• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sheriff's department in MA: conversation starter

Back to the OP! I think how the Sheriff's department operates also allows them to have hundreds of Reserve Deputy Sheriffs that they can call upon if they want. If you've never seen this group it's a huge group of mostly untrained people who basically donate money to be "involved". They get badges and ID cards, which are mocked by other LE agencies but are still recognized for LE treatment when purchasing guns and mags. Some that are in favor get moved into the motorcycle unit or other official capacity in the department. Some have done traffic duty, served papers, helped at the jails, etc'. Not to mention it's an unpaid position.

Also, if the Sheriff's department is not a viable force in the Commonwealth then why are they allowed to purchase significant LE vehicles and firepower. The former Middlesex Sheriff, before he committed suicide, had a command RV, armored personnel carriers, a sniper/swat unit, etc'. Big money for something that was never used.

Back to the OP! I think how the Sheriff's department operates also allows them to have hundreds of Reserve Deputy Sheriffs that they can call upon if they want. If you've never seen this group it's a huge group of mostly untrained people who basically donate money to be "involved". They get badges and ID cards, which are mocked by other LE agencies but are still recognized for LE treatment when purchasing guns and mags. Some that are in favor get moved into the motorcycle unit or other official capacity in the department. Some have done traffic duty, served papers, helped at the jails, etc'. Not to mention it's an unpaid position.

Also, if the Sheriff's department is not a viable force in the Commonwealth then why are they allowed to purchase significant LE vehicles and firepower. The former Middlesex Sheriff, before he committed suicide, had a command RV, armored personnel carriers, a sniper/swat unit, etc'. Big money for something that was never used.

That is actually COMPLETELY false. Reserve Deputies have to complete a Reserve/Intermittent Academy sponsored by the MPTC which is far rom being untrained. Its the same exact academy that towns send their reserves to. And those jobs that you referred to are not unpaid.

You must be thinking of honorary deputies which something totally different.

That is actually COMPLETELY false. Reserve Deputies have to complete a Reserve/Intermittent Academy sponsored by the MPTC which is far rom being untrained. Its the same exact academy that towns send their reserves to. And those jobs that you referred to are not unpaid.

You must be thinking of honorary deputies which something totally different.

Nope, I'm not thinking of honorary deputies. I spent 10 years as a Reserve Deputy Sheriff for Middlesex County. No training, no nothing and participated in a couple functions that I would consider more then something a joe nobody like myself would be doing. I still know a guy who's a reserve sheriff on their Motorcycle Unit. I also know someone who's on this forum that was in the Worcester Reserves who was able to buy LE equipment at LE prices from several FFLs with his badge and Id. If you look into it more, you'll see these folks are around. You want to know more, go onto Masscop and ask over there. Holy crap will you start a shite storm about it.

Every county has different policies regarding training requirements for Deputies.

- - - Updated - - -

Except LEOSA [rolleyes]

Not true MA Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs are covered under LEOSA. Did you read nothing I posted in that earlier post about Sheriffs and M.G.L. ?

Last edited:
These threads never go anywhere. I personally don't really care enough to continue.

Bottom line to the OP, you need the local chiefs on board more than you need the Sheriffs.

Last edited:
Nope, I'm not thinking of honorary deputies. I spent 10 years as a Reserve Deputy Sheriff for Middlesex County. No training, no nothing and participated in a couple functions that I would consider more then something a joe nobody like myself would be doing. I still know a guy who's a reserve sheriff on their Motorcycle Unit. I also know someone who's on this forum that was in the Worcester Reserves who was able to buy LE equipment at LE prices from several FFLs with his badge and Id. If you look into it more, you'll see these folks are around. You want to know more, go onto Masscop and ask over there. Holy crap will you start a shite storm about it.

I believe you that happens in some cases, but I think it is up to the Sheriff, and it would seem risky for a Sheriff who wants to both minimize liability and be re-elected to authorize the powers of arrest and duty carry of firearms that qualify you for LEOSA without the normal LE training. I have only heard of Reserve Deputy Sheriffs with the full Reserve Academy training. A quick search shows that it is 315 hours of instruction. As for getting LE prices with his badge - an FFL can give discount prices to anyone they wish and I can totally believe that even an honorary badge could get you LE pricing from many FFLs.

Most cops you come across will give you a pass if you flash a badge that says "sheriff" or "police" on it without anymore questions asked. If you shoot someone then the scrutiny begins.

In that case, at least you are alive to face the jury. Don't sweat the nuances of the law. Carry on with your life and be careful.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom