• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

sheriff shot in maine

If it's just a firearm-in-the-car charge, I think the overwhelming majority of us would have been outraged that a free citizen was held by MA for such a minor 2A-infringing charge.

Short of something BIG from his background that MA may have known about, the MSP and the judge did alright. I hate saying that. But what else should you do??? Hold everyone for fear they might be a looney-bin in their own state?

Now, here's where the rubber meets the road for a LOT of NES'ers: Let's say he's got a checkered mental health picture in Maine. Should that info be available on a nationwide basis???? Should we have a law that Maine needs to provide this info so that Mass can hold him and the Deputy don't get shot???

So now how do you feel about the changes to the background check system that have been bandied around????????

We argue this like we are f'ing experts and know better than everyone else. Here is a potential case that should cause you, me, and everyone on the OTHER side of the debate to really come to terms with what we are willing to give up. Are you willing to have more info in NICS??? (Because if the info is available to LE, it'll be on NICS.) Or are you OK with some guy getting off and then maybe killing you later on? Where is that line??? I don't know. It's not a fact-based thing but a "feeling" based thing. But it's a good struggle for each of us to go through internally. Struggle produces better decision than knee-jerking.

If it's just a firearm-in-the-car charge, I think the overwhelming majority of us would have been outraged that a free citizen was held by MA for such a minor 2A-infringing charge.

Short of something BIG from his background that MA may have known about, the MSP and the judge did alright. I hate saying that. But what else should you do??? Hold everyone for fear they might be a looney-bin in their own state?

Now, here's where the rubber meets the road for a LOT of NES'ers: Let's say he's got a checkered mental health picture in Maine. Should that info be available on a nationwide basis???? Should we have a law that Maine needs to provide this info so that Mass can hold him and the Deputy don't get shot???

So now how do you feel about the changes to the background check system that have been bandied around????????

We argue this like we are f'ing experts and know better than everyone else. Here is a potential case that should cause you, me, and everyone on the OTHER side of the debate to really come to terms with what we are willing to give up. Are you willing to have more info in NICS??? (Because if the info is available to LE, it'll be on NICS.) Or are you OK with some guy getting off and then maybe killing you later on? Where is that line??? I don't know. It's not a fact-based thing but a "feeling" based thing. But it's a good struggle for each of us to go through internally. Struggle produces better decision than knee-jerking.
All good points & yes plenty of hypotheticals. Regardless, hope that SOB burns in hell. All Cop killers should burn in hell! Same if he killed a store clerk!

Last edited:
Just cop killers? If he had murdered the store clerk instead of the cop, would that have been better?

Gearing up to be another Epic thread.... In before the lock...

Dude we get it...seems like you have asked or made the same comment in several threads as of late....What's the real issue?

Last edited:
Not much to go on. He was arrested for having an unsecured loaded gun in his car. Given the feelings of folks regarding those from free states getting jammed up in NJ or NY, is that really a big deal???

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on this guy. Based on the MA stop and his non-existent criminal record, how can you ever expect to tell the BG from the GG. I have to believe something caused him to just snap. It's a Michael McDonald all over again. (That was his name, right? The guy that just went in one day and shot up his office??? That seems like forever ago.)

The articles are confusing. Nationwide hunt, but we've closed this area down b/c we believe he has no vehicle and is hiding in this specific area. Well, which is it? Should people in Oregon BOLO or not???? Did he have access to a transporter? Millennium Falcon? Anything that could explain a nationwide hunt hours after the incident?????

Not much to go on. He was arrested for having an unsecured loaded gun in his car. Given the feelings of folks regarding those from free states getting jammed up in NJ or NY, is that really a big deal???

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on this guy. Based on the MA stop and his non-existent criminal record, how can you ever expect to tell the BG from the GG. I have to believe something caused him to just snap. It's a Michael McDonald all over again. (That was his name, right? The guy that just went in one day and shot up his office??? That seems like forever ago.)

The articles are confusing. Nationwide hunt, but we've closed this area down b/c we believe he has no vehicle and is hiding in this specific area. Well, which is it? Should people in Oregon BOLO or not???? Did he have access to a transporter? Millennium Falcon? Anything that could explain a nationwide hunt hours after the incident?????
If he has the Millennium Falcon I'd say a nationwide hunt is in order hell a galaxy wide hunt is more inline. Not sure how they're going to catch him after the jump to light speed.

Those two stories have an amazing lack of information.

Ont he surface seems like a dirtbag. Previous history of theft. Immediately robbed a store after killing the sheriff.

Always interesting when they completely leave out the circumstances of why they were interacting.

Why is this sounding more and more like a douche cop that pulled the "you must respect my authority" routine and it went badly from there.....

Maine doesnt have a high murder rate but when was the last time you saw a "Manhunt" in Maine?

The disproportionate response is all about a cop getting shot and making (lawlessly) making an example of him

Not excusing what he may have done.....just pointing out the hypocracy

You'd be wrong. I knew this guy. He was a laid back, keep the peace type.

Edit: nevermind, I can't read today it seems.

Last edited:
Seems they forgot the part about some drugs and the judges were Minime appointees who reduced his bail from 10K to 7.5 then to 5.

It was his passenger who was apparently in possession of prescription drugs, not him. It’s not so relevant.

What could be relevant is that he appears to be a convicted felon.

IMHO, no firearm charges for any free man.
If you are in jail then obviously you couldn't have your weapons with you in there.
But once freed, you are a free man in my opinion and your rights are restored!

Now if our laws had teeth to them drug dealers would be put to death or incarcerated longer.

This guy killed a police officer who happens to be one of our citizens as well.

An eye for an eye.

Bring back public hangings and be done with this murderer!

PS. I also believe all drugs should be legal but that is a whole different story..

Why is this sounding more and more like a douche cop that pulled the "you must respect my authority" routine and it went badly from there.....

Maine doesnt have a high murder rate but when was the last time you saw a "Manhunt" in Maine?

The disproportionate response is all about a cop getting shot and making (lawlessly) making an example of him

Not excusing what he may have done.....just pointing out the hypocracy

Seems like your beating the same drum lately when it comes to some sort of authority issue....Another cop conspiracy.[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom