• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sheriff: No charges for man who mistakenly killed son-in-law

Yosemite Sam

NES Member
Sheriff: No charges for man who mistakenly killed son-in-law

Investigators say a Florida man won’t face charges after accidentally shooting and killing his son-in-law who had jumped out of the bushes during a surprise birthday visit.

Santa Rosa Sheriff Bob Johnson said during a news conference that the shooting happened late Tuesday at the home of 61-year-old Richard Dennis.

Johnson says 37-year-old Christopher Bergan was married to Dennis’ daughter and they had flown in from Norway to surprise him for his birthday.

Authorities say Bergan had banged on Dennis’ door and jumped out when Dennis answered, prompting Dennis to fatally shoot him.

Dennis says he thought the banging noise was from another relative he had gotten into an argument with earlier in the day.

Oops! WTF!

Sooo... this is how I see this sad set of circumstances playing out.

Reports are that the shooter had an intense argument with another relative earlier that night, and that this relative was banging on his FRONT door. One can imagine an argument where threats were made, and Mr. 380 obviously thought they might be real threats.

The shooter is probably fast asleep. It is 11:30pm on a Thursday night. Probably watched a little of the Seahawks game, had a couple brewskies, and hit the rack. Gotta go to work the next day.
He hears a pounding on the BACK door and thinks.. "That f***in cousin Cletus! That crazy sumbitch really is going to try cut my throat!"
He fumbles for his glasses, puts on his slippers and grabs his Glock 380 from his nightstand. He knows he looks like pussy in his boxers with his little 380, but he doesn't care because he knows it will work.
He reaches for the back door, thinking... " I musta left the gate open cuz there ain't no way Cletus got his fat ass over the fence." then leaving the light off, so as not to alert Cletus to his presence, he Whips open the door! What? There is no one there?
Just then, the little blonde fish eater, burst from the bushes and yells "Surprise!"
Bang! One shot. Straight through the heart and Olaf is down. As the ringing in his ears dies down he hears his daughter's voice.
At this point he probably shit his pants, became nauseous and fought the urge to pass out.

Or maybe he just didn't like the kid? On thing is for sure. Grandpa just ruined the holidays for years to come and probably won't be spending much time with the grand kids.
Oh, and that shot placement is key.

I really shouldn't make light of this tragedy. I really do feel bad for the family. But FFS.. don't pull the trigger until you know exactly what you are shooting at.

Sooo... this is how I see this sad set of circumstances playing out.

Reports are that the shooter had an intense argument with another relative earlier that night, and that this relative was banging on his FRONT door. One can imagine an argument where threats were made, and Mr. 380 obviously thought they might be real threats.

The shooter is probably fast asleep. It is 11:30pm on a Thursday night. Probably watched a little of the Seahawks game, had a couple brewskies, and hit the rack. Gotta go to work the next day.
He hears a pounding on the BACK door and thinks.. "That f***in cousin Cletus! That crazy sumbitch really is going to try cut my throat!"
He fumbles for his glasses, puts on his slippers and grabs his Glock 380 from his nightstand. He knows he looks like pussy in his boxers with his little 380, but he doesn't care because he knows it will work.
He reaches for the back door, thinking... " I musta left the gate open cuz there ain't no way Cletus got his fat ass over the fence." then leaving the light off, so as not to alert Cletus to his presence, he Whips open the door! What? There is no one there?
Just then, the little blonde fish eater, burst from the bushes and yells "Surprise!"
Bang! One shot. Straight through the heart and Olaf is down. As the ringing in his ears dies down he hears his daughter's voice.
At this point he probably shit his pants, became nauseous and fought the urge to pass out.

Or maybe he just didn't like the kid? On thing is for sure. Grandpa just ruined the holidays for years to come and probably won't be spending much time with the grand kids.
Oh, and that shot placement is key.

I really shouldn't make light of this tragedy. I really do feel bad for the family. But FFS.. don't pull the trigger until you know exactly what you are shooting at.

More likely scenario. Men get a fair shake in divorce in Norway so Dad agreed to help cupcake out. Now cupcake gets it all.

Back
Top Bottom