1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Sex in the office question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jkelly1229, May 22, 2019.

?
  1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    45.9%
  1. Paul455

Paul455 NES Member

This

2. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

How could you fire someone with such a debilitating illness, can’t fire that would be wrong and insensitive. Nope, company needs to pay time off and therapy or get sued for discrimination

3. jpk

jpk

Actually it doesnt change the companies financial or legal risk.....the deed is in point of fact done.

Does the behavior warrant some sort of disciplinary action? Sure.....improper use of company resources yada yada yada.....but get over it and move forward put it in his/her permanent record and send him to some sort of training program to show that the company addressed the issue.

4. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

I disagree.

If the company does not take disciplinary action then they are normalizing the behavior.

If they fire the guy, then they are making it clear that such behavior is unacceptable. That reduces risk moving forward and reduces risk even from this incident — if sued over this incident, the company can say that as soon as they became aware of what happened, they took appropriate action.

buckfarack likes this.
  5. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i have been in big industry since the late '70's. Without an exception, EVERY HR department i worked with over the years had been EXTREMELY politically correct. There IS no leniency if the perp is a MALE, and the supposed victim a FEMALE.

I actually used this to my advantage once. Had a female design engineer. She was every bit as good as the other male engineers i had, but she was paid a good 25% less than the males. It was one of those companies where a 3% raise was considered "a good raise". So i was not going to be able to bring her up to parity. But at her performance review time....i pointed out the salary disparity, and my opinion that her training and performance was at the same level as her male counterparts. She got a 15% raise that year. Someone in HR was on a mission after my review! :)

solomon454 likes this.
  6. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

That room would be tricky, too much risk of someone walking in. Plus, the wall of windows for whoever walks by. You'd need to do it at 3am on a Sunday and hope no workaholic isn't putting in overtime.

7. jpk

jpk

I didnt suggest taking no disciplinary action

Firing the guy in point of fact doesnt change the fact that it already happened and if the other party makes a complaint or tries to file charges the company will still be subject to same liability regardless.

Its not as if firing the person erases their liability or the fact that they failed to do stuff like restrict access to facility outside of business hours or any number of imaginary/real things the company COULD have done to prevent something like this from happening

Firing the person may make the puritans out there FEEL better but it doesnt change anything except reveal that the company is unwilling to deal with reality and is going to throw its employees under the bus.....not advocating that people do dumb shit.....sex in the office with anyone in any way shape or form related to business is one of the dumbest f***ing things I can thing of but its not countered by a business doing equally frivolous dumb reactionary shit.......

It can be a learning experience for the company OR the company can demonstrate their willingness to can people/throw them under the bus

One is productive, the other isnt

xjma99 likes this.
  8. richc

richc NES Member

xjma99 likes this.
  9. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

This

10. new guy

new guy NES Member

It also depends (largely) on the company in question. Large public company is a different game than small private operation.

xjma99 likes this.
  11. M1911

Firing the guy sends the strongest possible message to employees and best protects the company from a hostile workplace lawsuit or a metoo lawsuit from other employees who claim that company tolerated sexual harassment.

The legal jeopardy is not just from persons involved in this particular incident but also from others who would use this incident and the company’s response as evidence.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  12. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

Hilarious that I stumbled across this thread as I skim through my "Preventing Workplace Harassment" training.

13. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

Sounds a lot like a story my wife told me about that occurred at her current employer (before she was hired). Was this north shore company in Peabody at the time?....

14. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

Same.

Hetzer likes this.
  15. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

This brings leaving an upper decker to a whole new level.

xjma99 and The5thDentist like this.
  16. new guy

new guy NES Member

We put them in at the entrances of all of our locations a few years back due to clients' physical security requirements. Some of the bigger companies out there won't let you hold their protected data unless you have cameras at access points.

M1911 and andrew1220 like this.
  17. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

I'm sure that's true, my point is, everyone involved in the decision that lost millions for the company should be fired. But they're not, they're rewarded. Lots of low-level workers will get laid off though, to pay for management's stupidity.

Stock buybacks are massive at stock market peaks, and negligible at stock market bottoms. Seems dumb, buy high, sell low. But executives are rewarded for short-term stock performance, so it benefits them to buy back stock no matter how expensive it is.

18. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

Gotcha. I'm surprised we didn't have cameras at my last job due to having millions of dollars in equipment.

My new/current job is with the state of MA and I haven't noticed cameras but never really bothered to look either.

19. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

The only sex I ever got in the office was getting bent over at review time.

mass, xjma99, BUMPA01603 and 3 others like this.
  20. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

1. The company wouldn't just fire him. They would probably pay him a severance to leave and in the process he would sign an agreement to not sue.

2. The guy was caught on camera with his pants down and leaving a used condom on a desk. Good luck with that lawsuit.

3. This is not throwing employees under the bus. Throwing employees under the bus is what Wells Fargo did, when they set up a whistle blower line that was supposed to be confidential and then fired the people that reported unethical behaviour. This is nothing like that.

I know you are trying your hardest to stick to your point, but this is one of those cases where letting the guy go (and the woman, if she is found) would be the best course of action for the company. The company needs to protect itself legally.

You let him go by allowing hin to resign and have a clean resume. Done.

Keeping this in the company just wont end well.

I guess every employee can now use that office as a whore house. Bring all your dates and f*** them. Who cares, right?

xjma99, buckfarack and M1911 like this.
  21. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

only read the title and my answer is YES!

22. new guy

new guy NES Member

Full disclosure: I've personally had 3 different bare asses on the desk in my office - including at least one incident that involved sprayed bodily fluids.

xjma99 likes this.
  23. jpk

jpk

Since the dawn of time people have been bumping and grinding at the office.....and in 99.9999999999999% of the cases no one got caught and no one got butt hurt.....and there were no consequences for the company or any other parties

People/Puritans are manufacturing problems where none exist.....

ooooooo.....a couple people f***ed.....bfd.........

Now, if someone pulled a slick willy and f***ed a barely legal subordinate that would be a different situation.........

xjma99 likes this.
  24. new guy

new guy NES Member

(my kids getting their diapers changed)

25. Glockster30

Glockster30 NES Member

It definitely is/was a biohazard. I would have demanded that my desk be decontaminated and/or would have moved to another desk.

xjma99 and jpk like this.
  26. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

The office manager at the Mill is the only female in the empire. She has the LTC like the rest of us. I respect her and would never consider an advance. I would probably get my balls shot off if I did. Jack.

27. M1911

[laugh] At first I was jealous. Now? Not so much.

xjma99, new guy and andrew1220 like this.
  28. Bob P

Bob P NES Member

The issue is hostile work environment. His acts are almost certainly in violation to the company’s anti harassment policy. Even if both parties consented the public nature puts it in violation as does especially the condom left behind.

M1911 likes this.
  29. minininjer

minininjer NES Door Greeter NES Member

Why is this even a question? Lol ... unless you're a prostitute or something, there shouldn't be any sex on the job or at work.

M1911 likes this.
  30. BUMPA01603

BUMPA01603 NES Member

Terminating him might be a little...... premature....... [laugh]