Sharing Eye Doctor/Eyeware Recommendation

For those unfamiliar with RE Ranger Eyeware, it’s a Massachusetts company that makes a fantastic line of performance shooting eyeware along with filling some high-tech military contracts. Their Rendolph showroom is closed due to COVID. However, Kathy at Ranger directed me to Dr. Walter Potaznick at Optical Illusion, 584 High St., Dedham, MA to see their range of frames and lenses. Dr. Potaznick is an avid shotgun shooter and sportsman, took me as a walk-in even though I was not looking to purchase prescription lenses, and stepped me through the whole Ranger line with his personal and professional input. Not only did I receive the benefit of his professional and personal experience at no charge at all, but Dr. Potaznick offers a 10% discount to members of any sportsmans club and makes a $10 donation to your club’s youth shooting program with every purchase. A true gentleman!

If you’re in the market for new eyeware (or would like to deal with a fellow shooter for your contacts or prescription lenses) give Dr. Potaznick a call at 781-329-4337 and check out the RE Ranger line at Professional Shooting Eyewear | Trap, Clay & Skeet Shooting Eyewear

Dr. Potaznick also reminded me that shooting eyeware is eligible for purchase funding under a Medical Savings Accounet for anyone looking to spend down before year end.

I hope this is helpful!

Last edited:
Does he offer corrective lenses for the randolph rangers?
i have a set of RE that i have had for many years now , great set up nice lenses. i dont need Rx for the shotgun sports but for pistol and rifle I do.
i had a set of Rx lenses made for my RE back a few years. Worked great but my Rx needed a boost. I could not find anyone to make me another set of lenses for my RE set.
So i went with Decot Hywyd with Rx so i can see the front sight.

iused morgan optical 10 years ago but they gave me the run around this time. So i went with a new pair from Decot , went with this set up. Has the adjustable nose piece and taller ones available if needed , gets the lenses nice and high for prone and sitting position.

As far as eye Dr goes a fellow snooter and NES member

call and talk to him about your needs.

Does he offer corrective lenses for the randolph rangers?
Yes. He specifically asked me if I needed corrective lenses (I didn’t only because I shoot with contacts) and mentioned the option for corrective lenses on the Rangers. Certainly worth giving him a call. I got the impression from the folks at RE Ranger that he was one of their preferred vendors.

I don't know where you are, MAC1911, but I buy my Ranger XLW script insert lens from Franklin Optical in Portsmouth, NH 603-433-2400. Sandy does a great job. Sometimes their FB page or website has coupons that they even recognize for Randolph products.
BTW +2 for Dr. Ginsberg, been going to him for several years now.
ALSO Ranger is having a great sale on frames and lens now for Black Friday, if its not on their web, pm me and I will fwd my email.

I don't know where you are, MAC1911, but I buy my Ranger XLW script insert lens from Franklin Optical in Portsmouth, NH 603-433-2400. Sandy does a great job. Sometimes their FB page or website has coupons that they even recognize for Randolph products.
BTW +2 for Dr. Ginsberg, been going to him for several years now.
ALSO Ranger is having a great sale on frames and lens now for Black Friday, if its not on their web, pm me and I will fwd my email.
I have the older Ranger XLs which I really like and back then getting a RX lens was not hard.
I dont want inserts, I want the lenses itself to be corrective , the entire lens. For me the RE insert system sucks its in the way. Maybe if you need a major correction other than just focal distance ?
Just bothers me to have lenses behind a set of lenses? It is a cheaper alternative if you like to use a lot of diffrent shades of lenses.
Might be ok for pistol shooting?
Anyhow RE are nice my frames are 15 yrs old now
I found decot to be a little better fitting and having access to factory direct Rx lenses with out needing inserts was a deal maker.

I like my old RE rangers just fine and will be removing the Rx lenses and just keep them as dedicated to trap.
The Decot are nice and easy to get Rx lens made right from decot.

my big probem with any glasses while shooting is often they sit to low on your face so when your shooting prone or standing your often looking around the frame , bridge or nose piece. The older RE I have adjust pretty high up.
The Decot sit high and adjust even higher. Less frame in the way also.

This is why olympic shooters wear these for target shooting , you csn get that lense exactly where you need it....they are not safety glasses though.

Its all good and finding stuff that works for you is part of the fun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom