• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sgt. Mother and Son Serving in Kuwait

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Sgt. Mother and Son Serving in Kuwait

ARLINGTON, Vt. - Sgt. Julie Robertson doesn't mind being called Mom by some of the guys in her National Guard unit. That's because her oldest son Ryan, 25, is stationed at the same base camp as she is near the Iraq border in Kuwait.

The two — one of the very few mother-son combinations in the Vermont National Guard — have celebrated their birthdays and shared their meals together, she said.

"I probably don't see him much more than I would back here, but it's made it kind of nice," she said. "He tries to embarrass me and yell out 'Mom' and I get red in the face."

So, Mom became something of a nickname, she said.

I'm not sure if I know her or not. She's from the southern part of the state apparently, but probably from the Forward Support Battalion.

I was my son's Section Chief for quite a while. He wasn't even remotely allowed to call me "Dad" while on duty. He called me by my rank for a while, then got used to doing what everybody else did, call me by my name. Soon, it looks like he'll be my peer, both section chiefs in the same platoon. Scary.

Back
Top Bottom