Shark attack seal P-Town only a few feet from shore

Climbnsink

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were carrying would you be justified popping the shark to save the seal? <- Not serious just figured I'd ask as a joke before someone asked for real.

daveyburt

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Did we kill seals in the past to control the population?

I spent lot's of time in seashore water many years ago.

daveyburt

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
No, we killed seals in the past for other reasons.
Now they just shit and pee all over the beach and attract sharks.
They've been around Monomoy for quite a while but, the increase in number of seals up the coast seems pretty startling.
...and it's been a number of years since I've been around that area.

We used to go out Heminway ramp to the Inlet on standup jet ski's (15 years ago). ALWAYS tons of nice curly waves to jump and, nobody ever around.
-till they outlawed that cuz 'jet-ski'. <i digress>
But, seal heads would pop up every now and then. I've never seen huge pods haul up they way they do now.

Either we open a Seal Taco truck, or just never go in the water again.
;)

Manomet

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Did we kill seals in the past to control the population?
There was a bounty on seals until they passed the Marine mammals protection act.
"MMPA was signed into law on October 21, 1972, by President Richard Nixon and took effect 60 days later on December 21, 1972. It prohibits the "taking" of marine mammals, and enacts a moratorium on the import, export, and sale of any marine mammal, along with any marine mammal part or product within the United States."
The seals ruin fishing and were a direct competitor to the local fleet, around Plymouth it was a nose or a pair of ears for proof.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
yeah, sealed the deal for me to hate the ocean forever. never was much fond of it before the film.

see what i did there...SEALED the deal...a pun that was meant to be.
I don't think much about some freak in a hockey mask, or skin mask, or even with blades on their fingers, but I think about what I can't see every single time I get in the water still to this day.

Mtn_Guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
See something, say something... Would have loved to see some bystander intervention on that one. I mean, the shark was distracted - those two guys could have easily grabbed it by its tail fin and dragged it onto to the beach and beat the crap out of the shark and would have been proclaimed as local heroes. Opportunity missed. 🤣

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Buddy of mine in SC sent this to me yesterday. HE was amazed at it. LOL

We saw no seals or sharks in the Canal this year Columbus Day weekend. Usually you see at least one of one of them. Nada. I wonder if it was just that much warmer than normal this year and the seals (and hence the sharks) are still in their summer haunts.

See something, say something... Would have loved to see some bystander intervention on that one. I mean, the shark was distracted - those two guys could have easily grabbed it by its tail fin and dragged it onto to the beach and beat the crap out of the shark and would have been proclaimed as local heroes. Opportunity missed. 🤣
Fight the shark patriarchy. White shark privilege! #BSLM!

Top Bottom