Sheered off my Dan Wesson scope base screws today

I'm a decent shot offhand too without a scope but holding a 4-5 pound revolver (with scope etc) gets old/tiring fast [laugh]
And no way in hell I could keep that hand cannon steady enough to hit my 8" steel plate at 120 yards.

There's a lot of DW collectors who frown upon drilling the shrouds but this is a brand new shroud (not an old 70s-80s Monson, MA made shroud) and I'm not a collector is what I tell them. My guns get shot A LOT as you can see [laugh]

Gotcha, and good for you- I'm not much of a collector either and actually shoot a documented '03 National Match in competition. I do have a Monson DW 44, it's a thing of beauty and NFW will it ever be altered. I do shoot it a lot. It's identical to one my Dad always carried for griz repellant when hunting and fishing in Alaska. My brother and I split the collection when Dad passed and when his turn he picked the 44- thus the reason for me to look for its twin.

You can consistently hit plates up to 200 yards with that hand cannon and don't need a scope- but you'll have to use the laying on your back position and use your leg to stabilize the hold. Don't wear shorts. [laugh]

Gotcha, and good for you- I'm not much of a collector either and actually shoot a documented '03 National Match in competition. I do have a Monson DW 44, it's a thing of beauty and NFW will it ever be altered. I do shoot it a lot. It's identical to one my Dad always carried for griz repellant when hunting and fishing in Alaska. My brother and I split the collection when Dad passed and when his turn he picked the 44- thus the reason for me to look for its twin.

You can consistently hit plates up to 200 yards with that hand cannon and don't need a scope- but you'll have to use the laying on your back position and use your leg to stabilize the hold. Don't wear shorts. [laugh]
That's awesome! What barrel length is your DW 44?
Assuming DW reopens, you should buy a new 44 shroud and slap on a scope! That way you don't have to alter to original barrel shroud. Of course it's not cheap [laugh]

Yeah I've seen videos of the IMSHA (or whatever its called) matches with the guys shooting while laying down on their back with the gun resting on their leg etc. Maybe I need a smaller front sight as I can't see my 8" steel plate with the factory front sight. Or maybe adjust to a 6 o clock hold to I can see the target?

I'm a better shot with my DW 357 as it's much lighter. And I don't flinch as much [rofl]

That's awesome! What barrel length is your DW 44?
Assuming DW reopens, you should buy a new 44 shroud and slap on a scope! That way you don't have to alter to original barrel shroud. Of course it's not cheap [laugh]

Yeah I've seen videos of the IMSHA (or whatever its called) matches with the guys shooting while laying down on their back with the gun resting on their leg etc. Maybe I need a smaller front sight as I can't see my 8" steel plate with the factory front sight. Or maybe adjust to a 6 o clock hold to I can see the target?

I'm a better shot with my DW 357 as it's much lighter. And I don't flinch as much [rofl]

It's a 6" with the zebra wood grips. Has that deep mirror bluing that they did in the Monson days. I should not make fun of scoped / optic pistols- I have a couple.

LLFgLEll.jpg
Sll8tuLl.jpg

Custom XP100 7mm BR, shoots 3/8" groups at 100 yds; and a fixed mag 300 BLK, shoots 3/8" groups at 10 yards [laugh] . Fun but not beautiful like the DW's.

It's a 6" with the zebra wood grips. Has that deep mirror bluing that they did in the Monson days. I should not make fun of scoped / optic pistols- I have a couple.

LLFgLEll.jpg
Sll8tuLl.jpg

Custom XP100 7mm BR, shoots 3/8" groups at 100 yds; and a fixed mag 300 BLK, shoots 3/8" groups at 10 yards [laugh] . Fun but not beautiful like the DW's.
Damn! I got to get me one of those XP100's! That's awesome

This is making me want to get an HV 8 or 10 inch barrel for my 744... and my 715... Dang.
Dude you need to!! Well once DW reopens anyway. Email Shawn or Bob. Shawn@cz-usa, [email protected].

Or if you don't want any work done to the shrouds, they have the 10" stainless 44 mag barrel assembly in stock on the online store. I was told CZ is shipping items right now.

Dude you need to!! Well once DW reopens anyway. Email Shawn or Bob. Shawn@cz-usa, [email protected].

Or if you don't want any work done to the shrouds, they have the 10" stainless 44 mag barrel assembly in stock on the online store. I was told CZ is shipping items right now.
I'd just get the plain shroud then, if I wanted any venting or anything I'd warm up the Bridgeport.

like others said, heat, center punch and try a left handed drill bit, might back right out

if not find a qualified smith or machinist, its pretty basic with the proper set up

like others said, heat, center punch and try a left handed drill bit, might back right out

if not find a qualified smith or machinist, its pretty basic with the proper set up
Center punch could set the threads so they are tighter. If you are going to DIY drill as small pilot hole for the left twist drill to grab onto for the backout.

the screw portion in the gun should be "loose" you didnt cross thread them and break the head or jam then into the bottom of the hole, you sheared then heads off,
your baby will be fine after some minor surgery, but if not skilled you could really f-it up!! :)

be slow, methodical and have patience....

No Dremel tools, awls or other hacks if you had any form of thread locker in there.
the kryptonite of thread locker is heat. Heat up a soldering iron, and apply it directly to the screw for a while. when it is pretty hot, the screw can turn again

Torque wrench and loctite arrived today.
Last week I cleaned the screws, shroud and scope base with gun scrubber then acetone and let them dry for days. They should be squeaky clean and dry.

I added some loctite under the base and on top of the shroud and on the screws. Torqued to 20 inch pounds. Handy little tool.
Then I’ll let it cure for a couple days before I bring it back to the range.
9E7A6EA0-7668-4071-9C1A-61200BF1896C.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom