Sharks Temporarily Cause Closure Of Cape Cod Beaches

Bob P

NES Member
Rating - 96.8%
30   1   0
I think the extreme overfishing of these areas contribute more to the low fish stocks than the seals.
I don't disagree that they're over fished. Add a stressor like the seals to an already burdened system and boom it's gone.

Here's the thing about ecology. There are too many people. You can piss and moan about saving this and that but until you're prepared to do something radical about population shits gonna die as we need more and more room to live on and grow food. If it's me or a seal, well it's been nice Andre but you're hosed.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Here's the thing about ecology. There are too many people. You can piss and moan about saving this and that but until you're prepared to do something radical about population shits gonna die as we need more and more room to live on and grow food. If it's me or a seal, well it's been nice Andre but you're hosed.
This^

The hippies and tree huggers have been complaining about overpopulation since the 60's, when it was only 3.5 billion people.
Now it's double that, so the problem hasn't gone away, but nobody is doing much about it.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
This^

The hippies and tree huggers have been complaining about overpopulation since the 60's, when it was only 3.5 billion people.
Now it's double that, so the problem hasn't gone away, but nobody is doing much about it.
The population growth heat map explains the US foreign policy then: we need to kill more brown people:

Last edited by a moderator:

chris_1001

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
This old guy is driving down the street,and he hears a noise coming from his car.So he pulls over at this gas station,and the mechanic tells him it will be about an hour. So the old guy goes across the street to an ice cream shop, and gets an ice cream.An hour goes by,and the old man goes back to the gas station.So the mechanic looks at the old man,and tell him sir you blew a seal.The old man replies to the mechanic,no that's just ice cream on my face.

seal goes into a bar, the Bartender says "What'll it be?". The seal replies "Anything but Canadian Club!".

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Didn't see any sharks today. We spent the afternoon at White Crest Beach in Wellfleet - saw a bunch of seals and the surfers were having a good day, but no hungry sharks.

We'll look again tomorrow.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last year, we were at Marconi. Saw a Coast Guard plane, one of the big ones, go by, then circle back. Then we see the lifeguard paddle out and a Coast Guard boat comes in to meet her. They leave (hubba hubba?), then come back, and there is, I kid you not, a fishing boat, and a rubber inflatable zodiac boat both coming. All 3 meet. Then the Coast Guard boat brings the lifeguard girl back in closer and drops her off. I swear I felt like I was in the set of Jaws. Next day, you know what was in the news.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Coast Guard beach had a notice up today that sharks had been sighted recently. There were dozens of seals hanging out near one of the sandbars, so it's not surprise. But I didn't see any sharks.

Not are Marconi yesterday either. There were a fair number of seals and lots of surfers, but no sharks.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have the sharktivity app and it shows shark reports in real time along with beach closures. Usually 3-4 a day on the Cape.

brain_8972

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just dawned on me that up until maybe 10 years ago, there was no permit required for saltwater fishing. I wonder if anyone has investigated if that has played any part in increasing the number of fish closer to shore. I remember 15-20 years ago there were always shit loads of seals at Nauset (outer beach). Wouldnt surprise me if they moved north to find (now more plentiful) fish.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Whatever happened to this program?
Barnstable County To Offer Bounty On Seals | CapeCodToday.com
From the article...
A fatal, nationally-broadcast shark attack (or even a well-shot YouTube video of one) would be a disaster for us. The sharks seem to be entirely focused on the Outer Cape, meaning that a tourist would be much, much safer spending their vacation dollars in the Hamptons or in Maine. We'd also experience a mass sell-off of properties owned by wealthier residents who can afford having Option B on the menu... rather than being Option B on the menu

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Whatever happened to this program?
Barnstable County To Offer Bounty On Seals | CapeCodToday.com
From the article...
A fatal, nationally-broadcast shark attack (or even a well-shot YouTube video of one) would be a disaster for us. The sharks seem to be entirely focused on the Outer Cape, meaning that a tourist would be much, much safer spending their vacation dollars in the Hamptons or in Maine. We'd also experience a mass sell-off of properties owned by wealthier residents who can afford having Option B on the menu... rather than being Option B on the menu
Damn it, i just reread the article and it was an april fools joke but what they say is the truth.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Hoping to see GW's in the Canal when on our anniversary trip Columbus Day Weekend. Saw them last year patroling for schoolies and seals. (Usually we see seals. Gonna bring binoculars on our walks this time.)

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dorian is heading this way.

Hurricanes often calve off tornadoes.

Sharks are plentiful on the cape now....so....

Top Bottom