Severin suspended from WTKK

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sirius is the dominant company in the merger and most people suspect XM users will be converted over to Sirius to consolidate on a single hardware platform. For now, they're blending them somewhat my offering cross programming.
Yah I know they merged a while ago. I got an XM receiver last night - you still have to choose between them for some reason. (they don't say SiriusXM on them, it's either/or) Tonight I shall activate it and squabble to see how good a deal I can get. The packages are a tad confusing because of the crossover between the two.

Kills me to pay for "radio", but I swear half the time I'm listening to commercials...and frankly I'm board with local stations.

Billsail

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Kills me to pay for "radio", but I swear half the time I'm listening to commercials...and frankly I'm board with local stations.
Don't be fooled. You'll still have to endure commercials. Just way, way less of them. The best thing, if you do a lot of driving, you will never lose the station (except maybe a two second interuption under an overpass). I think the newer units have better "buffer" software though.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
^^ Thanks. I know that commercials have worked their way onto satellite radio (unforunately). FYI, I believe they list commerial free stations separately on their plan info. A substantial reduction, and a choice of picking commerical free channels will be nice [grin]

capewalk

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
yah, I got the same email. Buy-bye TKK. Picking up satellite tonight...hmm Sirius or XM subsciption?

Had enough listening to crap on the local stations. This pretty much sticks the fork in it.
I just got rid if Sirius. As far as I'm concerned there isn't any talk radio there worth listening to and I got tired of paying 16 bucks a month only to be told I should pay more to listen online and get the best of XM. I get plenty of stuff to listen to from streaming sources and podcasts. Having Sirius call me every day for two months after I asked them not to was an unexpected treat also.

Titan

Banned
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yah I know they merged a while ago. I got an XM receiver last night - you still have to choose between them for some reason. (they don't say SiriusXM on them, it's either/or) Tonight I shall activate it and squabble to see how good a deal I can get. The packages are a tad confusing because of the crossover between the two.

I like it so I can follow events on FNC from the car, when news is breaking.

Sirius gets you the Howard Stern and NFL without a separate add-on.

XM does the same with MLB. For me, that's the major disction. Never cared for Stern and the car I bought came with XM.

Titan

Banned
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Don't be fooled. You'll still have to endure commercials. Just way, way less of them. The best thing, if you do a lot of driving, you will never lose the station (except maybe a two second interuption under an overpass). I think the newer units have better "buffer" software though.
I find that trees are a big problem, especially on heavily lined rural roads. You don't get a good enough angle to get a clear signal if the trees are really tall and leafy..... lots of transmission hiccups.

For anyone routinely driving lots of highway miles, though, either channel is great for listening what you want to, when you want to, without having to constantly futz around with the channel selector.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I had been listening to Severin for a little while and the first time I heard him praising Romney I swear I did a double take at the radio.
It could be worse... until not too long ago, he used to have praise for John Kerry. That just sickened me.

tictac

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used to like severin, it has gotten so old, I turn him off and listen to the silence. ......I find it more entertaining
+1 but instead of silence, I listen to sports radio 98.5 or WEEI in 103.7. The Mikey show is the best...that guy is funny.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Severin is a tool bag. How is it he calls his listeners, "the best and brightest" and then can turn around and have sponsors that are so useless and selling of garbage. "Act now, supplies are limited!" "Call now for your free trial, just pay shipping and handling" "Do you want to loose weight? THen you qualify for our free trial... "

Aside from the fact that he toots his own horn and opinion, asks for callers, lets most of them say half a sentance then cuts them off and finishes his thoughts on the matter.

Tool Bag = Jay

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Severin is a tool bag. How is it he calls his listeners, "the best and brightest" and then can turn around and have sponsors that are so useless and selling of garbage. "Act now, supplies are limited!" "Call now for your free trial, just pay shipping and handling" "Do you want to loose weight? THen you qualify for our free trial... "
That's a problem that seems to have infected all the talk stations. (Is it on music stations too? I never listen to those.) Almost every ad on the radio now is about a get rich quick scam, a get out of debt scam, a don't pay your taxes scam, a work from home scam, another drug that you need to take every day, or a drug that you need to get a stiffie. Do advertisers even do studies first to see what the audience is like that they are targeting? They must think conservative talk radio consists of deadbeat losers who easily fall for scams and have trouble getting it up. I can't speak for everyone, but I for one do not fit their target audience.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Severin is a tool bag. How is it he calls his listeners, "the best and brightest" and then can turn around and have sponsors that are so useless and selling of garbage.
Every radio station has companies on it hawking garbage.

Although frankly, if I hear 1-877 Kars for Kids again.... I mean, that's basically a threat to national security right there. You could start riots with that stuff- that's how awful it is. If they had played that s**t on a loop outside of that church in Panama, Noriega would have been out of that church in about 15 minutes flat begging for forgiveness.

That commercial is the epitome of aural bu**ery.

-Mike

Dench

NES Member
Rating - 100%
99   0   0

Although frankly, if I hear 1-877 Kars for Kids again.... I mean, that's basically a threat to national security right there. You could start riots with that stuff- that's how awful it is. If they had played that s**t on a loop outside of that church in Panama, Noriega would have been out of that church in about 15 minutes flat begging for forgiveness.

-Mike
i HATE that commercial.

groundscrapers

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I like the commercial "were getting better food for less money" referring to ebt cards. In my head I get mad because there getting food for free. Not less money. Free. On my dime.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I like it so I can follow events on FNC from the car, when news is breaking.

Sirius gets you the Howard Stern and NFL without a separate add-on.

XM does the same with MLB. For me, that's the major disction. Never cared for Stern and the car I bought came with XM.
Allegedly the bandwidth on XM is better for music and Sirius better for talk, but since I've never listened to Sirius, I don't know. The content on the merged network is not as good as it was before the merger. On the stations I listen to they've gone to playing more second tier artists and lessor known stuff from well known artists. I think that might have to do with the royalty structure. Occasionally I'll listen to Blue Collar Comedy and that has commercials. The other stuff I listen too, music and MLB doesn't have them. Even as decontented as it's become over the last couple of years, it's still better than terrestrial radio.

As to Severin, he jumped the shark before the '04 elections. Mr. Political Analyst got that election wrong, he got the 2000 election wrong, he got the 2002 mid terms wrong. He's also constantly harped that we would see elimination of 2A rights. I wasn't listening by the time Heller came down, but I'd expect that he was predicting that SCOTUS would rule that the 2A was a collective right.

I wonder how his extended warranty from Autolines is working out?

jshooter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0

-Mike
That and the stupid ad that sounds like an old episode of Lassie. If I hear the whistling and the kid crying for "Sassie" one more time I'm going to go nuts.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
That and the stupid ad that sounds like an old episode of Lassie. If I hear the whistling and the kid crying for "Sassie" one more time I'm going to go nuts.
"Sassie I'm going to put you in the well with johnny if you don't stop misbehaving!"
"Bow wow wow wow"
"You'd rather talk to us about shelter pet adoption??? Well, take this ya little s**t!"
"BLAM!"
"ROOO ROOO ROO ROOOO!!!!"

Ok, I'm going to hell now.

-Mike

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Allegedly the bandwidth on XM is better for music and Sirius better for talk, but since I've never listened to Sirius, I don't know.
I know that the talk stations on XM are kinda swailley-swishy-gurgly and s**ty/digital, chinsey reailplayerish sounding. The music stations come in clear, though, but part of why I never went past my freebie sub on XM is because of the crappy voice quality. The other problem is most of the talk stations on XM are boring as hell.

-Mike

Rating - 100%
13   0   0

-Mike
+1

I change the station immediately for this one, and the commercial with the lady "trucker" with a strong "ebonics" accent and high blood pressure. The second commercial has me screaming at the radio "...and they should have left you there!".

Pilgrim

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Any one REALLY wonder why he was fired?

Listen to the sponsors that they have now. During his show I've heard the following social based sponsors ad naseum:

Kars for Kids
Habitat for Humanity
Boston Food Bank
Ma State Teacher's Union
Partnership for a Drug Free America
Boston Mayor's Office (EBT cards)
National Assoc of Mental Illness
ABC Home Healthcare
American Lung Assoc
Helping Hands of America
American Diabetes Society
Designated Drivers
American Heart Association

there are many more that I just can't remember

not one of the advertisers in his time slot provided any goods or real services.

Want to bet how long Graham lasts?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think TKK has jumped the shark.

Severin will land where he can speak his mind (what ever that is). Whether I've agreed with him or not, he's been neutured since his last suspension and I had all ready lost interest. He USED to be interesting and entertaining even on things I didn't agree on. It's been quite some time since he provided that, and TKK bowing to censorship is the reason IMO.

Don't read this as me being some uber fan of Severin - I was not. But it's hard to find much worth listening to. Too bad Graham is not on for the ride home.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see WTKK finally canned that moron Bower.
True, yet given the bio of his replacement I think they may have jumped from the pan into the fire:
Tom is a columnist for the Boston Globe's op-ed page and the Boston Sunday Globe Magazine...a Boston city councilor for six years from 1994-1999...While in college, Tom was president of the Harvard-Radcliffe Democrats...a director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts...

Dench

NES Member
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I couldn't stand Bower, and the new guy seems to be worse. I am picking XM back up.
I was gone for a long time. Severin scared me away already with his BS, Bower was worse, which I didnt even think was possible, and the guy that was on wednesday was inbetween Severin and Bower.

I like Gram though

Top Bottom