case of a tumult, riot, mob or body of persons acting together by force to violate or resist the laws of the commonwealth, or when such tumult, riot or mob is threatened, or in case of public catastrophe or natural disaster, and the usual police provisions are inadequate to preserve order and afford protection to persons and property, and the fact appears to the commander-in-chief, to the sheriff of a county, to the mayor or city manager of a city or to the selectmen of a town, the commander-in-chief, upon his initiative or at the request of such sheriff, mayor or city manager or selectmen, may issue his order directed to the commander of any organization or unit of the armed forces of the commonwealth directing him to order his command, or any part thereof, to appear at a time and place therein specified to aid the civil authority in suppressing such violations, preserving order, affording such protection and supporting the laws.

I could go on and on about MGL and Sheriffs.....

So the point of this post is what? Pissing on the Massachusetts law enforcement tree to mark your territory?

The issue many police officers have with deputies performing police powers is that they often want the glory but want the local police to clean up the mess--for example, showing up to a downtown area fight at last call, jumping into the mix, and then taking off before anyone knows what happens.

I can't recall the number of times I've been called to a location where a deputy has stopped a suspected drunk driver and calls the local PD to dump the investigation off on us. This becomes problematic because now I have to base my own arrest and investigation off of observations that are not my own and hope the deputy shows up to court.

And why does the deputy have to call a local PD or MSP? Because they don't have statutory arrest powers for motor vehicle misdemeanors under MGL c. 90, s. 21.

I don't get upset when deputies exercise police powers--not in the least. Indeed, back me up on a shady car stop and I'll be forever grateful. But there's something to be said for those with star-shaped badges who stir the pot and expect those with primary jurisdiction the clean it all up.

Last edited:
So the point of this post is what? Pissing on the Massachusetts law enforcement tree to mark your territory?

The issue many police officers have with deputies performing police powers is that they often want the glory but want the local police to clean up the mess--for example, showing up to a downtown area fight at last call, jumping into the mix, and then taking off before anyone knows what happens.

I can't recall the number of times I've been called to a location where a deputy has stopped a suspected drunk driver and calls the local PD to dump the investigation off on us. This becomes problematic because now I have to base my own arrest and investigation off of observations that are not my own and hope the deputy shows up to court.

And why does the deputy have to call a local PD or MSP? Because they don't have statutory arrest powers for motor vehicle misdemeanors under MGL c. 90, s. 21.

I don't get upset when deputies exercise police powers--not in the least. Indeed, back me up on a shady car stop and I'll be forever grateful. But there's something to be said for those with star-shaped badges who stir the pot and expect those with primary jurisdiction the clean it all up.

My point is not to stomp on Town and State LEO. My point is that Sheriffs have the power to say no to unlawful gun control. The reason the dupties call local PD is because Most MA police chiefs ( but not all) do not like the idea of County Sheriffs enforcing law on thier jursdiction,This goes back to the current system of no unincorporated towns in MA.

I have met a couple of people who are "deputies" because the Sheriff gave them a badge or they made a contribution toward his election. One guy owned a candy store and the other guy was a real estate attorney. After a couple of questions I figured out they were posers....this makes anyone with a sheriff dept badge suspect to me. I never met a state trooper or a town police officer that was 'knighted' like those guys were. I have found that the guys that pass themselves off as LEOs (while waving a badge around) are usually the phonies. A couple of years ago there was a whole topic regarding a group of guys going to Worcester Co Sheriff and paying their dues and getting 'sworn in' and issued deputy badges. A couple were bragging about going to gun stores and flashing the badge and getting LEO discounts and even LEO restricted firearms and magazines (that us common folk can't have)....so, yeah I have a dim view of sheriff's deputies as LEO's.(in this state anyway)

Only a full deputy would qualify for LEOSA. If you do some looking around you will find that most of the county cage kickers badges sayes Corrections Officer, Not Deputy Sheriff. Also a Deputy Sheriff Process server (Restricted to civil process) does not meet the standards of LEOSA.

Thats interesting; I never knew that.

Knowledge of one is knowledge of all.

The system needs to tweaked so its beneficial for everyone, that's for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Only a full deputy would qualify for LEOSA. If you do some looking around you will find that most of the county cage kickers badges sayes Corrections Officer, Not Deputy Sheriff. Also a Deputy Sheriff Process server (Restricted to civil process) does not meet the standards of LEOSA.

Sworn Deputy Sheriff satisfy LEOSA, pending that they are authorized and qualified to carry a firearm.

My point is that they'll call the local pd or the state police...no sheriff will be responding. Let it go will ya...you're tilting at windmills. The Sheriff's depts are corrections officers in MA...nothing to be ashamed of..I think it is an honorable and needed job....but they're not cops (in MA) nor am I aware that they are trained as police officers (do they attend an acedemy?). BTW I have friends that are police officers AND I have one friend that works for Suffolk Co SD and one that works for Middlesex Co SD....both are secure in their roles at the respective HOCs..neither have ever claimed that they were LEOs.....they refer to themselves as CO's

A sworn Deputy sheriff has been through at least a Reserve/Intermittent Police academy.

No law stating they have to. Some counties have requirements but nothing stutory I am aware of.

There is a CMR on it. Everyone who exercises police powers must attend.

[video]http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/source/mass/cmr/cmrtext/550CMR3.pdf[/video]

[video]http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/source/mass/cmr/cmrtext/550CMR3.pdf[/video]

Unless I missed it the CMR doesn't even mention the word deputy sheriff anywhere.

EDIT. Either way the original argument that the Sheriff saying he is not going to enforce law in the commonwealth is not an issue as most towns have a police department. I would rather see a police chief chime in and state the law is stupid and he won't enforce it.

I'm not even remotely an expert in this area, but all those definitions seem to refer to people who exercise police powers "in the police department of any city or town". Deputy sheriff's don't fit that definition. Also, since counties are not municipalities, could county LEO training be compelled to fall under the purview of the Municipal Police Training Committee?

Last edited:
I'm not even remotely an expert in this area, but all those definitions seem to refer to people who exercise police powers "in the police department of any city or town". Deputy sheriff's don't fit that definition.

In order for them to be doing "details" out in the the public and or executing police powers while in performance of duty than they have to attend an academy. I believe there might be something as far as guarding prisoners in an out of jail setting (ie hospital).

I am not expert, either...

- - - Updated - - -

Unless I missed it the CMR doesn't even mention the word deputy sheriff anywhere.

EDIT. Either way the original argument that the Sheriff saying he is not going to enforce law in the commonwealth is not an issue as most towns have a police department. I would rather see a police chief chime in and state the law is stupid and he won't enforce it.

I agree.

You'll notice that you really don't see police chiefs anywhere chiming in, only sheriffs. This isn't really because sheriffs are a big deal and chiefs are small potatoes outside of MA. Police chiefs are appointed and answer to the mayor/city manager/city council. They can be fired by same. Sheriffs are elected, and essentially answer only to the people. They really can't be fired no matter what they say.

I have met a couple of people who are "deputies" because the Sheriff gave them a badge or they made a contribution toward his election. One guy owned a candy store and the other guy was a real estate attorney. After a couple of questions I figured out they were posers....this makes anyone with a sheriff dept badge suspect to me. I never met a state trooper or a town police officer that was 'knighted' like those guys were. I have found that the guys that pass themselves off as LEOs (while waving a badge around) are usually the phonies. A couple of years ago there was a whole topic regarding a group of guys going to Worcester Co Sheriff and paying their dues and getting 'sworn in' and issued deputy badges. A couple were bragging about going to gun stores and flashing the badge and getting LEO discounts and even LEO restricted firearms and magazines (that us common folk can't have)....so, yeah I have a dim view of sheriff's deputies as LEO's.(in this state anyway)

A Worcester County Reserve Deputy only has the authority of his/her office when he/she is activated as such by the sheriff and enjoys no special status as a law enforcement officer. Anyone who abuses the privilege of a reserve commission as a Worcester County Deputy Sheriff should be reported to the Worcester County Sheriff or the Special Sheriff (second-in-command). This is not the image that the Worcester County Sheriff's Office wishes to project or the Worcester County Deputy Sheriff's Assn which is essentially a charitable and public service organization.

You paint with a broad brush. Barnstable County is different from most. They support local Police Departments with K9, BCI, and have a Sheriff that was one of the top Criminal investigators in the state when working for MSP.

They respond where needed, work traffic details, assist in accident investigation, They do NOT enforce Ch90 laws as it is not a statutory duty of a Sheriff.

Back
Top Bottom