Sharing steel at a busy range.... Rant!

He preyed on the fact that you don't like confrontations, most people don't.... either be an ******* back or tuck your tail and go home.

This is why I always try to find a range with shit facilities that no one uses. You can have all your ponds, lanes, meetings and dinners. Ill take a private range I can do whatever I want on.

Lol

This is why I go to haunted ranges like Bob's Tactical

I wouldn't have left. I would have set up some paper and made so many trips down range to check my target the other guy would have had a heart attack. I would have gone to check after each round.....lol

Some of the newer members(and the club has been growing pretty fast) are a bit dim on the range rules. I've seen some safety violations(newbie not obvious ones) and usually a polite, "hey, that's against the rules because x". Never had an issue. If you have repeated issues, email the club president, and he usually puts out a notice.

Maybe I'm just lucky. I've been a HSC member since the late '70s. I've seen a few safety violations but have never had a bad experience with another shooter there. Maybe it helps to be holding a loaded machine gun. Jack.

There are a few rules in life that I was taught a long time ago.

The loaded truck always has the right of way on the job and at the pit.
Beware of the law on physics and don't eff with anything bigger than you are
ALWAYS give way the guy holding a full auto.[smile]

The guy was a dick. Never confront someone at a range. Grab his plate number and let the board know to let them handle it.

having never been to the "back 40" range, what kind of steel plates we talking about? similar to the 6 plate setup thats on the 25 yard side of the range, on the other side of the wall from the 7 yd range?

Anyway that's my rant. What would you have done? What are the general rules/ courtesy for busy rack ranges? Take turns or bully other people from shooting...

I don't think the guy had any obligation to "share" per se, but I bet if he didn't act like a dick about it "Hey I'll be done in about 30 minutes, then it's all yours" then you probably wouldn't have posted this thread.

-Mike

Man you guys got steel racks at your disposal.....nice. I could only imagine the cluster **** and constant theft at my local club.
Heck my club can't seem to make up its mind on bringing your own steel....was good , then banned good again, then no spinners on the ground, then banned.....now back again...yikes

Just a thought, did you try the sub-gun range? That hidden gem was discovered by me about a month ago.
Not paying attention during orientation, eh? [laugh2]

having never been to the "back 40" range, what kind of steel plates we talking about? similar to the 6 plate setup thats on the 25 yard side of the range, on the other side of the wall from the 7 yd range?
Yup, exactly the same.
If that's the case (I've never been to the back 40 either), then I'd say the plates are a one-shooter ordeal. At the sub-gun range there are plenty of silhouettes for people to share but a rack with falling plates is a bit harder to share.

My range has touched on this exact topic. We have "incident reports" that we encourage people to fill out if someone is being unsafe, rude or just a complete asshat. The club recognizes that everyone pays the same to be a part of it and does not deserve to be treated like garbage by some douche bag. This is why ive tried to make it a point to attend the club meetings.

One of many reasons I HATE shooting with strangers and try to avoid it at all costs. Probably more to do with not liking people in general, but shooting is supposed to be relaxing - some jerks out there seem to be hell bent on making sure it isn't, whether it's being too unsafe, or being a safety nazi, or those like in the OP's post that think the whole range belongs to them.

I've had nothing but good interactions wit the guys at HSC. ITs often pretty busy and people will always move their bags over to make room for me, and I do the same.

If a guy was being that much of a dick and hogging the plates you could just sit there and keep calling out all his mikes.

Thanks for all the feedback, its nice to vent to folks that can relate. I generally have a great experience at HSC and Im sure most of my visits will continue to be great. This guy was just a dink. Wasn't sure if there was some unknown rule about shooting plates at ranges. I do know about the sub gun steel but it was also packed....

Are the plates range property?

they are range property and HSC rules do not allow any one person or group to dominate a range

ETA: after seeing the hat picture, I think I know who you met on the Back 40. LOL. he's grumpy but he would have backed off if you had stayed.

Last edited:
Not paying attention during orientation, eh? [laugh2]
at my orientation, when we got to the sub gun range, we sat under the roof for a question session for 15-20 minutes. i never saw any steel there. they hide it when the newbies are on the march? this was 8 years ago, i'm thinking maybe it wasn't available there then?

Trust me, I am usually am one of the first to tell someone to eff off, but the is something of an uneasy feeling when getting into a confrontation at a range. Especially the back 40. Its literally behind the 7 and 25 yd range berm....

Whats he gonna do? Shoot you? Its social chicken.. He was socially aggressive come back more socially aggressive.

You turned way too early.. he won. Not that complicated.

I would say... "I pay my dues too bro.. I'm going to setup over there and use some steel. Thanks!"

He would throw a tantrum and prolly leave.. then you'd have the range to yourself.

Well, kinda. It was raining, and the guy kinda pointed over there and said, "that's where you shoot sub machine guns." And paying attention is not something i do before noon typically. ;)

Given your username, I wouldn't expect you to be up until 7 - get out of bed around nine. And not get on the bus until 11...

HSC gives you a chance to really enjoy your firearms. If one range is packed, drive the great circle (as I call it) and find a range you can spend some time on without feeling crammed.

I've noticed it to be a safe range and only had to remind someone about a safety event once and they were appreciative. Incident reports are best saved for flagrant violations, me thinks.

The steel belongs to the club and the only time a range is closed to the general membership is during a club function. He had no more right to be there than you. One of the problems with having over 2400 members is the number of dickheads also increases.

First, please always ask if someone is a member when they cause issues and ask for their ID. Part of club rules is they are supposed to have their club ID visible. You wouldn't believe the number of people who show up who are not members when the gate is up for functions. Usually asking for club ID and not tolerating rudeness puts most of the grumpy members in their place.

If you ever have an issue with a member that can't be resolved please contact any member of the board by email or PM me here.

All the steel as the ranges is club property and the guy was being inconsiderate with his comment.

Right next to the class 3 range is another pit with a bunch of large steel, just no plates.

There should have been a dealing tree and a plate rack, no way they guy can claim both pieces. Be assertive and polite and let the rude people not take "no" for an answer.

Harvard is a great club, just some people think either due to length of time at the club or a bad upbringing that they have priority over others. Straighten them out. If you can't, notify the board. I have also found out that going at different times, even by a couple hours can radically change the number of people at different areas.

I guess I'm in the minority because I dont see what the problem is. You show up at a range where someone else is shooting. He tells you what target he is shooting at and you leave (rather than move the other steel or set up paper). I just dont see the fuss/problem. I half expect a "I was almost robbed" counter post... something like this.

I was shooting at a quiet corner of the range today, no one around. Then this truck with two people shows up, one dudegets out the other stays in the truck. Dude comes over looking at all my gear, eyeballs my unloaded gun on the table, I try to make small talk but dude just leaves, he never set up a target or sighted anything in. Just looked at my stuff n left. As soon as I could I packed up my stuff n headed to busier range I didnt want to be alone if they came back [wink]

I guess I'm in the minority because I dont see what the problem is. You show up at a range where someone else is shooting. He tells you what target he is shooting at and you leave (rather than move the other steel or set up paper). I just dont see the fuss/problem. I half expect a "I was almost robbed" counter post... something like this.

I was shooting at a quiet corner of the range today, no one around. Then this truck with two people shows up, one dudegets out the other stays in the truck. Dude comes over looking at all my gear, eyeballs my unloaded gun on the table, I try to make small talk but dude just leaves, he never set up a target or sighted anything in. Just looked at my stuff n left. As soon as I could I packed up my stuff n headed to busier range I didnt want to be alone if they came back [wink]

possibly eboard members just checking you out?

Wow. This is why you don't subdivide land and sell it off to yuppies that don't let you shoot on your own property.

Just buy a double-barrel shotgun! Just buy some land! And don't be a ****ing yuppie!

Back
Top Bottom