Sheriff Joe requires all deputies to carry ARs 24-7

If an off duty cop feels like he's in danger he should do whatever he deems appropriate to protect himself. Ordering them to take a rifle to the supermarket is overstepping.

I'd agree with you that this is a positive for all of us if it wasn't cops involved, but it is. How would they feel about all citizens walking around carrying rifles?

Agreed, dictating what a cop does with his firearms off duty is excessive

Does he mean they will have rifles in their cars, or that they will be carrying them around like they're patrolling the streets of Fallujah?

The latter would be WAAAAAAY past the line for me. The day I see cops patrolling the streets with ARs in their hand is the day I grab mine.

Have a neighbor take video so we can remember what tools are.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Interesting, the way I read the two italicized paragraphs are that the cops will only have to carry a handgun 24x7 and have the AR while on duty. Not sure if I am missing anything though (specifically about carrying an AR 24x7).

"My deputies will carry guns 24 hours a day, even off duty. If they see any incident occurring, they will take action anywhere in this valley," he said.

Arpaio says the 400 new Smith & Wesson rifles were purchased using money obtained from arrests. The 81-year-old self-described "America's toughest sheriff" is no stranger to controversy, stemming primarily from his strict enforcement of the state's immigration laws.

Local affiliate ABC15 reports that the deputies will be required to carry only a handgun at all times, meaning they will have to employ the AR-15 style rifles only while on duty.

There are dangerous drug cartels around the world precisely because of the types of policies Sheriff Joe and others like him enforce in order to 'win' the War on Drugs. Stop the prohibition, stop the cartels.

+1.

Nobody loves the drug war more than the people enforcing it. Jobs, money, takings, weapons, more money, power -- it has it all. It's the ultimate expression of a bloated and meddlesome state: a never-ending effort with unlimited cost that accomplishes nothing but to deliver power and money to those in control; supported by fear, moral vanity, and idiocy it appeals to the masses all while subjugating them to the man. Collectivist perfection.

Last edited:
Interesting, the way I read the two italicized paragraphs are that the cops will only have to carry a handgun 24x7 and have the AR while on duty. Not sure if I am missing anything though (specifically about carrying an AR 24x7).

"My deputies will carry guns 24 hours a day, even off duty. If they see any incident occurring, they will take action anywhere in this valley," he said.

Arpaio says the 400 new Smith & Wesson rifles were purchased using money obtained from arrests. The 81-year-old self-described "America's toughest sheriff" is no stranger to controversy, stemming primarily from his strict enforcement of the state's immigration laws.

Local affiliate ABC15 reports that the deputies will be required to carry only a handgun at all times, meaning they will have to employ the AR-15 style rifles only while on duty.

That's how I read it as well, that the deputies are being required to carry handguns at all times off duty. Such a policy isn't even remotely uncommon across the country for police departments and sheriff's offices.

Yup, I'm with ochmude's version of reading this. Growing up out there. (well... Santa Cruz County.) We never went ANYWHERE without at least a pistol. And if it was for a walk, you took a rifle. It's flat out part of our culture. (those of us that were raised there, not the cali imports, or those weirdo's in Amado.

Hey! Don't talk about trained professionals that way, these guys know better than we do.

backwards-close-500x375.jpg

The other thing I noticed with that pic, It's seems pretty warm out and the lad is sweating like crazy.
Whats with the thick gloves?
Even if the sight was on the right way, you wouldn't have jack for a feel of the trigger.
Of course if spray and pray is the plan , doesn't much matter.
Maybe the other tacticool kids would make fun if he wasn't accessorized properly.

16 hours of overtime per day? Score! I mean, if you're expected to respond to any crime you come across in your travels it is by definition a patrol shift, right? ;)

Economist... If you don't mind, I'm going to start copying and pasting your posts to other forums and places like facebook. Frequently, you lay out in a paragraph what would take me a page... Do I have your permission, and how would you like me to credit you?

Economist... If you don't mind, I'm going to start copying and pasting your posts to other forums and places like facebook. Frequently, you lay out in a paragraph what would take me a page... Do I have your permission, and how would you like me to credit you?

Nice of you to say that. Do anything you want. I don't want any credit -- actually prefer no credit at all. Just take anything you like and run with it -- make it better, fix the parts I screw up, make it fit your point of view, etc.

+1.

Nobody loves the ___________ war more than the people enforcing it. Jobs, money, takings, weapons, more money, power -- it has it all. It's the ultimate expression of a bloated and meddlesome state: a never-ending effort with unlimited cost that accomplishes nothing but to deliver power and money to those in control; supported by fear, moral vanity, and idiocy it appeals to the masses all while subjugating them to the man. Collectivist perfection.

I fixed it for you.

The other thing I noticed with that pic, It's seems pretty warm out and the lad is sweating like crazy.
Whats with the thick gloves?
Even if the sight was on the right way, you wouldn't have jack for a feel of the trigger.
Of course if spray and pray is the plan , doesn't much matter.
Maybe the other tacticool kids would make fun if he wasn't accessorized properly.

It's probably kevlar-lined gloves or some such, just in case they have to fix bayonets and charge the suspects once they've expended all their ammo. [rofl]

Personally, I was always fond of nomex flight gloves with the trigger finger tip cut off for use in the field because they were heat resistant and didn't interfere with manual dexterity too much while still protecting your hands from whatever...

Back
Top Bottom