• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sharing a press?

Would it make any sense for two people to go in on one press?

Looking at the Dillon 550B, it looks like it could be mounted to a piece of plywood as a platform and that platform could be c-clamped to a workbench while in use. This would facilitate moving it when necessary.

When I got my 550 that was my exact plan. I bolted it to a chunk of 2x12 and used a deep C-clamp to hold it to my workbench. It works well. On some cartridges like new .500 S&W it moves a bit, so I can't thrash on it, but it's never come loose. If I'd used *two* clamps, it wouldn't move at all. I'd go for 2x12 and not plywood, unless you want to use some really thick plywood. dimensional lumber allows for much longer bolts to hold it down, and won't twist/bend as much.

When I got my 550 that was my exact plan. I bolted it to a chunk of 2x12 and used a deep C-clamp to hold it to my workbench. It works well. On some cartridges like new .500 S&W it moves a bit, so I can't thrash on it, but it's never come loose. If I'd used *two* clamps, it wouldn't move at all. I'd go for 2x12 and not plywood, unless you want to use some really thick plywood. dimensional lumber allows for much longer bolts to hold it down, and won't twist/bend as much.

Good to know. Thanks.

By plywood, I was actually thinking of using the 3/4" birch furniture plywood, which I'll bet is strong than a 2xN. I might even glue a couple of pieces together for more thickness and then urethane the wood.

I don't know about the press, it would seem like a hassle, not mentioning the blame game. There will always be one person doing most of the cleaning and fixing. Sometimes I just got enough time today to do x and more time to clean the area tomorrow. With two people that would not work.

I can see this may be working for other things like tumbling brass. At least when I needed it, I just did a large batch at once and my tumbler sits still most of the tiem, but that too will have some complications with dirt etc.

Good to know. Thanks.

By plywood, I was actually thinking of using the 3/4" birch furniture plywood, which I'll bet is strong than a 2xN. I might even glue a couple of pieces together for more thickness and then urethane the wood.

I'm setup with a LNL AP and did just that. I originally bolted it to a piece of scrap 3/4" ply, junk stuff not nice baltic birch, using the recommended size bolts and clamped that to the bench. I then made a new mount out of 2 pieces of scrap 3/4 glued and screwed so I could use 1/2" dia bolts which fit the holes in the casting a little better. countersunk the nuts and used some large washers and it's been all good; can unclamp and move it if I need to do some woodworking....

No to shared press, letting a buddy use yours on occasion of emergency one thing. Moving one around no chance. As far as mounting: 2 1/4 inch built up table top, cross braced, press bolted to table, table bolted to concrete floor, and table bolted with heavy bracket to steel post holding up floor above. Nothing shakes and still looking for ways to make it more rigid. (no wise cracks ok).

Back
Top Bottom